Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone LR AWDs Showing 322 Miles Fully Charged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2018 M3 LR AWD - Driven about 10K only so far! It shows 307@100% in the app.
It was 297 actual for quite a while back in Dec based on prorated calc.
I drove it down to less than 10% once as was suggested in one thread and charged it back up and after couple of different settings it reset to 307. Three mile loss is normal degradation I guess. Never seen 322 though.

I just purchased a M3 LR AWD March 2020 build and my rated (displayed) range is 310 miles vs. 322 on the website and car window sticker. I’ve spoken to Tesla service, my delivery person, and anyone else I could and they have no clue. When I called Service the person I spoke to checked my battery and she said it was perfect. She also said the new M3s she’s been seeing have 322 miles of range. They are going to try and push the latest software to my car (I’m on 2019.35.108) to see if that changes anything.

No real answer needed, just adding a data point to the thread.

Attachments

• 12C25AEC-6E76-450C-893A-891810BF1A45.jpeg
    12C25AEC-6E76-450C-893A-891810BF1A45.jpeg
    563.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 581F4D1C-5B17-4FD8-BD57-818BAA9236E3.jpeg
    581F4D1C-5B17-4FD8-BD57-818BAA9236E3.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and JBT66
I just purchased a M3 LR AWD March 2020 build and my rated (displayed) range is 310 miles vs. 322 on the website and car window sticker. I’ve spoken to Tesla service, my delivery person, and anyone else I could and they have no clue. When I called Service the person I spoke to checked my battery and she said it was perfect. She also said the new M3s she’s been seeing have 322 miles of range. They are going to try and push the latest software to my car (I’m on 2019.35.108) to see if that changes anything.

No real answer needed, just adding a data point to the thread.
Could you post a picture of your energy graph along with rated miles/percent charge?
That would show what your charging constant is.

(I’m on 2019.35.108) to see if that changes anything.

This will fix your issue. You're just on the old charging constant of 245Wh/rmi and a max energy of 76kWh. You'll be updated to 241Wh/rmi and 77.6kWh max energy (you'll likely have more than that; that is just the nominal maximum).

If you have a chance, it would be awesome to do a documented discharge event of over 100 rated miles (continuously, no stopping), where you measure on the trip meter how much energy you use, and you carefully document the number of rated miles used when not in Park.

Stay safe up there. Social distancing!

This will fix your issue. You're just on the old charging constant of 245Wh/rmi and a max energy of 76kWh. You'll be updated to 241Wh/rmi and 77.6kWh max energy (you'll likely have more than that; that is just the nominal maximum).

If you have a chance, it would be awesome to do a documented discharge event of over 100 rated miles (continuously, no stopping), where you measure on the trip meter how much energy you use, and you carefully document the number of rated miles used when not in Park.

Stay safe up there. Social distancing!
Thanks! Sure, no problem, will do once not on lockdown. Just do a trip? Or Teslafi or something?

Thanks! Sure, no problem, will do once not on lockdown. Just do a trip? Or Teslafi or something?

Just do a trip, continuously. You can't use TeslaFi (not accurate). You have to use the trip meter (in the car, left hand side at the bottom of the screen) and rated miles gauge in the car, for accuracy (you have to very carefully log how many are used for a given trip meter result). And not much point in it if you can't do about 100 rated miles of use or so in a continuous drive.

Seems like a good time to go on a drive, when in lockdown - as long as you completely maintain isolation and don't stop anywhere, I don't see any harm in it. Traffic will be light! People are allowed to travel for essential purposes - which of course this isn't - but the spirit of the rule is to avoid any unnecessary interaction with people - which is definitely required. You can go hiking, etc. Weather isn't great though.

You need:
1) Rated miles used.
2) Trip meter Wh/mi
3) Trip meter miles traveled.

Picked up my 2020 LR AWD yesterday, here's some data. I don't have the SMT adapter installed yet so can't get that data.

The car is on software version 2019.35.108. If I have my info correct, this means it will be using 245 Wh/mi and an expected full range of 310 mi until it updates to the newest software version.

- 33 mi on odometer
- Charged to 81%
- 250 mi remaining

If I'm calculating correctly and using 245 Wh/mi EPA efficiency I get a full charge range of 308.64 mi and a battery capacity of 75.62 kWh.

