Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ordering vanity plates for their M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my California Legacy plates in mid-Feb and got them about two weeks ago, so about 4 months total. They charged my CC number in early March, which is probably when they started fabrication.
Good info, thank you. They seem to have removed the message about taking 6-9 months so hopefully that means the wait times are decreasing now.

Did you get a plate with fewer than 7 characters and if so were the characters centered?

Christ man. I ordered mine LAST AUGUST and still haven’t gotten them. I chatted with DMV a couple of months ago and they said mine weren’t even sent to print yet. Once they are sent to print they take 2-3 months. I’m gonna just cancel mine. This is so stupid.

• Informative
Reactions: oreobbq
I ordered and paid extra for the black on gold CA plate to better match my car.

I choose to not personalize the digits though. I prefer to blend in.

I got the metal plates assigned to my car within weeks. The replacement black on gold took a couple months.

The carpool stickers took a year. Partially due to cocos delay; but also because they only partially processed my application and it took forever to straighten out. But I ended up with newer sticker that also better matched the car.

Got my personalized 1960 CA Legacy plate yesterday. Ordered on March 31. Took a little over 3 months (99 days). Much better than the 6-9 month estimate I was given when I ordered. The DMV didn't send me any updates aside from the original order confirmation. Just showed up out of nowhere.

Also happy to say that the text was completely centered on the plate. I have seen many people say that they ended up getting non-centered text on personalized plates with < 7 characters. I mentioned that I wanted it centered in the optional comments. Not sure if that helped or not.

Reactions: julit0
Got my personalized 1960 CA Legacy plate yesterday. Ordered on March 31. Took a little over 3 months (99 days). Much better than the 6-9 month estimate I was given when I ordered. The DMV didn't send me any updates aside from the original order confirmation. Just showed up out of nowhere.

Also happy to say that the text was completely centered on the plate. I have seen many people say that they ended up getting non-centered text on personalized plates with < 7 characters. I mentioned that I wanted it centered in the optional comments. Not sure if that helped or not.
Glad to you see you got yours. I ordered mine a year ago. Canceled it last week. Eff it.

Glad to you see you got yours. I ordered mine a year ago. Canceled it last week. Eff it.

That's really strange... I wonder if they lost your order or something?

It took ~8 months to receive the black "legacy" license plates for my Tacoma last year (ordered in March 2021). I was pleasantly surprised that the "whale tail" license plates I ordered for my M3P at the end of February 2022 only took ~3.5 months to arrive.

That's really strange... I wonder if they lost your order or something?

It took ~8 months to receive the black "legacy" license plates for my Tacoma last year (ordered in March 2021). I was pleasantly surprised that the "whale tail" license plates I ordered for my M3P at the end of February 2022 only took ~3.5 months to arrive.
No one seems to know, I asked. I’m over it tho so I just told them to refund me.

I've never reassigned/retained a personalized license plate from an old car, but according to these links, you will still need to obtain the new permanent license plate/registration for the new car before you can apply for the reassignment here in CA;

Thats actually untrue. No need to obtain new reg/number before you can apply for custom plates (if your old car already had custom vanity plates and has been sold/traded-in).

I traded-in my M3 for a Y, and I took off old plates. Within registration application Tesla puts in the request for reassignment of old plates to new reg/car. I just received the registration without new plates - I am just supposed to utilize the ones I have from old car.

HTH

Reactions: CreoUCLA
Just arrived. 9 weeks from order to delivery.

Got a little M3P hidden in there. 😉
CDC59097-A2FB-478F-BC3C-BAF389F29FA5.jpeg

Not this time, just handicap plates. I think we can use the same ones that were on our Subaru. It's kinda slow transferring them though. (I guess everything dealing with DMV in California is slow. The closest office to us does have a sense of humor about DMV slowness. They had plush sloths around the place and even a sloth calendar.)