Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else tired of the "anti" selling of M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the final interior. Production starts in 2 months. They're finishing the assembly line now. Unfortunately, this is it. And I don't need to sit in it to know that controlling everything with an ipad is a stupid idea.
I'm not worried -- at all.

First off, the steering wheel will have controls.
Second, there will likely be voice recognition
Third, most controls are set up and forget em.
Fourth, I trust Tesla to use the monitor screen wisely and to build in some flexibility

Reactions: Runt8 and T34ME
I'm not worried -- at all.

First off, the steering wheel will have controls.
Second, there will likely be voice recognition
Third, most controls are set up and forget em.
Fourth, I trust Tesla to use the monitor screen wisely and to build in some flexibility
I don't want to talk to my car. People talking to machines always look and sound stupid.
Climate settings, audio volume, audio source, seat heat, sunroof, etc get changed frequently and I can do it in my current car without taking my eyes off the road. Tesla's approach reduces functionality and is therefore inferior.

This is the final interior. Production starts in 2 months. They're finishing the assembly line now. Unfortunately, this is it. And I don't need to sit in it to know that controlling everything with an ipad is a stupid idea.

Maybe it's not. Tesla people read these forums, and they know we have people here who have nothing better to do with their lives than to micro-analyze and speculate on every little thing about the 3. Maybe the test cars Tesla is letting us see are made to look the way they are to mess with us.

At least, I sure hope that's what they are doing. I want an instrument cluster and a second screen just like the Model S, and I do not like this current dashboard plain design at all.

And a metal roof. With Sirius Satellite Radio on the BASE sound system, and on and on.....

Maybe it's not. Tesla people read these forums, and they know we have people here who have nothing better to do with their lives than to micro-analyze and speculate on every little thing about the 3. Maybe the test cars Tesla is letting us see are made to look the way they are to mess with us.
I don't think they have the money or time for that.

I don't want to talk to my car. People talking to machines always look and sound stupid.
Climate settings, audio volume, audio source, seat heat, sunroof, etc get changed frequently and I can do it in my current car without taking my eyes off the road. Tesla's approach reduces functionality and is therefore inferior.

Get into any new car and I bet you can't do most of that stuff without taking your eyes off the road simply due to unfamiliarity. The only reason you can do it in your car is because you are used to your car... if you like your car so much then why not keep it.

For the rest of us, we will learn how to use certain controls without really looking too in a Tesla Model 3. :)

Get into any new car and I bet you can't do most of that stuff without taking your eyes off the road simply due to unfamiliarity. The only reason you can do it in your car is because you are used to your car... if you like your car so much then why not keep it.

For the rest of us, we will learn how to use certain controls without really looking too in a Tesla Model 3. :)
No i can do it in my car because I can safely reach out without moving my eyes off the road, find the controls, and adjust them. Same as you can quickly learn to do in any car with PHYSICAL rather than touchscreen controls.
I like my car's controls, but I don't like the gasoline part.
Tesla is alienating customers by forcing them to pick between controls that they like in a gas car, or an electric car with worse controls. It's an unforced error on tesla's part. Just like the gullwing doors were.

No i can do it in my car because I can safely reach out without moving my eyes off the road, find the controls, and adjust them. Same as you can quickly learn to do in any car with PHYSICAL rather than touchscreen controls.
I like my car's controls, but I don't like the gasoline part.
Tesla is alienating customers by forcing them to pick between controls that they like in a gas car, or an electric car with worse controls. It's an unforced error on tesla's part. Just like the gullwing doors were.

I can type on a touchscreen just like a normal keyboard without looking, I'm not sure how that's difference as long as I know where the edges are.

Also when the car is able to drive itself. I think it's not really going to be a concern anyway.

You do realize the Model S is also controlled via touchscreen?

Most people seem to love it (myself included). Since touchscreen control is a "trademark" Tesla feature I can't magine why anyone would think the Model 3 would be controlled by buttons and knobs instead of by a touchscreen. It is the equivalent of expecting the next iPhone to have a physical keyboard.

Reactions: JeffK
YMMV;
I live in a nice sunny climate and pay about 0.5 cents a mile for EV driving.

PV+EV makes a lot of sense. For comparison, my Prius Prime petrol miles cost about 6 cents a mile. The only downside for me is that my EV miles are so cheap I cannot bother keeping track of the cost anymore. PV is making me lazy.

