Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret not opting for performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming from the 3 AWD non-performance I thought the LR AWD Y was quite slow which is why I opted for the performance. I wish there was a price break for not getting the PUP but since there wasn't I went with the PUP. Otherwise you are paying $10k for just the faster 0-60.

Yeah I need to go drive the LR AWD Y .... on paper its not that much slower than the LR AWD 3.

Again, I'm also not buying the Y to the be the fastest, but its just that once you've had a quicker tesla, you're almost cursed.

to OP -- if you are asking the question - you really want a performance. Its the most exciting car ive ever driven and ive had performance vehicles and dogs. When I bought my BMW 650 convertible a few years ago the BMW dealer owner (a friend of a friend) said to me when I was deciding on the 6 or 8 cylinder - he said -- you want to be excited EVERY TIME you enter the vehicle - think about what excites you! Don't you know it - every time I get in my 6 series im excited by the acceleration - and growl.. Same thing for the model Y PUP - without growl :). Its fantastic to drive - I thought the 21's would suck - but just the opposite -- the car takes off like a rocket - nobody is faster than you on the road - period - and you feel like there is no friction at all between you and the road... IF that excites you and IF you have the cash - don't settle. Ive read everyones posts here - some say they don't need it and want the vehicle for practical reasons - I agree with them - that's their decision and what they WANT out of the car.... Determine what you want - and what will excite you.. Is it merely transportation - or something that you are purchasing to fully excite you - and a vehicle you would admire? Each option can bring you that excitement - they are all great vehicles... The other thing I learned as a young guy many years ago -- never skimp on power when buying. car - if you are into cars. Its a lot of money so you have to figure out what turns you on. Don't settle you live once if you can afford it...

With the price drop of 3k on the dual motor, vs only 1k on the performance....seems the standard dual motor is really the way to go (value wise). Having had two model 3's, I've always lusted after a performance variant.... but the PY is a bit more than I really want to spend (this sounds like deja vu in my head).. I know I should probably just spring for performance but its so hard to do!

Any dual motor owners already regretting not getting performance? Would love to hear more about the acceleration of the non-performance dual motor Y from 30-70. Would be nice to see videos comparing the Y to the 3 acceleration.
I've pushed back my Y once more (my doing this time) and am on the fence whether I want it as a performance or not. While I don't want the extra large wheels or the more expensive tires it takes, I would hate to pay the same for the base equipment. Would totally jump on a stealth if the price delta was similar to the P3D-/+ when this was an option.

I’m undecided but will consider selling the Uberturbines
I've pushed back my Y once more (my doing this time) and am on the fence whether I want it as a performance or not. While I don't want the extra large wheels or the more expensive tires it takes, I would hate to pay the same for the base equipment. Would totally jump on a stealth if the price delta was similar to the P3D-/+ when this was an option.

You can sell or trade the Uberturbines and go with a 19” or 20” from Tsportline. That way you get the PUP minus the extra large wheels. I’m still on the fence but I’ll probably keep the Uberturbines for summer and get a second winter or all weather set in a 19” or 20”. I’d like to trade my Uberturbines for the induction wheels.

to OP -- if you are asking the question - you really want a performance. Its the most exciting car ive ever driven and ive had performance vehicles and dogs. When I bought my BMW 650 convertible a few years ago the BMW dealer owner (a friend of a friend) said to me when I was deciding on the 6 or 8 cylinder - he said -- you want to be excited EVERY TIME you enter the vehicle - think about what excites you! Don't you know it - every time I get in my 6 series im excited by the acceleration - and growl.. Same thing for the model Y PUP - without growl :). Its fantastic to drive - I thought the 21's would suck - but just the opposite -- the car takes off like a rocket - nobody is faster than you on the road - period - and you feel like there is no friction at all between you and the road... IF that excites you and IF you have the cash - don't settle. Ive read everyones posts here - some say they don't need it and want the vehicle for practical reasons - I agree with them - that's their decision and what they WANT out of the car.... Determine what you want - and what will excite you.. Is it merely transportation - or something that you are purchasing to fully excite you - and a vehicle you would admire? Each option can bring you that excitement - they are all great vehicles... The other thing I learned as a young guy many years ago -- never skimp on power when buying. car - if you are into cars. Its a lot of money so you have to figure out what turns you on. Don't settle you live once if you can afford it...

