Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone received the TCEQ $2500 Grant Money for buying an EV in Texas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i sent in my application in early November (as soon as I had the car registered) and have not received a payment. I did get a “we have received your application email, though.
Thanks. Yes, that's all I've gotten also.

As I understand it, it's first come first served. However, they're still taking applications until March. It seems like they would have already paid out to the first 2,000 qualifying applicants by now.

Wow. Didn't know this existed. I'm applying :D
There was a lot of misinformation about it too. I saw people claim you had to buy through a dealer in order to qualify, but the actual documentation doesn’t say that. I also saw people claim that the Model Y didn’t qualify, even though it’s specifically listed in the allowed vehicle list. Even in west texas I see a surprising number of EVs around (and not just Tesla!).

There was a lot of misinformation about it too. I saw people claim you had to buy through a dealer in order to qualify, but the actual documentation doesn’t say that. I also saw people claim that the Model Y didn’t qualify, even though it’s specifically listed in the allowed vehicle list. Even in west texas I see a surprising number of EVs around (and not just Tesla!).
Just checked my "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" that they uploaded to my Tesla account and it's missing both my signature & the Tesla Advisor signature. Also, I'm still waiting on my registration, since they forgot to tell me to sign the registration application on delivery day mid-December. They had to UPS the form to me while I was out of state so I could sign it & return it to them with included pre-paid UPS envelope.

Just checked my "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" that they uploaded to my Tesla account and it's missing both my signature & the Tesla Advisor signature. Also, I'm still waiting on my registration, since they forgot to tell me to sign the registration application on delivery day mid-December. They had to UPS the form to me while I was out of state so I could sign it & return it to them with included pre-paid UPS envelope.
I talked with a TCEQ rep on the phone when I was applying. I told her that Tesla gave me zero paperwork. I explained that all documents were in electronic form and available through my computer, but that Tesla had signed none of them. She said that they take that into consideration when reviewing the application and if they needed anything more they would contact me. Since then, I've received the IRS form from Tesla and it does indeed have a Tesla signature on it, but not mine. It seems to me that the title and registration would suffice to prove that I had a contract to buy and did indeed complete the contract. I'm hoping that what I sent them is enough, but I'll do whatever I have to in order to qualify for the grant.

I've seen lot's of people on this website and others brag about how seamless and clean the purchase process is at Tesla and how they'll never buy again from a conventional dealer. I say BS on that. I've spent more cumulative time buying this Tesla and getting it registered and so forth than I ever spent at a dealership for other brands. At least at other dealerships, you sit down with a financial officer for 20 minutes, sign the forms, and then you're done. License plates and title come in a couple of weeks. With Tesla, it was some new form or process every day for a couple of weeks, done through texts, the app, or on the computer and then again when you pick up the car.

Reactions: AndroidFreak
I talked with a TCEQ rep on the phone when I was applying. I told her that Tesla gave me zero paperwork. I explained that all documents were in electronic form and available through my computer, but that Tesla had signed none of them. She said that they take that into consideration when reviewing the application and if they needed anything more they would contact me. Since then, I've received the IRS form from Tesla and it does indeed have a Tesla signature on it, but not mine. It seems to me that the title and registration would suffice to prove that I had a contract to buy and did indeed complete the contract. I'm hoping that what I sent them is enough, but I'll do whatever I have to in order to qualify for the grant.

I've seen lot's of people on this website and others brag about how seamless and clean the purchase process is at Tesla and how they'll never buy again from a conventional dealer. I say BS on that. I've spent more cumulative time buying this Tesla and getting it registered and so forth than I ever spent at a dealership for other brands. At least at other dealerships, you sit down with a financial officer for 20 minutes, sign the forms, and then you're done. License plates and title come in a couple of weeks. With Tesla, it was some new form or process every day for a couple of weeks, done through texts, the app, or on the computer and then again when you pick up the car.
You're absolutely correct. People who brag & give them free passes have very low expectations I guess. It's been an absolute pain in the ass so far. Back in August I had to reject delivery because the car had 2 holes in the rubber linings on the roof & they tried to upsell me another car that was arriving the following week that would cost me an extra $1K. Instead I declined & lost my $250 deposit. The M3 I bought mid-December came with factory paint defects plus the infamous gps/cameras issue and is currently at the SC for repair under warranty. Ridiculous for a brand new car close $40K. Oh and the kicker is already there is rattling inside cabin.

Last edited:
I called the local SC on Sunday during business hours & left them a message to call me back so I can get a signed copy of the MVPA. They haven't bothered calling.
I called and talked with someone on Sunday who said I would have the signed copy in my Documents on Monday morning. I have not seen it. Please let me know if you have any success getting this document. I'll do the same.

Went ahead & applied. Got the following in confirmation email.

1000002693.jpg

Wow! I did not get that message. Perhaps that means that I was in the first 2,000. If they turn me down because I didn't have the signed purchase agreement, maybe they'll contact you again. Hopefully, by then you'll be able to get the signed document.

I called Tesla again Friday and talked to a rep from regional headquarters in Colorado. He said that the previous rep did indeed put in a request for the document, but that it takes longer than overnight to produce it. He said they will produce the document and snail mail it to me, should get it in a week or two. However, this is the same guy who told me before I bought that the delivery center would let me inspect the interior of the car before buying.

I think Tesla employees are just trained to say whatever the customer wants to hear, kind of like a sales person at a regular car dealer. I don't have much faith in anything they tell me. We'll see, I'll post results later.

I didn't buy the car depending on the TCEQ grant money, but it certainly would be nice to get it. It would offset some of the big discounts that Tesla is offering now for the exact car I bought in November at full price. :)

Wow! I did not get that message. Perhaps that means that I was in the first 2,000. If they turn me down because I didn't have the signed purchase agreement, maybe they'll contact you again. Hopefully, by then you'll be able to get the signed document.

I called Tesla again Friday and talked to a rep from regional headquarters in Colorado. He said that the previous rep did indeed put in a request for the document, but that it takes longer than overnight to produce it. He said they will produce the document and snail mail it to me, should get it in a week or two. However, this is the same guy who told me before I bought that the delivery center would let me inspect the interior of the car before buying.

I think Tesla employees are just trained to say whatever the customer wants to hear, kind of like a sales person at a regular car dealer. I don't have much faith in anything they tell me. We'll see, I'll post results later.

I didn't buy the car depending on the TCEQ grant money, but it certainly would be nice to get it. It would offset some of the big discounts that Tesla is offering now for the exact car I bought in November at full price. :)
They're all trained to whisper sweet nothings into the ears of potential & current customers. Over promise & under deliver.