Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have easee home charger ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m taking M3 delivery soon and have been looking at home charger for some time.

I’ve been advised by an electrician to go with TWC. Or easee home charger if want use grant.

Spend 2 hours on searching, not too much info. Anyone could help with?

Thank you

I suspect we have spoken to the same installer - I was offered the same choice.

Only thing I could establish was that the easee charger is not available as a tethered charger, so no use to me. Like you, I could find very little about it so have spoken to other installers about alternatives instead.

Only thing I could establish was that the easee charger is not available as a tethered charger, so no use to me. Like you, I could find very little about it so have spoken to other installers about alternatives instead.

I was looking at ohme wall charger and ask if he can do installation. And was given the reply.

easee(work with Tibber) is similar to ohme (work with octopus). It may takes long time to having Tibber over to UK. I will have two cars home and only travel 15-20 miles per day. Not really keen to only charge at 5p/kwt. 3 pin would work for me at the beginning. There are some free charging point where I always go around as well. So don’t mind to wait. I believe Norway technology and trust their quality.

I’m a bit confused now. Anything you find out works better?

Ohme was one mentioned by another firm to me too, as was Pod Point. Both came out at a similar price, give or take £40. I gather the Ohme is a bit more sophisticated, but either would work for me.

As we are on a fixed tariff for the time being, and like you don't do big mileage, we didn't need a charger with any great degree of sophistication at this stage, especially as (apparently) the Tesla app* can take care of the timing to some extent. That said, I do understand chargers have to be 'smart' to attract the grant.

*(At the moment we are at the stage of waiting for Tesla to switch on the app.)

We have another installer calling to do a survey Monday so should have more idea after that.

Have only had our car (a Model S) for a couple of weeks, so 3 pin overnight is good enough for us for the time being.

Ohme was one mentioned by another firm to me too, as was Pod Point. Both came out at a similar price, give or take £40. I gather the Ohme is a bit more sophisticated, but either would work for me.

As we are on a fixed tariff for the time being, and like you don't do big mileage, we didn't need a charger with any great degree of sophistication at this stage, especially as (apparently) the Tesla app* can take care of the timing to some extent. That said, I do understand chargers have to be 'smart' to attract the grant.

*(At the moment we are at the stage of waiting for Tesla to switch on the app.)

We have another installer calling to do a survey Monday so should have more idea after that.

Have only had our car (a Model S) for a couple of weeks, so 3 pin overnight is good enough for us for the time being.

I believe we both follow the feedback from a installer more than products’ feedback. Appreciate it if you could let me know your finding.

Just watch out on some TWC installs. It needs a bit more supporting kit (>6mA DC protection and suitable earthing - Type B RCD and earth rod seem to be least smoke and mirrors way to achieve) to make the install compliant with regs, something easily overlooked by some. I've found installers either don't bother about the additional kit or want to charge a small fortune, or both. I've had quotes for £1200, 1400 and >1700 (on top of the TWC) and the former would not confirm the >6mA DC protection. I recon ~£600/700 is more like it (in my case as it has a couple of inexpensive extras).

Just watch out on some TWC installs. It needs a bit more supporting kit (>6mA DC protection and suitable earthing - Type B RCD and earth rod seem to be least smoke and mirrors way to achieve) to make the install compliant with regs, something easily overlooked by some. I've found installers either don't bother about the additional kit or want to charge a small fortune, or both. I've had quotes for £1200, 1400 and >1700 (on top of the TWC) and the former would not confirm the >6mA DC protection. I recon ~£600/700 is more like it (in my case as it has a couple of inexpensive extras).

Thanks for your advise. TWC is not on my list now.

I believe we both follow the feedback from a installer more than products’ feedback. Appreciate it if you could let me know your finding.

Have had the quotes back now from a third supplier who did a site visit on Monday and I will be going ahead with this one. Aside from a better price than the other two, they have also given me a much more detailed quote than the others did.

They have recommended either a Rolec Homesmart 20:20 or Ohme at the same price, both on a tethered basis for less than £900 after the OLEV grant. This is about £150 - 200 better than the other two for a non-Tesla charger.

In my case, a cable run of around 40 meters is required and whilst it doesn't add an enormous amount to the materials costs, it will involve a certain amount of faffing about to run the cabe. Our meter cupboard is at the wrong end of the house and we have a detached garage.

