Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone reconsidering their order after seeing how Elon is reacting to COVID-19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan to get another Model 3 later this year, and will still probably get one. But I am really starting to get put off by Elon's reaction to COVID-19. Am I the only one that feels this way? Here is an article that kind of sums it up:

Elon Musk Has Played An Extremely Dangerous Game

The part of me that still wants the model 3 is telling my more sensible side that he is supposed to be our "Tony Stark" and Tony Stark is a smart, yet arrogant A-hole sometimes... so it kind of fits? lol

Not trying to stir *sugar*, just want to see if anyone else feels the same way as me? Or am I being too dramatic here?

No. I am not sure what your issue is with Elon,

Just that he is kind of dismissing the whole thing as no big deal. And being a role model for many this sends the wrong message, makes people endanger themselves and add to the spread of the virus because they "heard" from a guy they look up to that its all no big deal.

the man is not the car, or the company. Henry Ford was an avowed anti-Semite, and still invented the modern assembly line.

Very good point.

I tend to see his side this time. I think the news outlets are over dramatizing all this. His tweet that started it all, saying panic is dumb... well, it sort of is. Or you are defending those who bought all the toilet paper, water and supplies leaving nothing left for those who chose not to panic?

On the other hand, seeing how they build their cars, I'd be worried about patients having their lives depend on devices built by Tesla.

I read a biography about another great American and the author said that "sometimes you have to be patient with genius". Impetuousness and rashness is just a feature of the breed. Yes, his response to the pandemic is ill advised. I'd say let the techies stick to tech and let the doctors call the shots on medical matters. At least his denierism doesn't rise to the level of the President. I'd focus any outrage there instead.

I'm not following the connection between Elon's comments about viruses and whether or not I would buy the car again. So no, I would not base my decision to buy or not buy a Tesla based on those comments. It seems easy to overlook that he did go out of his way to find some ventilators. Frankly I don't find much validity in the Jaloplink postings.

Musk's impetuosity, etc., are just side effects of his superpower. Reminds me of a couple of other folks. Steve Jobs was one of them. ;)
with great power comes great responsibility. My only comments are that Steve Jobs denied his first daughters existence and intentionally orphaned his family by trying to beat cancer with a macrobiotic diet, sounds like a pretty sh-tty person to me

The article is written like a hit piece. Is there anything specific that Elon said that you disagree with?

Well, I love the fact that Elon is trying to help, but I am not a huge fan of him saying that this virus is no big deal. The whole "youth are immune" thing etc... Like, these types of statements actually hurt people. Its one thing call someone a "pedo-guy", whatever, its people's feeling that are hurt... but here people can get sick and get others sick and lead to actual deaths, because the guy they are looking up to said its "no big deal".

Basically I feel like he endangered people's lives by some of his comments.

I'm not worried about Elon or his antics, not unless it somehow implodes and brings down the entire company & infrastructure (highly doubtful).

I'm more interested in the car itself, and the hardware it uses and my needs & intended purpose for getting a Model 3..... which is why I ordered one yesterday afternoon, and I'm getting the car this afternoon with home delivery.

...a role model...

Are we talking about the role of a cult member is to follow the cult leader with no questions asked?

Engineering is Elon Musk's specialty and he has never got a degree in epidemiology but since he is a problem solver, he tries his best to think that he's a very good medical doctor.

Thus, it is not a good rationale to take advice from him about Covid-19.

Even if he's really bad about epidemiology, that doesn't mean he is not good at making cars.

So, be serious about what he's good at but be very careful to take medical advice from someone who has not spent over 8 years in the discipline of medicine!

I plan to get another Model 3 later this year, and will still probably get one. But I am really starting to get put off by Elon's reaction to COVID-19. Am I the only one that feels this way? Here is an article that kind of sums it up:

Elon Musk Has Played An Extremely Dangerous Game

The part of me that still wants the model 3 is telling my more sensible side that he is supposed to be our "Tony Stark" and Tony Stark is a smart, yet arrogant A-hole sometimes... so it kind of fits? lol

Not trying to stir *sugar*, just want to see if anyone else feels the same way as me? Or am I being too dramatic here?

I don’t find anything wrong with his statements
Panic is Dumb
No matter what the reason, Panic is always dumb
It clouds your thought process and impairs your ability to think rationally towards finding a solution
Panic doesn’t help anyone .

Sorry, I missed where he said it is no big deal. Are you talking about his panic statement? Are you suggesting people should have panicked more?

No I agree with him on the panic statement. Panic is stupid and doesnt help anyone. I interpret him saying that "kids are essentially immnune" as him saying its not a big deal (for portion of population), which endangers lives. Many 20 year olds are dying from this thing. Some teens and babies too.

Elon Musk on Twitter

I don’t find anything wrong with his statements
Panic is Dumb
No matter what the reason, Panic is always dumb
It clouds your thought process and impairs your ability to think rationally towards finding a solution
Panic doesn’t help anyone .

I dont think anyone here says that panic is good. Panic is dumb and was a good tweet from him, but thats not the thing we are talking about here.