Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone reconsidering their order after seeing how Elon is reacting to COVID-19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People are crazy to latch onto a quote about Corona Virus from weeks ago. Things have changed, and many that thought it was "just another flu" are changing their tune.

Forget a casual comment he might have made and look at his accomplishments. He recently sourced many thousands of N95 protective masks. Purchased them from his contacts in China. Shipped them to the USA and is now using his delivery logistics and fleet of vehicles to deliver them...FOR FREE.. to hospitals and medical centers in great need.

Elon also worked with Medtronics to learn what they needed to increase their production by 10X. Is currently building those respirators in his factory in NY. He is also working to come up with his own design to allow respirator sharing in critical needs areas. He is also working on his own design to produce an even better respirator that works better, is less expensive and can be produced even quicker.

He is going to be responsible for saving perhaps thousands of lives, and yet, just for a comment people crave to go all dramatic.

No I agree with him on the panic statement. Panic is stupid and doesnt help anyone. I interpret him saying that "kids are essentially immnune" as him saying its not a big deal (for portion of population), which endangers lives. Many 20 year olds are dying from this thing. Some teens and babies too.

Elon Musk on Twitter
How many kids have died of the nearly one million confirmed positive tests? Yes, nearly zero, which is what Elon is saying with "essentially". I am assuming what Elon meant with kids are children, not adults in their late 20s.

It will take a year, if not years, before we can look back and adequately determine what was done wrong and what was done right. Its likely that Elon was partially wrong, but also partially right -- which probably can be said about nearly any player in this whole disaster. And a disaster it is. The US and global economy is in shambles. We're back to 2008 and it may get worse. 3 million+ unemployed. Estimates of 100,000-200,000 deaths in this country.

Will it have been worth it to crash the economy? Maybe it was dumb to do that. How many lives we did save by doing that? Who knows at this point... Was it the Gov of Tesla who said that grandparents are/should be willing to sacrifice themselves for the economy? At least Elon voluntarily contributed ventilators way before any other company did. And no I won't base my car buying decisions on this issue, not as it stands now.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
A lot of people don't understand bias and therefore we have articles like that. You have to know what the history of a "news outlet" is, to understand what their take on the subject is.
And a lot of folks fail to do that too...

Having said that, Jalopnik which came from Gawker has been anti Musk for a long time.
I am not saying that a lot of what they say is wrong, but that is the thing with bias - you pick only the things that are wrong and mesh it up with your bias.

But on the topic - can you separate the art from artist?(not that Teslas are art, but you get the idea)
That is up to you.

But think of it like this - prior to Musk nobody really knew who the a*holes CEOs of VW, Daimler, Hyundai etc. were.
They were just these shady mofos that did their shady business and pocketed millions by doing software manipulation and pushing diesel cars even though they cause cancer.
Come Musk, now all of them come out of the woodwork.

The point being is that if you want to study all of them - you will never be able to buy a car. So if you are concerned about Musk(not the greatest guy), just get a bicycle...

Reported today that Elon did not buy ICU ready respirators, but CPAP machines.

An engineer should know enough to research the specs on any equipment.

I hope the article is wrong, but is sounds plausible and even has a pic of ResMed units.
Interesting news item on NPR today. Research shows that most people put on ventilators don't make it off the vent and die.
CPAP might be better since it can support the respiratory system before the patient gets too ill and could avoid total respiratory failure and ventilator.

Reactions: Callawayc7
If you only buy your vehicles from perfect people, you are gonna be walking.
It seems that there is a "lesser of two evils" choice with any purchase. Amazon is very convenient but Bezos is a typical entitled asshole. Some companies are definitely better than others. I think Tesla is one of the better companies in that it has its priorities straight. Also, Musk's actual statements have been distorted by the haters and his actions have been exemplary.

See, that's the problem with idolatry. If you're expecting/demanding perfection from your business leaders, politicians, humanitarians, teachers, clergy, you're bound to be disappointed at some point with some aspect of that individual. Don't miss the forest for the trees.

Reactions: aerodyne
Reported today that Elon did not buy ICU ready respirators, but CPAP machines.

An engineer should know enough to research the specs on any equipment.

I hope the article is wrong, but is sounds plausible and even has a pic of ResMed units.
I believe they are BiPAP machines, which are different from CPAP machine. They are bidirectional and a little closer to a normal ventilator. With a different tube they are good enough for many people who need assistance breathing due to the virus.

Here is more info on BiPAP machines from John Hopkins: BiPap

Will it have been worth it to crash the economy? Maybe it was dumb to do that. How many lives we did save by doing that?

Probably saved 8-9 million USA lives, vs doing nothing and just letting people spread the virus to everyone in the country. How bad do you think the economy would have been after that, never mind all the sick people who would have been unable to do their jobs. Doing nothing would have been criminal negligence.

Musk's impetuosity, etc., are just side effects of his superpower. Reminds me of a couple of other folks. Steve Jobs was one of them. ;)

Some days he reminds me of Bond villains (moon raker guy used NASA ). ;) I know he's quoted Bond movies before.

I went to school with Elon (didn't know him though, wish I had! ) He's a very smart engineer and businessman ( UPenn's MT program Home - Jerome Fisher Program in Management & Technology wharton+engineering school) which is a great combo

Last edited:
Reactions: alstoralset
I believe they are BiPAP machines, which are different from CPAP machine. They are bidirectional and a little closer to a normal ventilator. With a different tube they are good enough for many people who need assistance breathing due to the virus.

Here is more info on BiPAP machines from John Hopkins: BiPap

OK, but still Not Ventilators. He said he sent Ventilators. I expect that kinda "mistake" from non technical folks, ie politians, not a CEO of a tech company.