Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was having usb slow issues on zero and Pi4. I changed my very fast sd card to a super-ultra-mega-enduro-max-pro-class1000-UD-RX (Cheap https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NY23WBG)
and used the new beta branch. Everything working fine for 2 weeks now. I did have one weird hiccup which required a reboot, but nothing else.

I'm using the same Samsung endurance card you linked and was getting USB slow messages on the 0615 release. I wiped it out and switched to the Buster beta, and now I can't get it working at all, but I haven't had time to troubleshoot the Pi yet.

Maybe this weekend I will try the buster version to see if that helps. The fact that it happens on the Pi4 for some makes me think that it's something to do with throughput of the OTG port more than the OS or SD card. And withe the 4th camera being added to the recording, it may have pushed it over the edge.

I'm running my Pi Zero W with the 128GB Samsung High Endurance. Music is on a separate SD Card. I needed to update my Tesla account credentials, so I ended up rerunning setup, and therefore doing an update on mine. I immediately started having the too slow errors. After looking online, I reflashed with the Buster release AND changed my config to camsize=80% (no music). So far, it's working OK.

BTW, it was driving me crazy until I realized it was the Pi that kept locking me out of my account! It needs to stop trying once it fails to connect.

Last edited:
I've been playing around with the Buster release today. Took a few runs of the setup scripts to get it running, but it appears to be working ok so far. I setup the options for the Pi to be an access point, and I can see its SSID.

Now to figure out how to get an iPhone to connect to the Pi, and actually view the footage... Any pointers on that?

Unless you've changed it, it may be the default: username 'pi'; password 'raspberry'.
Thank you very much for your help with this.

I've been having so much fun setting up my Raspberry Pi for use with my car, that I'm thinking seriously of taking up a Raspberry Pi hobby. Plus, it's a great excuse to learn Linux, which I've been putting off for way too many years now.

So here's the plan...

I flashed the Buster version (which is beta but working flawlessly so far for me) of the marcone teslausb branch, in hopes of getting a Raspberry Pi Zero W set up to not only transfer saved videos and sentry videos to my home computer automatically, but to also act as a WiFi access point.

Having the Pi act as a WiFi access point while you're out and about gives you the ability to watch any Tesla generated videos on your phone. It will not, obviously, act as an internet WiFi access point; its only purpose is to allow you to access the video files.

The phone of interest in this use case is an iPhone XR. I'm planning on using the web browser based video player here to view the videos on the phone.

The really nice thing about that web app video player that I just linked to is that it doesn't actually upload the video to a website, it plays the videos from local storage.

But how to get the videos off of the Pi, via WiFi, to the iPhone, where it can then be played by the web app player? That's the part I'm currently working on.

When I get the whole thing figured out, I'll post a step-by-step how-to. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this, I'm all ears. :)

Cx File Explorer on Android has the ability (per the Play Store description) to browse SMB file shares, so in theory this should work for Android. I checked with the dev of TeslaCam/Sentry Reviewer app and he also said he's working on adding that to his app too.

I'm getting slow USB errors almost daily on the Buster release too. :eek::mad:

Power cycling the Pi resolves the error. I haven't figured out if there's a pattern or what's triggering the errors yet.

I wonder if there is a way to setup the Pi to record diagnostics so that you can tell how fast it's really writing to the SD card? Maybe we could figure out the threshold that the Tesla requires before it throws the error and optimize to prevent it.

So far I haven’t seen this once on my Samsung SSD. So something about the Pi is slowing it down and causing this error.

When you have the Pi connected to your computer and running in USB drive mode, I think you might even be able to get Crystal Disk to run and test read/write speeds. I’m going to try this later.

I haven’t gotten any “Drive Too Slow” errors from the car yet, but I’ve only been using the Buster version since yesterday.

So right now, the problem is that the Pi restarts every time I try to access its CIFS share via WiFi.

Edit: Actually, it’s restarting every two minutes like clockwork.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that it is in WiFi range of the network it uses to upload videos and I’m trying to use its WiFi AP feature at the same time. I might have to turn off the router.

Last edited:
FWIW. I installed the beta Buster-based version last night on my Pi Zero W with 32 GB Samsung EVO Select SD Card. On this morning's commute it worked without the "slow USB" warning. This was the first time it worked since V10. Not ready to declare victory yet, but this is positive news.

Reactions: Phlier
The built-in Files app has the ability to connect to SMB/CIFS shares (which is what the teslausb advertises), so you should just be able to connect via the files app. At which point you can copy/play etc.
I've been trying to figure out how to get this to work.

So I'm connected to the Pi's WiFi, and the Pi has the address 192.168.66.1. Going into the "Files" app, I then select "Connect To Server", then enter the Pi's address (192.168.66.1), and select Pi as the Username, and Raspberry as the password. This results in a "There was a problem connecting to the server..." dialog box.

Not quite sure where to go from here. The documentation for the Buster teslausb branch is pretty sparse...

If you've re-imaged your SD card more than once or filled it at some point, you should probably erase everything on it using some kind of utility that lets you use TRIM to tell the device that all blocks should be marked discarded rather than appearing as data to the SD card (and impacting wear leveling). Additionally, under-allocating the card (i.e. leaving 10-20% unpartitioned / unused) is a good idea too (and also can be useful for many cheaper regular SSD's) as the more full (from the device's perspective - hence TRIM'ing unused blocks) they get the slower than generally are.

Most devices these days will use a portion of the device operating at SLC for better write performance and then over time move the data to MLC/TLC/QLC formatted blocks (which take up less space but are slower to write), and if they run out of space for SLC write caching the performance drops off a cliff (some can be noticeably slower than HDDs)

I've been trying to figure out how to get this to work.

So I'm connected to the Pi's WiFi, and the Pi has the address 192.168.66.1. Going into the "Files" app, I then select "Connect To Server", then enter the Pi's address (192.168.66.1), and select Pi as the Username, and Raspberry as the password. This results in a "There was a problem connecting to the server..." dialog box.

Not quite sure where to go from here. The documentation for the Buster teslausb branch is pretty sparse...
Unless the marcone software is already setting it, you might need to SSH into the Pi and use smbpassword to set the password for the 'pi' user. By default Samba uses a separate password system.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier