Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regretted getting a Performance M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my P. With the windows tinted it really does stand out from the sea of model 3s around.

After coming from an etron the ride was a bit of a shock, but on the twisties it’s just so capable. I personally dislike all other alloy options and love the turbines.

Yes I could go aftermarket etc, but I’m past that tbh, I just want something off the shelf that offers what I want.

Is it the most cost effective, no, but do I regret getting it? Absolutely not.

If I was hacking up and down the motorway and going long journeys all the time, would I get a P? Absolutely not.

Reactions: Stuart1714
I just got the Performance because I knew if I went LR I’d be wanting to chop it in after a year for the P. The wheels and the spoiler also makes what is an otherwise ordinary looking car a bit more special - it’s just a shame the windows aren’t tinted from factory to complete the look.

Not really bothered about the slight reduction in range and if I need comfort I can just use the family X3.

Reactions: milesr3 and 73henny
I have both a P and a LR. The P has more additional feature like homelink (which you now can buy as an option on the LR but prior not), and a fantastic sound system. Is it worth the 10k extra…. No if i am honest, if i would buy a Y now ( which i might) I probably would go for the LR version.

I would have liked to go for the P but I couldn't justify the 10K as I was buying mine.

I somewhat shot myself in the foot by PPFing my car also, I haven't found an insurer that will insure both PPF & AB without my pants being pulled down - Adrian Flux wanted £1900

RSymons showed in one of his videos that his car is no lower.
Stiffer even if not lowered. Personally I cannot justify the £10k difference, made even worse when other countries are only paying half that - just feels like a rip off. Most of the P features are useful on a track, which isn't something I do.

The brakes are worse when cold compared to an LR, which they always are when on the road and you are using regen braking most of the time.

I have both a P and a LR. The P has more additional feature like homelink (which you now can buy as an option on the LR but prior not), and a fantastic sound system. Is it worth the 10k extra…. No if i am honest, if i would buy a Y now ( which i might) I probably would go for the LR version.
LR and P has the same sound system though

I went into “buying a model 3” on the basis I’d be buying a P as it was within budget and I’m a performance freak that tracks cars for fun.
In the end I went LR purely on the basis that any model 3 is not a £60k car. It’s at best a £55k or less car. That doesn’t do the P any favours as they are almost exactly the same car as a LR, but with a different battery pack and software (which has some value).

The only thing I miss, is the reaction from passengers that you get with the P. Not worth £10k though.

I went into “buying a model 3” on the basis I’d be buying a P as it was within budget and I’m a performance freak that tracks cars for fun.
In the end I went LR purely on the basis that any model 3 is not a £60k car. It’s at best a £55k or less car. That doesn’t do the P any favours as they are almost exactly the same car as a LR, but with a different battery pack and software (which has some value).

The only thing I miss, is the reaction from passengers that you get with the P. Not worth £10k though.
you want to say that passengers do not react to the performance of LR at all?!

Reading this is making me regret my decision to get the performance :(

The consensus seems to be the LR with AB is on a par with the performance model in terms of speed and acceleration. Why have Tesla done this, because it kind of defeats the object of the performance model if you can just spend £1.5k on a LR and get the equivalent performance.

you want to say that passengers do not react to the performance of LR at all?!
No, they do, but the Performance is on another level. It has this instant hit and then sustained acceleration. The LR has similar sustained acceleration but doesn’t have that violent hit to start it off. Makes a difference to the passenger reaction from “wow this is scary” to “just expletives”.

I imagine a Plaid is extra fun in this aspect.

No, they do, but the Performance is on another level. It has this instant hit and then sustained acceleration. The LR has similar sustained acceleration but doesn’t have that violent hit to start it off. Makes a difference to the passenger reaction from “wow this is scary” to “just expletives”.

I imagine a Plaid is extra fun in this aspect.
yeah. but then again, AB is making LR close to P.

I am waiting for my bonus and will order AB :D

I consider it a fail if i use my brakes these days :) RSymons showed in one of his videos that his car is no lower.

But not to take away the fact that money no object I would have had the P - well a Taycan Cross Turisimo if I was playing that game
Apparently there is talk of newer P cars coming without lowered suspension. Not sure how much truth there is in it, but "lowered suspension" is not listed on the features for the car anymore. I can't remember when I last saw it there:

Screenshot 2022-02-09 at 10.54.44.png

See also: Tesla updates Model 3 Performance feature list to remove "lowered suspension" [Update]

I agree about the brakes, on my typical journeys I'm only using regen. In fact, I only tend to use the brakes to clean them.