Who knows when I'll get updated to the new software with the new range of 322 mi and 241 Wh/mi EPA efficiency.

Please let me know if any of my numbers look wrong.

• Helpful
Reactions: Radman415
Please let me know if any of my numbers look wrong.

You probably have 310rmi at a full charge so you are at 76kWh.

But you’re likely at even higher than that. When you update you’ll have 77.6kWh or more.

Tesla hides energy above the nominal max by inflating the energy in each rated mile, as far as I can tell. Until your battery degrades to below the nominal max, which will happen in 3-6 months. At that point, the rated miles will start to disappear, even though you have actually been losing energy all along.

Reactions: tilt
You probably have 310rmi at a full charge so you are at 76kWh.

It was set to charge to 80%. So if I fiddle with the numbers and say it charged to 80.6% which is rounded up to 81%, I get a little over 310 mi. Nitpicking I know, but it shows that I'm right at where it is supposed to be. I know I'll never see this again as the battery degrades, but it is nice to see things starting off where it should be.

SMT battery screenshot. Shows 77.0 kWh Nominal full pack.

- 33 mi on odometer
- Charged to 81%
- 250 mi remaining

The car is on software version 2019.35.108. This means it will be using 245 Wh/mi and an expected full range of 310 mi until it updates to the newest software version.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200318-134704 (Phone).jpg
    Screenshot_20200318-134704 (Phone).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ran349
Sorry, it was a continuation of my previous posts. I added the info from above so that it is all in one place and makes more sense.

With 77 kWh, it looks like your full rated range would be around 314 miles, 77/.245 = 314.
Also, 250 / .795 = 314 miles, which is consistent with that.
It's good you have SMT to track this to see what happens when they do a firmware update.

With 77 kWh, it looks like your full rated range would be around 314 miles, 77/.245 = 314.
It's good you have SMT to track this to see what happens when they do a firmware update.

There's a little bit of fudging in the numbers as when I initially reported things I didn't have SMT ready. So the 81% state of charge was probably 80.5% or a little higher that was getting rounded up to 81%. By the time I got SMT hooked up and took the screenshot the SOC had dropped to 79.7%. Regardless of what numbers you use and how you crunch them, my capacity and full range looks to be right where it should be on a new car.

Yes, but he won’t show more than 310 until he upgrades software.

There's a little bit of fudging in the numbers as when I initially reported things I didn't have SMT ready. So the 81% state of charge was probably 80.5% or a little higher that was getting rounded up to 81%. By the time I got SMT hooked up and took the screenshot the SOC had dropped to 79.7%. Regardless of what numbers you use and how you crunch them, my capacity and full range looks to be right where it should be on a new car.

Again, would be super interesting to measure the energy content (on the trip meter) of your rated miles right now and get that data point. To me it looks like they are currently inflated to more than the standard 245Wh/rmi (230Wh/rmi in terms of displayed rated miles referenced to trip meter). As I would expect. I’d expect you would measure 232-233Wh/rmi (displayed) right now.

However, we are all sheltering in place and this does not seem like an essential activity - though it is likely perfectly fine as long as you never leave your car...

Since you are below 77.6kWh, I also do not expect that you will ever see 322 rated miles even after upgrading software. However, it will be interesting to see what happens when the software updates - maybe your nominal full pack energy will be increased. It’s unclear how Tesla decided to deal with this specific situation - but soon we will know! On 2020 vehicles, they may opt to scale down nominal full pack until they are upgraded to the new software. No idea.

If it’s not increased, though, I would expect you to max out at about 319/320 rated miles (at 241Wh/rmi).

Do keep us updated and if you can do a measurement of rated mile energy content at the current software, that would be cool.

I’m sort of doing a stream of consciousness post here, so if anything is unclear about the above, just ask. Mostly curious about current energy content of your current displayed rated miles, and also curious whether your nominal full pack gets bumped up with the software update (don’t really expect that but I have no idea).

Last edited:
Total vehicle mileage is 108.5 mi, so is trip meter. Attached is the current Wh/mi over that distance and current SMT battery data. I'll let you crunch the numbers. Let me know if you need anything else.

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_102401 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20200320_102401 (Medium).jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20200320-102141 (Medium).jpg
    Screenshot_20200320-102141 (Medium).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 61
Status
Not open for further replies.