Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even though they aren't saying it, I don't think there will ever be upgrades from MCU2 to MCU3. There are too many other hardware & firmware differences on the older S/X that would be incompatible with MCU3.

There is no MCU3, at least not yet.

There are MCU1 and MCU2 (Media Control Unit, responsible for infotainment).
All S/X before Feb 2018 had MCU1
All Model 3s have been built with MCU2 from the beginning

There are AP1, AP2.0, AP2.5, and AP3 (Autopilot Computers)
All cars built starting June 2018 have AP3, sometimes called “HW3”.
Before June 2018 Model 3s were built with MCU2.

Even though they aren't saying it, I don't think there will ever be upgrades from MCU2 to MCU3. There are too many other hardware & firmware differences on the older S/X that would be incompatible with MCU3.

MCU is the media computer. There is no MCU3.

If you mean the driving computer, Green found code in the current firmware that shows they're actively working on making HW2.0 work with the FSD computer (formerly called HW3)

You fell into your own trap there at the end :)

Also you mean 2019 not 2018.

Anyway- model 3s all have MCU2. And prior to spring/summer 2019 had the AP2.5 computer. (I say spring/summer because some cars were still being delivered for months after the original "we have switched to HW3" announcement)

No Model 3 ever had MCU1 or AP2.0

Reactions: VValleyEV
You fell into your own trap there at the end :)

Also you mean 2019 not 2018.

Anyway- model 3s all have MCU2. And prior to spring/summer 2019 had the AP2.5 computer. (I say spring/summer because some cars were still being delivered for months after the original "we have switched to HW3" announcement)

No Model 3 ever had MCU1 or AP2.0

Thanks, still halfway through first cup of coffee. Deserves empahsiing, for newbies it is totally not obvious that there are two critical computers not one, and they have different purposes and different revision levels that do not track together.

I may be unlucky in that I have one of the very last Model S with MCU1, built just a week or so after the cutover to MCU2 in Feb 2018. HOWEVER, the silver lining may be that it is running just fine, slower than my wife’s M3 of course but I am delighted to have Spotify, and the voice control is better with latest release, and the visualization is getting better (but without the stop lights/signs because I still have AP2.5).

I did pay for FSD so am anxiously awaiting an AP3/HW3 upgrade, which is why I am monitoring several of these threads and blathering on about the subject. I am especially anxious to hear of at least one vehicle having an MCU1 and AP2.5 like mine that has been upgraded to AP3/HW3 by Tesla SC as promised because I paid for FSD. So far all the S/X updated by Tesla SC to AP3/HW3 are those with MCU2, at least as far as I can tell.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Well- we know from Green that HW3 is a plug and play works-perfectly drop in for MCU1 cars, so I wouldn't worry too much about it even if they're not scheduling the work at SCs yet- there's no physical or technical reason they can't do it, and it's known working in at least 1 vehicle where they did their own upgrade.

It's the HW2.0 folks for whom the new FSD computer doesn't actually work right now (though Tesla appears to be trying to fix that)

OK. Thanks for the clarification. With that info, I don't think there will ever be upgrades from AP2.0 to AP3.0. There are too many other hardware & firmware differences on the older S/X that would be incompatible with AP3.0.

No one so far with MCU1, meaning S/X before late Feb 2018. I am nervously awaiting news of at least one of these, but resigned that they likely won’t do a single one until 100% of M3s and 100% of S/X with MCU2 have been upgraded.

If ANYONE knows of FSD S/X MCU1 upgraded to HW3 by Tesla, please speak up.

Picked up my retrofitted car this morning. Need to drive more to finish calibrating AP. FSD preview graphics all worked. Traffic light detection was working better than I expected. Reverse camera quality seemed better. Had to pair my phone again but didn’t notice anything else missing. Kind of amusing that the cameras are calibrated enough to visualize cones and trash cans but not cars.

Reactions: Gt1948 and EinSV
Don't wait, schedule :)

On the other hand there's still no functional benefit to HW3 (just visualization differences)- and Tesla does rev parts over time.... so waiting could be a good idea to:

A) Get a newer version of the part.... (I don't mean like HW4, but you might get rev 5 of HW3 instead of rev 4 or whatever)

and

B) Let the SC get really used to doing them on model 3s (where the install is more complex than on S/X)

Reactions: israndy