Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have a 6MT car in addition to their Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 40 year old VW Pickup 4 speed, does that count? I take it out of the garage every 5~6 months an play with it. Still get a kick out of driving it.

Attachments

• 8879CFF1-3CEA-43D2-99AE-A10B64A71FA6.jpeg
    8879CFF1-3CEA-43D2-99AE-A10B64A71FA6.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 74
Actually, turbo engines typically have a really flat torque band, so you have plenty of torque across a wide range of RPMs. And if you want to go faster in a manual transmission vehicle, it's pretty simple to mod them for more power. Especially if it's a turbo car like mine.
Then why do you need gears? Their ONLY job in life is to maximize torque to the wheels.

Wide range? Is that 0 to 8000 rpm?
ice-torque-and-power-curve-2-1.png

Or more like this
9p2il.png

Only flat (or more specifically only exists) for half of its range.

Then why do you need gears? Their ONLY job in life is to maximize torque to the wheels.

You just answered your own question. And I'll add this---gears are needed to shift. Shifting is needed for fun, especially when it's manual shifting. 🤣

As for flat torque curves, my particular car makes it's maximum torque at just 1,500 RPM and holds it until almost 5,000 RPM. I'd say the engine is somewhere in that RPM range 99% of the time. So yeah, plenty of torque available at any time. Lots of fun, that's for sure.

You just answered your own question. And I'll add this---gears are needed to shift. Shifting is needed for fun, especially when it's manual shifting. 🤣

As for flat torque curves, my particular car makes it's maximum torque at just 1,500 RPM and holds it until almost 5,000 RPM. I'd say the engine is somewhere in that RPM range 99% of the time. So yeah, plenty of torque available at any time. Lots of fun, that's for sure.

Your engine at starting at 1500 RPM is definitely not in the RPM range 99% of the time, It's probably less than 95% with gears.
Look at the EV diagram, It's got 100% torque to begin with. An ICE has to have gears to even come close to having any torque to start.

That's why an EV is so fast off the start line, 100% torque at 0 RPM.

Add Tesla's traction control to assure that the torque makes it the road without slipping.

Your engine at starting at 1500 RPM is definitely not in the RPM range 99% of the time, It's probably less than 95% with gears.
Look at the EV diagram, It's got 100% torque to begin with. An ICE has to have gears to even come close to having any torque to start.

That's why an EV is so fast off the start line, 100% torque at 0 RPM.

Add Tesla's traction control to assure that the torque makes it the road without slipping.

The engine idles at 800 RPM. If my car is in gear, it's always above 1,000 RPM. The vast majority of the time it's within the maximum torque curve. Have you never driven a manual transmission performance car? Seriously?

Honestly though, I wouldn't talk too much smack if I were you. You drive a RWD Model 3. My Audi would absolutely leave you in a cloud of exhaust from a stop, from a roll, or from high speeds. You're really need a Model 3 Performance or maybe a LR with the performance boost to have any hopes at all of keeping up.

Reactions: Maxdriver
I've got an '03 350Z in the garage that I purchased new back in '03. It's also a 6MT with more money in modifications than the cost of my model Y performance I purchased at peak pricing last September. It's not going anywhere anytime soon if I have anything to say about it; my wife on the other hand.....

Sorry to hear you have to let go of the Z but I understand that family comes first. I'm hoping that one of my two boys takes to the mod bug like myself and holds onto the Z when my time here is done.

To the OP, I don't miss driving MT in NYC traffic or on the open road. The model Y is a different type of drive of course but still very enjoyable.

Wait...are you THE Kwame? From like Forged and the 350z forums or wherever?

Reactions: Kwame
Wait...are you THE Kwame? From like Forged and the 350z forums or wherever?
I didn’t know I was known in any way, shape or form outside of my wife and kids :) but I’m pretty sure I’m the only Kwame that has ever been that active on my350z, 350zmotoring, etc. The benefits of not being named “John Smith” I guess.

Aren't manual transmissions the things that slow you down when accelerating? Since you can't apply consistent acceleration, because the ICE has such a narrow range of optimal torque?
Back in the day, when automatics were true 'slushboxes' and so much power was lost in the torque converter, manuals were definitely faster - I'm talking production cars here, not heavily modded cars. But the introduction of things like dual-clutch automatics and 'automated manual' transmissions have actually lowered the losses and dramatically decreased shift times for vs a manual. And one less permutation for a manufacturer to make (and certify) means that stick shifts are mostly a thing of the past, unfortunately. #SaveTheManuals

All 3 of my kids were taught to drive a stick, and their first cars were all manuals, which they all wanted. I viewed it as a good way to 1) prevent their friends from driving their cars and 2) minimize the amount of texting and driving they could do! My oldest son still has his 2013 WRX that he bought after graduating from college.

Manuals are all about the fun now. I imagine there will be racing classes that require them too. That miata looks like a lot of fun. I think the fun in ICE vehicles is going to be in the light weight, manual cars. My model Y performance is quick but its so dang heavy

Reactions: blinkme323
Yes.
C7 Corvette
Challenger
WRX

My favorite is the WRX. I would not have the MYP if I also could not have manual ICE cars.

Here is a picture of the black MYP we had and the WRX and Challenger. I still don't know how I feel about the color combination of white on white on the '22 MYP I have now. I loved the black MYP.

And, four motorcycles that are manual (two sports bikes and two cruisers, mine are the sports bikes, husband's are the cruisers).

Attachments

• 20220422_135817.jpg
    20220422_135817.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Aren't manual transmissions the things that slow you down when accelerating? Since you can't apply consistent acceleration, because the ICE has such a narrow range of optimal torque?

I used to enjoy beating my head against the wall, but after I stopped, my headaches have gone away.

This post reminds me of the thread where people post about all of the ignorant things that they've heard being said about EV cars.

Reactions: blinkme323

Wide range? Is that 0 to 8000 rpm?
ice-torque-and-power-curve-2-1.png

Or more like this
9p2il.png

Only flat (or more specifically only exists) for half of its range.
False. Gears have many purposes, one of which is to maximize torque to the wheels, but not for the reason that the torque is somehow only available in a small range of the engine's operable band as you are claiming. Without multiple gears, an engine that's geared to operate at a reasonable RPM at cruise speed would stall at lower speeds due to interruption of the combustion cycle and burn excessive fuel at higher speeds. These are all shortcomings of an ICE versus an electric motor with 20k RPM, but again, the reason for gears is not *ONLY* to maximize torque.

Gasoline engines produce usable torque from just above idle up to its redline, usually in a range of 1000-6500RPMs for a typical run-of-the-mill passenger car or SUV. Most dynos do not capture torque below about 3k purely because dynos work by presenting the engine with a fixed rate of power resistance, which is configured to work with the main powerband of the engine. At low engine speeds, the rate of power delivery by the engine is so low as to prevent the RPM from rising fast enough, forcing the engine to dwell at wide-open low RPM conditions where engine stress is high and various fluid lubrication/cooling flow is low. This is why dyno pulls always start at some RPM around 3K because this is where the engine is producing enough HP (not torque) to overcome the resistive power of the Dynamometer quickly enough. Go listen to a car do a Dynamometer pull, the RPMs build with relation to the HP, not the torque output. This is also why even dyno charts of Tesla start at some non-zero speed or RPM.

Reactions: Kwame