Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret not opting for performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove both and took delivery of a non-performance last Friday. Zero regrets, especially since the price difference is now 10k. I’ll add coilovers and wheels later and still have plenty of money left over, and the LR AWD is still stupid quick.
And hopefully the Acceleration Boost option will eventually appear.

Same for me, I liked the idea the Performance model, but could not justify another $10K (and don't want the lower/stiffer suspension). $2K to get more-or-less half-way is much preferred.

Same for me, I liked the idea the Performance model, but could not justify another $10K (and don't want the lower/stiffer suspension). $2K to get more-or-less half-way is much preferred.
Same here,, I bet the 2k upgrade will happen just like it did for the 3 !

IMG_0299~2.jpg

Nope.

Reactions: BlindPass
Are you a full grown child? Do you love rollercoasters? Does the thought of blowing the doors off a Dodge Challenger with a license plate that reads SAVAGE at a stoplight (or Porsche 911 Carrera T) make you chub up a little? Spend the $10K and enjoy it.

Are you a responsible adult? Are you happier holding the bags/drinks while everybody else rides the rollercoaster? Do you frown at degenerate hooligans who break the speed limit? Save the $10K and retire a few months early.

Either way you win :)

It’s like comparing a 335i to an m3. That’s the way I see it. If you want the fastest model and that’s your personality, you’ll regret not getting the performance. I made that mistake 10 years ago and got the 335i over the m3. Regretted it everytime an m3 pulled up next to me at the light. Didn’t want to make that mistake twice so I went with the performance Y

It’s like comparing a 335i to an m3. That’s the way I see it. If you want the fastest model and that’s your personality, you’ll regret not getting the performance. I made that mistake 10 years ago and got the 335i over the m3. Regretted it everytime an m3 pulled up next to me at the light. Didn’t want to make that mistake twice so I went with the performance Y
Good comparison. Felt the same on our Cayenne.

In the same vein, I was hoping the MY would just be M3 with a hatch. The driving characteristics are just a little too different. Waiting to see what happens with the S.

If range and ride quality were similar then I would have gone with the performance but I value the extra range more than the extra second 0-60. The non-performance is so ridiculously fast as it is that it wasn't important to me to lose the range and $10K. I mean top speed of 135mph vs 155? There will never be a time (short of taking it to the track which I have no plans on doing) where I would ever come close to doing 135.

To each his own though...

Reactions: psuKinger and db93
I did, on my Model 3. So when the Y came, pulled the trigger on Performance with upgrade package.

To this day, I am still thinking of trading in my LR AWD Model 3 for a Performance. Just waiting on what Battery Investor Day has to offer.

No regrets whatsoever. Especially now that if I order a MY P, the range goes down to 291 miles. I want the max range I can get. I don't need the range hit and higher price for 1.3 sec faster 0-60 speed. When I get on my MY LR it is still very thrilling!

With the price drop of 3k on the dual motor, vs only 1k on the performance....seems the standard dual motor is really the way to go (value wise). Having had two model 3's, I've always lusted after a performance variant.... but the is a bit more than I really want to spend (this sounds like deja vu in my head).. I know I should probably just spring for performance but its so hard to do!

Any dual motor owners already regretting not getting performance? Would love to hear more about the acceleration of the non-performance dual motor Y from 30-70. Would be nice to see videos comparing the Y to the 3 acceleration.

Don't regret it. The LR accoring to Tesla goes 0-60 in 4.8 sec.s (Car & Driver claimed 4.4 sec.s) which will outperform nearly all gas cars other than "supercars." Spending another $10K to go a second faster makes little sense and I already have a "leadfoot." Living in New England" requires the vehicle to be higher and I don't want to.lose mileage with the sport wheels.

Are you a full grown child? Do you love rollercoasters? Does the thought of blowing the doors off a Dodge Challenger with a license plate that reads SAVAGE at a stoplight (or Porsche 911 Carrera T) make you chub up a little? Spend the $10K and enjoy it.

Are you a responsible adult? Are you happier holding the bags/drinks while everybody else rides the rollercoaster? Do you frown at degenerate hooligans who break the speed limit? Save the $10K and retire a few months early.

Either way you win :)
But I did squirrel away $2K for the eventual Performance Boost upgrade. That has to be the best "bang for the buck" Tesla offers.
That is so cool that you will get that option. I used to hack/tune my ICE car and 2K is not many parts with very modest enhancement most of the time. This perspective is what made the Performance swallowable for me. I to am counting on some software improvements over the coming months to spice it up? range? accel? Ill take it.

That is so cool that you will get that option. I used to hack/tune my ICE car and 2K is not many parts with very modest enhancement most of the time. This perspective is what made the Performance swallowable for me. I to am counting on some software improvements over the coming months to spice it up? range? accel? Ill take it.
I’m looking forward to when aftermarket tinkering will more prevalent on EVs. Probably more software based, but there’s a lot of money to be made by 3rd party vendors once EVs are a larger market share. There’s already the boost available for certain M3 LR.

My list of aftermarket upgrades in order of priority: tires, rims, suspension, brakes.

I’m looking forward to when aftermarket tinkering will more prevalent on EVs. Probably more software based, but there’s a lot of money to be made by 3rd party vendors once EVs are a larger market share. There’s already the boost available for certain M3 LR.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
My list of aftermarket upgrades in order of priority: tires, rims, suspension, brakes.
Isn’t most of that already available at some level?

Mine would definitely be software based, namely OTA updates.That allows you to not be at the whim of Tesla. Power electronics and software allowing for unlocking better performance would be second. Perhaps even motor/hardware swapouts.

I have a question about performance (and eventually acceleration boost). Looking at the M3P dyno runs at various SoCs, the car is down ~50 HP at 60% charge. Does the non-boosted AWD, being software limited, keep the same output power further down in charge than the performance models? (e.g. Is my AWD the same speed at 60% SoC as 100%?) In other words, is the difference between a performance and AWD less at 60% than at higher states of charge?

Last edited: