Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone know how to replace the Cabin Blower?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like they screwed it up when they had it apart. What you have labeled as the fan wire is correct. It goes to the connector with the orange and black wires, which goes to the fan. All the slack is secured by the wire tie, but it shouldn't be pinched behind the plastic evaporator housing. Its a good bet that is your problem, if it didn't short out and take out the controller as well. At least now you have enough knowledge to hold them responsible it they messed up, instead of just paying big bucks for the repair.

It looks like they screwed it up when they had it apart. What you have labeled as the fan wire is correct. It goes to the connector with the orange and black wires, which goes to the fan. All the slack is secured by the wire tie, but it shouldn't be pinched behind the plastic evaporator housing. Its a good bet that is your problem, if it didn't short out and take out the controller as well. At least now you have enough knowledge to hold them responsible it they messed up, instead of just paying big bucks for the repair.

Well, it's in the hands of the service center now. They moved my service up to something like Wednesday, which was a major conflict to my schedule... so then said to bring it today, and they'll give me a loaner, and work on it this week. (another challenge is charging an S with a 110 outlet, because the HPC for the roadster doesn't fit the S... only solution is lots of patience).

I attempted to demonstrate the fan to the tech, and it started blowing... How annoying. The tech laughed and said that's because the car knew it was in the service center. I also said it was really suspicious that I watched the "service due is xx days" count down, and the exact time it hit zero, is when the fan died. He said "amazing coincidence", because it is very unlikely that the annual service had anything to do with the failure.

I showed him my pics, the video, the noise, and the wire where it was pinched. He also agrees that the wire is pinched, but he also says there may be a dead spot on the fan that it moved off of when it vibrated during the drive in. So I will have to trust what they tell me on that one. Because I won't be there to see him open up the cover and inspect the harness. I did voice my suspicion rather loudly... :)

I do know a fellow owner who is on his third fan because previous ones all had dead spots. But for him, it was warranty, not something that happened after 6 years.

I'll let you know how it plays out. Thanks.

This thread combined with the warm weather has me scrutinizing my HVAC blower. I just had an annual service and they recommended servicing the A/C which I did, the air feels cold (it felt cold before too) but I think the air flow is diminished since my service. Is that possible? Feels like unless my hand is right on the dash vents I don't feel a thing.

Can't answer that, sorry. The power to the blower comes from ... ?
If the system has control over it, than anything, including a software update could have affected it.
If, in the processing cleaning it, the intake got clogged, then it could be just a reduced airflow.

I'd go back and complain. (But I'm pretty good at complaining :) )

This thread combined with the warm weather has me scrutinizing my HVAC blower. I just had an annual service and they recommended servicing the A/C which I did, the air feels cold (it felt cold before too) but I think the air flow is diminished since my service. Is that possible? Feels like unless my hand is right on the dash vents I don't feel a thing.

Try to run the air diverter control back between defrost, floor, and the dash outlets a few times and check the flow- it might be sticking. If that is working properly, go under the hood with the fan on high and see if you can feel any air leak under the center of the windshield- there is a tube that carries the air from the blower to the inside of the car. I'm not sure exactly what they did while servicing, I assume it was just a recharge, which doesn't involve moving anything around.

• Informative
Reactions: MileHighMotoring