Happy to share more details if you are interested, but this is the firm I am using (Cheadle based) Electric vehicle charge points for home use - Eco Charge Points UK

I have no connection with them other than as a new customer.

As an aside, I also approached a local 'traditional' domestic electrician who agreed to quote for the Tesla charger installation. He came out and had a look at the job, took details of the Tesla charger and I sent him a link to the installation instructions and technical guide. He never came back to me.

Have had the quotes back now from a third supplier who did a site visit on Monday and I will be going ahead with this one. Aside from a better price than the other two, they have also given me a much more detailed quote than the others did.

They have recommended either a Rolec Homesmart 20:20 or Ohme at the same price, both on a tethered basis for less than £900 after the OLEV grant. This is about £150 - 200 better than the other two for a non-Tesla charger.

In my case, a cable run of around 40 meters is required and whilst it doesn't add an enormous amount to the materials costs, it will involve a certain amount of faffing about to run the cabe. Our meter cupboard is at the wrong end of the house and we have a detached garage.

Happy to share more details if you are interested, but this is the firm I am using (Cheadle based) Electric vehicle charge points for home use - Eco Charge Points UK

I have no connection with them other than as a new customer.

As an aside, I also approached a local 'traditional' domestic electrician who agreed to quote for the Tesla charger installation. He came out and had a look at the job, took details of the Tesla charger and I sent him a link to the installation instructions and technical guide. He never came back to me.

ohme is on top of my list. Will contact them to have a quote next week.

Is there a particular reason you favour Ohme?

I never check electricity bills until placed M3 order. And found that they charged 18p/kWh for many years while others paying less than 15p/kWh. So I just switch to octopus. It seems that ohme works better with Agile octopus. Just something interesting to use. Save money? Maybe few pounds a month. I only travel 15 miles a day and it’s second car in the family. Got GMEV charging point around me both home and work with free charge. TBH, don’t know how often will charge from home. 3 pin is a good start point maybe. Also the M3 is a birthday gift for my wife, can’t ask electrician come to have quote. Need keep secret. So lucky that collection date is 3 days before her birthday.

Thanks, that's helpful.

I've seen comment that very low rates are available on Octopus, 5p and lower overnight, so it does make sense so long as you are not penalised on the peak rate consumption - not a subject I have looked into just yet, as we are on a fixed tariff for the next 10 months or so.

Like you, we do very modest mileage so for me the main reason to get a charger fitted is the convenience of a tethered unit, plus I am reluctant to rely on a 3 pin charger as the main option at home. Using the functionality more will probably follow when we get the option to move to a more flexible tariff.

We also have the 'free supercharging for life' and the GMEV options within a couple of miles.

It will be interesting to see what your wife gets for Christmas!

Good luck with it.

Thanks, that's helpful.

I've seen comment that very low rates are available on Octopus, 5p and lower overnight, so it does make sense so long as you are not penalised on the peak rate consumption - not a subject I have looked into just yet, as we are on a fixed tariff for the next 10 months or so.

Like you, we do very modest mileage so for me the main reason to get a charger fitted is the convenience of a tethered unit, plus I am reluctant to rely on a 3 pin charger as the main option at home. Using the functionality more will probably follow when we get the option to move to a more flexible tariff.

We also have the 'free supercharging for life' and the GMEV options within a couple of miles.

It will be interesting to see what your wife gets for Christmas!

Good luck with it.

Please let me know how is your installation goes. Thanks

This is an old conversation but just in case anyone else finds it whilst searching 'Easee': The Easee charger is unique in that it can be tethered or untethered. If you want it to be tethered you connect the cable and select 'lock' on the app. The cable cannot then be disconnected. If you want to remove the cable you select 'unlock' and take it away. Simple but genious.

This is an old conversation but just in case anyone else finds it whilst searching 'Easee': The Easee charger is unique in that it can be tethered or untethered. If you want it to be tethered you connect the cable and select 'lock' on the app. The cable cannot then be disconnected. If you want to remove the cable you select 'unlock' and take it away. Simple but genious.
I’m not not grasping where the genius element applies. Seems like an interesting option but not exactly at the cutting edge! A friend of mine bought a charge point that claimed to do this but it turned out that the lock feature only worked when the car was charging (like all of them) so he couldn’t just leave it in place when not charging. Anyway… Tesla give you a cable to keep in the car for use when out and about and you don’t want it stuck at home… so you’re going to need to buy another cable or keep disconnecting one … so just buy a tethered model and be done with it!

Reactions: HenryT