Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone solved the ghosting double vision issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So took an overnight test drive of an X. I figured if I'm spending $100K I should know if I'm going to see the ghosting issue. The final analysis? Ghosting is REAL.

I haven't decided if I'm going to proceed with my order or not given this issue (the car I had was a 5 Seater so fairly new). It's manageable but it is distracting and potentially headache inducing. I was very sad when I saw it since I love the X so much otherwise!

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
It's been a year maybe more. I am not sure they are looking into it.
I definitely think they've looked into it. Whether or not they are still working towards a solution is debatable. There appears to be some feedback recently from Tesla SC that the Windshields are within specification and they even have some testing equipment to verify that.

While these windshields may be legally within the tolerances dictated by law, I think those tolerances are way too lenient. My personal windshield has noticeable ghosting and while it may cause increased strain during night-driving (I haven't done a lot yet), I wouldn't say it's a big safety issue.

However, I can imagine that with a slightly worse windscreen and for someone who does a lot of night driving behind cars with LED tail-lights, it can be a safety issue.

At this stage, if Tesla is quoting standards and being within spec, it doesn't sound promising that there will be a large-scale recall or windscreen replacement. Perhaps (this is speculation) their manufacturer is refusing to recall (under warranty) these windscreens because they are within spec. and Tesla isn't in a position to pay for a total replacement out-of-pocket.

I just hope that long-term they are working on a better solution (either internally or by switching manufacturers) so that they can provide a better product. Tesla is always (quietly) making improvements to all areas of the vehicle and rolls them out as soon as they are ready. So, I wouldn't be surprised if one day the windshields have significantly reduced ghosting.

I would still recommend that all customers with bad ghosting complain to Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
Hi ssq!

Could yu tell us what method(s) the SC used to determine the unacceptability of your windshield? Did they only comment on secondary images or include commentary on tertiary and quartenary images...or no additional information?

Thank you very much

Fury

Someone mentioned in some other post that they might have a tool to test with. Not sure how true.
Wouldn't be hard to test for yourself. Someone posted the legal guide-lines, so all you need is a laser on a tripod, a white sheet of paper with scotch tape and the tape-measure to follow the guide-lines.

I was planning to do this and got so far as to purchase a laser. Just haven't gotten around to do it yet, as it's cold and miserable outside. Maybe in a few months when the weather gets better.

I took mine to the SC and stated it was Within standards. Their method of test was night driving, with video recordings send to their engineers to determine if a replacement was needed.

Mine isn't as bad as others so I'm now going to have photosync tint added to see if the ghosting is minimized.