Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone running 255s all around on M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So one of my tires need to be replaced in the rear due to a bubble from hitting a pothole and the tread is at 3 anyways so I plan on replacing both rear tires. My question is anyone running 255s on their M3P uberturbine wheels? The fronts are at 4s so they still have some tread. Should I just replace the rears or do all 4? Michelin PS4s are kinda pricey and been looking at Yokohama ADVAN APEX V601. Will 255/35/20 fit all around or should I do 245s? I dont want to run oem size. Also don’t care about the sound, but more interested in handling and tire life.

I'm planning to have 255/35 PS4s installed on my 20" ubers all around next week, assuming they fit. They should based on other forum posts I've seen, but my car is lowered about 1.2" on coilovers so hopefully they don't rub. I'm having the shop test fit them so assuming they work, I'll report back once I get them on! I really think 255s are a more appropriate size for 20x9 wheels, the stock 235s are so stretched.

Reactions: finaufan
I'm planning to have 255/35 PS4s installed on my 20" ubers all around next week, assuming they fit. They should based on other forum posts I've seen, but my car is lowered about 1.2" on coilovers so hopefully they don't rub. I'm having the shop test fit them so assuming they work, I'll report back once I get them on! I really think 255s are a more appropriate size for 20x9 wheels, the stock 235s are so stretched.
I'm lowered on Tsportline springs. About 1 inch all around. I am also running 5mm spacers front and 14mm rear. No rubbing issues whatsoever.

You should be fine!

I had the DWS06, not the plus on an Audi. Great tires. Word is the Plus is way better.

I misspoke above about the Hankooks above. I went with Sumitomo HTR A/S P03 strictly based on price. About $200 cheaper per set of four. Seem fine so far.

Thanks for input guys. I’m also assuming the tires don’t have the acoustic foam. Don’t really care. Anyone use Yokohama tires? Not trying to spend hella money on the Michelins but also don’t want a cheap ass tire either.
@BarackObama888 Bridgestone Potenza Sport are pretty great. They're a direct competitor for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and the Bridgestones were a little cheaper because, well, anything is cheaper than Michelins. 😄 Bridgestone obviously isn't a budget brand either though, there are cheaper alternatives out there for sure.

Here's my writeup on them:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6586661/

Note I haven't used the PS4S myself yet so can't make a direct comparison there, but I can say the Potenza Sport were a real nice upgrade from the Pirelli PZ4 that my M3P came with. I was actually going to try the PS4S first based on all recommendations here but they were on deep backorder everywhere in the size I wanted.

Wait a sec, looks like the Potenza Sport have gone up in price and are now more expensive than the PS4S, at least in the size I bought (245/45R18). 🧐 Darn inflation. (Everything else I've bought for this car has gone up too.) The Potenza Sport are great street performance tires and probably worth it, but if you're price sensitive I'd certainly pick whichever is cheaper between PS4S and Potenza Sport in your chosen size...or go cheaper still.

Conti ExtremeContactSport are probably a solid alternative that are reliably cheaper than either PS4S or Potenza Sport. The ECS are older and I think considered not *quite* as good as either the PS4S or Potenza Sport from the comparisons I've seen, but I'm sure the ECS are still a good tire in their own right, and I've liked all the Conti tires I've tried over the years across multiple categories (but I haven't used the ECS).

I’ve been running 255/35/20 PS4S on all 4 corners with aftermarket wheels (and lowered) since about a week after I took delivery of my car. I don’t have any road noise issues, but I’m fairly tolerant of it I think.

Too bad you’re a few hundred miles away from me, as I’m about to have a very low miles extra set.

Here are a few pics. Pardon the dirty car...
8AFA5310-B6BF-482F-9BB6-185D76CA27C3.jpeg
FD675CAE-1F29-48A3-A760-8F239AFA9208.jpeg
1AD4B1F5-AE52-4A73-875D-69AB0B13B8C5.jpeg

Reactions: js403 and Fausted
Wouldn’t the wider tires effect your range?
@gearbox I believe in theory yes. But that's not a priority in tire selection for many of us. :)

I think 235 vs 245 vs 255 will also be a smaller effect than the specific choice of tire, or the choice of wheel if you're open to changing out the wheels.

If you are especially concerned about eeking out maximum range from your M3P you'll want to ditch the Uberturbines anyways. But for many this car has plenty of range already. I did switch out my Uberturbines but not because I needed extra range, that was just an unexpected side benefit. If I had stayed with the Uberturbines I'd be looking at putting 255s on them too (245s minimum).

Last edited: