Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had issues with DIY chrome delete with the cold weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Looks like my chrome delete has came away a little round the mirror, guessing due to the cold weather.

Should I just get the heat gun out and smooth it down again, looks like it has got caught a little on the mirrors when folding in and out (currently switched off the folding option)?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi,

Looks like my chrome delete has came away a little round the mirror, guessing due to the cold weather.

Should I just get the heat gun out and smooth it down again, looks like it has got caught a little on the mirrors when folding in and out (currently switched off the folding option)?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I've had mine on for a little under a year, from Nikola Pro - no problems at all yet ( hopefully none) majority of the time when parked at home it's in the garage though . 21k miles and counting....

Reactions: j1mgg
I didn't want to start a new thread but if someone does crome delete on their badges/mirrors would that be enough of a modification that the insurance company needs to know about?
My “common sense” brain says why should you, but in the light of so many reports of insurance companies looking for excuses not to pay out I would not be so sure about not declaring it.
What I feel sure about is that I can’t see it why it should make a flying f*** difference to their assessment of your risk to them🙄

I think the only time as issue with a cosmetic modification to an insurance company would be if you made a claim and added the cost of the cosmetic work to the job if that had been damaged in the accident. Providing you bear the cost of making that change and have no intention of ever listing the mod as a benefit they should reinstate then why would they need to know about it? I include for clarification and to be fair, any claim - even a non fault - just suck it up.

Better to ask them and be covered, than assume it's ok and find out it isn't.

Be warned, however, some insurers don't like wraps at all (Direct Line springs to mind). I would hope that anyone contemplating modifying their car checks with their insurance before shelling out to get it done.

Come to think of it, it's not even the mirrors. The mirrors are already blacked out and I just need to plasti dip the badges. I've been reading older threads, it seems my provider is okay with it, just needs to note it and won't cover it. Still seems a bit over the top to tell the insurance company of something so basic.

I just need to plasti dip the badges.
Would you like these?

20210609_194330.jpg

They're Satin Black and just stick on top of the badges, they cover the sides too so you don't see the silver.

Had an issue with an order a while ago so these have just been sat in the cupboard.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Would you like these?

View attachment 671341

They're Satin Black and just stick on top of the badges, they cover the sides too so you don't see the silver.

Had an issue with an order a while ago so these have just been sat in the cupboard.

Thank you for the offer but after doing more research I really don't know where I stand with getting the chrome delete done with the insurance due to my car being a business vehicle. I struggle to see why such minor nonperformance modifications are even relevant to insurance companies and it's making me wonder where people who change their number plate holders, get mud flaps fitted or the Tesla official PPF stand from an insurance point of view.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out the line somewhere between things you can reasonably do without it becoming a call to the insurance company.

Reactions: Medved_77
Thank you for the offer but after doing more research I really don't know where I stand with getting the chrome delete done with the insurance due to my car being a business vehicle. I struggle to see why such minor nonperformance modifications are even relevant to insurance companies and it's making me wonder where people who change their number plate holders, get mud flaps fitted or the Tesla official PPF.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out the line somewhere between things you can reasonably do without it becoming a call to the insurance company.
No problem, no idea with business insurance but I've declared my PPF and chrome delete to both DL and LV and they've both noted the modifications down without issue.