Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else tired of the "anti" selling of M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so I finally found some pictures, supposed to be recent ones, and it looks as though the screen might be close enough to the driver, and high enough up, that it might not be as hard to see as I had feared. I still don't like touch-screen controls. For one thing, if the screen fails, would you even be able to drive the car? But it might not be all that bad. To repeat, I'll wait until I've driven one to decide. I probably won't place my order until I've had a test drive. But I'll take a test drive as soon as I get the chance.

Okay, so I finally found some pictures, supposed to be recent ones, and it looks as though the screen might be close enough to the driver, and high enough up, that it might not be as hard to see as I had feared. I still don't like touch-screen controls. For one thing, if the screen fails, would you even be able to drive the car? But it might not be all that bad. To repeat, I'll wait until I've driven one to decide. I probably won't place my order until I've had a test drive. But I'll take a test drive as soon as I get the chance.
From Model S, even if both screens fail, the car is still drive-able. I don't see that changing with Model 3.

Isnt it safe to assume that the screen (singular) will fail or somehow otherwise get damaged?
To think this somehow renders the car unable to be driven in some way is probably over thinking things a bit.

Sometimes it just takes time to get used to the new stuff. I have hated every new computer I've ever bought, and every major OS upgrade, until I finally got used to them.
If only more people had your insight and modesty.

Some folks seem to think Tesla is trying to make the Model 3 bad on purpose. I think that's ridiculous. They're trying to make things better. Whether they succeed or not we won't know until we've tasted the pudding. No matter what they do, some folks will hate it and some will love it.
Yep

Third, most controls are set up and forget em.

With this, I disagree strongly. I frequently change the volume on the radio, and adjust the supposed AutoClimate control on my current cars. Unless Elon has figured out a way for a Vulcan mind meld, I assume that I will do the same on the M3, (or at least I will try).

If the volume control is on the steering wheel, that will work.

Not sure how to control the temperature, however, without major distraction by playing with the tablet.

Like another poster on this thread. I too have a "moon" roof on my current sedan, and I think I have opened it twice in 10+ years. Thus, I could do without all an all-glass roofline. Plus, wouldn't a metal insert be more structurally sound?

btw: I'm all in, and will still exercise my Reservation. However, my wife will likely pass on Res #2.

Last edited:
Reactions: slipnslider
It will work if it's on a knob that can be quickly spun from low to high volume. If you have to sit there pressing UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP to get to the volume you want, and then DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN when you want to say something to your passenger, then it's still inferior technology to an old fashioned volume knob on the center console.

It will work if it's on a knob that can be quickly spun from low to high volume. If you have to sit there pressing UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP to get to the volume you want, and then DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN when you want to say something to your passenger, then it's still inferior technology to an old fashioned volume knob on the center console.

Have you ever increased or decreased the volume on an S/X? It's a wheel you turn with your thumb...

Software allows for so many more options that just a button or knob.
e.g. you could have a gesture where you swipe across the audio section of the screen for fast control between 0/100. Or touching the radio brings up a large on screen dial you twist. Having to tap tap tap your volume on a touchscreen would just be poor UX.

Software allows for so many more options that just a button or knob.
e.g. you could have a gesture where you swipe across the audio section of the screen for fast control between 0/100. Or touching the radio brings up a large on screen dial you twist. Having to tap tap tap your volume on a touchscreen would just be poor UX.
I was referring to the controls on the steering wheel, where a volume wheel would be very beneficial. I've only seen cars with volume +/- buttons on the steering wheel, but that doesn't bother me when there's a volume knob on the console. My point is there needs to be a knob SOMEWHERE that can be located and operated without taking your eyes off the road. In my 2006 car, I can also toggle audio sources, select preset radio stations by simply feeling the buttons, and adjust climate settings on a knob without looking.

No no, it's all wrong...
up, up, down down, left, right, left right, B, A, start

Reactions: rabar10
With this, I disagree strongly. I frequently change the volume on the radio, and adjust the supposed AutoClimate control on my current cars. Unless Elon has figured out a way for a Vulcan mind meld, I assume that I will do the same on the M3, (or at least I will try).

Not sure how to control the temperature, however, without major distraction by playing with the tablet.

Like another poster on this thread. I too have a "moon" roof on my current sedan, and I think I have opened it twice in 10+ years. Thus, I could do without all an all-glass roofline. Plus, wouldn't a metal insert be more structurally sound?

btw: I'm all in, and will still exercise my Reservation. However, my wife will likely pass on Res #2.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf
Read the model S manual on the steering wheel controls. The volume is directly controlled by the scroll wheel on the left. The temperature/fan speed can be controlled by pressing menu and using the right scroll wheel.

The Model 3 is missing the 4 buttons, but clearly has two track balls that likely will provide the same functionality.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
From Model S, even if both screens fail, the car is still drive-able. I don't see that changing with Model 3.

But with everything on the screen, you'd have no indication of vehicle speed, and you'd be unable to perform any function other than steering, acceleration & braking, and whatever's on the steering wheel. Maybe you could change climate controls from the steering wheel, but you'd have no idea what you'd changed the setting to. Likewise, you'd have no way of setting AP parameters, or if those controls are also on the wheel you'd have no way of knowing what setting you had. The car would be drivable, but you'd be "blind" as to all your settings. At the very least, a speedometer and distance-to-empty indicator should be displayed independently.

... If you have to sit there pressing UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP to get to the volume you want, and then DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN when you want to say something to your passenger, then it's still inferior technology to an old fashioned volume knob on the center console.

This is something I hate about my Prius. Whether I use the steering-wheel buttons or the touch screen I have to keep pressing Up or Down to get where I want. Some things are just plain better with old-fashioned knobs!!!

This is something I hate about my Prius. Whether I use the steering-wheel buttons or the touch screen I have to keep pressing Up or Down to get where I want. Some things are just plain better with old-fashioned knobs!!!

But it's Tesla. It has to be a high-tech solution, even if it is not a better solution. Just like the way that Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 all tried to improve on Windows 7 and failed more miserably with each attempt. (I'm an IT support person and PC repair pro, I know).