Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone know where I can rent a Model S 85kWh or P85 in Houston, TX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, just registered here.

We are thinking about buying a Model S 85kWh or P85 later this year, but want to see if we can rent the car for a week or two and try it out first.

Does anyone know where we can rent the Model S 85 or P85 in Houston or surrounding area? I know a lot of people love their Model S, but we are totally new to the concept of EV (never even owned a hybrid before) and it's not exactly a small purchase.

:smile:

Check your local Hertz rental centers. Some have been adding a Model S. If you want to have one for a week you should probably have at least a 14-50 RV style plug (240vac with 50amp breaker) in your garage to get the real ownership experience of charging. When you get home every night you just plug it in, then in the morning it's ready to go. Without the home charging you will be forced to use local area L2 chargers which are slow or drive to a Tesla SuperCharger. While there are 5 SuperChargers in Texas, none are in Houston proper, they are located between cities mostly to assist long distance trips.

I've had my 85 for almost a year, used SuperChargers about 4 times and local L2 chargers twice during that time. It's so easy to plug in at home.

I'm sure you can find someone in your area with a Model S that would let you take an extended drive (with them in the car probably) to see what it's like to drive it for an hour. It takes 10 to 30 minutes to get the hang of the accelerator and regenerative braking and once you do the Tesla Grin appears!

While there are 5 SuperChargers in Texas, none are in Houston proper, they are located between cities mostly to assist long distance trips.

There are, however, Tesla charging stations at the Houston Galleria (mall) and likely at the service center (although I'm not sure if they are accessible there). The spots at the mall, I find, are oftentimes occupied, even on a random weekday. Good luck

I know hertz luxury side of the rentals was adding s85's to their fleets in the larger cities. We rented one before we bought but only for 1 day when we were in LA. Be aware. They charge $500 / day for 30 miles and if you want unlimited miles it's $800 per day. We then talked to the sales person at our galleria and found out that once we put our deposit down they would allow for a one hour driveway test drive where they bring the car to your home (as long as you are withing 60 miles of the gallery and will allow you a one hour test drive just me and my husband in the car. They waited at my house in a backup tesla. It was specced more similarly to what we wanted to buy so gave us a better idea. We were sold. Hit confirm the next day!