Colorado turns PV+EV into a no-brainer:

$35k Model 3
(7.5k) fuel savings
(5k) Colorado tax credit
(7.5k) Federal tax credit
------
15k out of pocket for Model 3 before TTL for me which is crazy, but any homeowner with decent PV resources can swing a Model 3 for around $28k even without tax credits.

I would love to get PV. I made a compromise when I bought my house: Located in a seniors' community I don't need to worry about lawn mowing or snow shoveling when I'm gone, and the association deals with all roof maintenance. But the association rules forbid solar panels. We, the owners, make those rules, but the mostly fixed-income home owners don't have a long enough time horizon to make PV desirable to them. So instead, I've bought solar bonds, to help others get solar panels.

I have not seen the "final" interior. Maybe someone could post a link to a picture. I hate the idea of touch-screen controls. But I'll reserve judgement until I've driven the car. If it's really intolerable I'll stick with my Roadster. Or if the Model 3 is just too big for me. Or if the AP doesn't perform as I expect. Sometimes technology makes things worse. Sometimes it just takes time to get used to the new stuff. I have hated every new computer I've ever bought, and every major OS upgrade, until I finally got used to them.

Some folks seem to think Tesla is trying to make the Model 3 bad on purpose. I think that's ridiculous. They're trying to make things better. Whether they succeed or not we won't know until we've tasted the pudding. No matter what they do, some folks will hate it and some will love it.

Reactions: Carl
You do realize the Model S is also controlled via touchscreen?

Most people seem to love it (myself included). Since touchscreen control is a "trademark" Tesla feature I can't magine why anyone would think the Model 3 would be controlled by buttons and knobs instead of by a touchscreen. It is the equivalent of expecting the next iPhone to have a physical keyboard.
Terrible comparison. iphones need touch screens to fit maximum functions on to a tiny space. A dashboard does not share that space limitation. But people saw that touchscreen=better for phones, so they blindly accept that touchscreen=better for cars, when it's not.

Terrible comparison. iphones need touch screens to fit maximum functions on to a tiny space. A dashboard does not share that space limitation. But people saw that touchscreen=better for phones, so they blindly accept that touchscreen=better for cars, when it's not.
It does, in fact, share that limitation. If every button on that touchscreen in every menu were its own physical button that would be a nightmare (and non-upgradable).

That's your opinion but as I said most people seem to love the touchscreen feature of the Model S and last I checked the Model S was trouncing the competition so it can't be all bad.:)

In any case I don't think the Model 3 touchscreen control should be a surprise to anyone who follows Tesla since touchscreen control is a "trademark" feature most people associate with Tesla just as they do with an iPhone. I would have been shocked if the Model 3 did not have touchscreen control.

Reactions: JeffK

It's not even 'your' car yet.

I don't need to sit in it to know that controlling everything with an ipad is a stupid idea.

If you hate the Model 3's idea that much already before even test driving, you can just walk away and get your 'better' car from somewhere else.

Reactions: Runt8
That's your opinion but as I said most people seem to love the touchscreen feature of the Model S and last I checked the Model S was trouncing the competition so it can't be all bad.:)

In any case I don't think the Model 3 touchscreen control should be a surprise to anyone who follows Tesla since touchscreen control is a "trademark" feature most people associate with Tesla just as they do with an iPhone. I would have been shocked if the Model 3 did not have touchscreen control.
Oh its not a surprise. It's the same mistake they made with the Model S. People are buying it for the performance and power train. Not the touchscreen, which actually prevent some sales.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8
It's not even 'your' car yet.

If you hate the Model 3's idea that much already before even test driving, you can just walk away and get your 'better' car from somewhere else.
I might do that. I'm simply discussing why tesla is risking alienating so many customers like me with the touchscreen, which has nothing to do with the company's mission - saving the earth with widespread adoption of electric cars.

As it stands: Model S/X have MANY more physical buttons than Model 3 and a physical button based instrument cluster screen adding to those.

It seems like Model 3 may be more extreme take. But even Model S/X is a pain to operate at times. Many common things are far harder to do than on an Audi.

I don't dislike the Model S/X interface, but just being real. Many things take more clicks and require looking away from the road...

And this with more buttons than Model 3. I think Model S/X may well have 20+ more physical buttons than Model 3 seems to have. Perhaps even more.

It does, in fact, share that limitation. If every button on that touchscreen in every menu were its own physical button that would be a nightmare (and non-upgradable).
There's a middle ground between EVERY function having a button, and EVERY function being on a touch screen.

Telsas still have power window buttons. If touchscreens are better, why isn't that a touchscreen function?

Last edited:
Reactions: Big-T