Man - You literally spoke to my soul.... To be honest, I have a second vehicle which is an SUV, and I think deep down, the right move is to wait for the right used performance 3, which as a car guy, is the better "driving" vehicle.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
No regrets as the MY is easily the fastest car I have owned. I purposely have not test driven a performance model as I don't really want to see what I'm missing. ;) The price vs. performance wasn't worth it for me. I drove a M3 AWD and I was very impressed with the way it drove and just before I took delivery I was able to drive a MY AWD and that just cemented my decision. I decided I would put the extra money toward the FSD features versus performance. This is all person preference as I can easily see that some folks would think the opposite. I live in Houston, TX and there aren't many places in my usual driving that the extra acceleration would help. I'm already having to remind myself to check my speed more often as it is so easy to creep up way over the speed limit. I hate to think what that might be like in a performance model. I think the best way to decide what to get is to look at how you drive and what you enjoy about driving. I certainly do know that no matter what model you get, you will be happy with it.

Reactions: psuKinger
We haven't taken delivery yet so I can't say yet for sure.

But everyone's situation is going to be different. My partner was cited as "at fault" for an accident the day before thanksgiving in 2017. A jeep wrangler was doing double the speed limit on wet pavement around a blind corner. No dashcam, no tire marks (wet pavement) I was the only witness (in the passenger seat) and I'm bias. Then 2 years ago this week a lady that had been cited for going through a yellow light the week before, slammed on her brakes at a yellow light and my partner rear-ended her. No cars behind him, thank goodness, but it was early in the morning and the sun was blinding the collision avoidance camera on the i3.

That said, we are still in insurance purgatory for two at-fault accidents within a few years. My understanding this this lasts for about 5 years, so we are not even quite half way there. I didn't quote the Performance TMY, but I'm betting the difference would have been a lot more. It was already a lot, but the difference between my i3 and the TMY was like $100 a year. Not too bad.

So the non-performance is the right fit for us right now. I'm thinking eventually the TMY will become his car and we can sell his Leaf (replaced his totaled i3 with a Leaf due to insurance concerns but were able to stay electric) and I'll go with a PMY or a PM3.

Well-said. Exactly how I feel. I love the feeling and if I had ordered the non-P, I would live with regrets. You only live once so if you can afford it, do it. With all of the things going on in this crazy world we live in right now, I have a different perspective on life. Live it to the fullest.

That said, let's not forget TRACK MODE coming soon (one day) per Elon.

With the price drop of 3k on the dual motor, vs only 1k on the performance....seems the standard dual motor is really the way to go (value wise). Having had two model 3's, I've always lusted after a performance variant.... but the PY is a bit more than I really want to spend (this sounds like deja vu in my head).. I know I should probably just spring for performance but its so hard to do!

Any dual motor owners already regretting not getting performance? Would love to hear more about the acceleration of the non-performance dual motor Y from 30-70. Would be nice to see videos comparing the Y to the 3 acceleration.

I'm sure the performance is amazing fun, but I've never felt my LRAWD M3 to be lacking in fun (far from it). And when I do think about (lust after?) performance I remind myself: (a) for day-to-day the non-perf is a more compliant drive, (b) I'm saving on insurance, (c) AWD M3 seems to be sweet spot for resale value. And besides, life is to short to worry about such things. I just enjoy what I have :)

Occasionally, but it wasn't worth the price delta for me since I'd want the standard 19" Gemini wheels (been through 4 run flat low profile sport tires and one wheel in my trade in due to the potholes around here, not to mention the rough ride), don't want the spoiler or the metal pedals. Lots of money for an extra 1.3 sec faster to 60 and better brakes.

I've tried both. The standard one is stupid fast. The performance actually only feels any different in the first 2 seconds (Performance one really hits hard in those first 1- 2 seconds, standard is more gradual) , after that they both seem to pull the same. Roll on after you are moving doesn't feel a lot different. I am not interested in stiffer suspension or bigger wheels and couldnt care less what colour my brakes are and I am not racing it so the standard one suits me and my use.

Reactions: laservet