Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's my understanding of the rapid flashing as well. However, it never exits the transferring phase, even after an hour or two. If I then remove the pi and reboot outside of the car, it boots no problem and enters the ready stage almost immediately. And I'm still pretty wary about why the Tesla USB port becomes non-functional, until I reboot the MCU.
Which USB port of the pi are you connecting to? It should be connected to the inner-most connector. If you're looking at it top down, it should be the left one. The right is power only .

So the Pi 4 works? Can it also act as a wifi hotspot?

I'm thinking maybe we could modify it to display a webpage on the Tesla's browser that could actually play the videos. I'm not sure the Zero is powerful enough for that, but the Pi 4 should be plenty powerful enough.
Both the Zero W and the 4 can not only do a WiFi hotspot, but even do a hotspot and also be a client at the same time (though setting this up is a bit convoluted).

However, I'm not sure if the Tesla vehicle will stay connected to a Wifi that doesn't have direct internet access. I know that when I tried to connect to a free hotspot that required sign in it disconnected with a message about a sign in being requried (this was still on V9 I think though, so it's possible this is/will be solved in the future).

Reactions: Kacey Green
I'm still rocking on the Pi Zero W; only got the 'Slow USB' notice when I'd left it plugged in while upgrading the car's firmware. Reflashing fixed it and I haven't seen the error since. I'll probably reflash once the "2.0" release is considered stable.

I keep getting the too slow message when I'm driving. I have a high quality 256GB SD card. (SanDisk Endurance)

Now I notice that it hasn't uploaded the clips in a few days either. Ugh.

I think I'm just going to buy an SSD and call it a day. I don't want to futz with this that much.

I had the too slow and also no space errors on my Pi0. I bought a sandisk endurance and did not use the full 128 Gig. Running now for a couple days with no problem.

What I did:
I replaced a high speed sd card with the endurance version.
Music 32GB
CAM 48GB
Beta image from marcone

Reactions: Kacey Green
iOS 13 added support for external USB drives. There are a few apps in the store that allow you to simply plug the USB drive in and then it'll catalog the clips by event and show them as a set. I had to buy a special USB C to lightning adapter to make it work, but I should have that tomorrow to test out. If it works well then I'll just keep the adapter in my car so I can use it to pull clips immediately if there is an incident. Otherwise I'll just let the Tesla software do it's thing and never think about it again.

Please excuse my noob question. I have successfully installed marcone's teslausb with a PI4. I can see the wifi hotspot on my android phone and connect to it. But, I don't have a clue on what to do next. How do I get to the CAM folder to view the files remotely? Is there an app that I need or an address that I need to put into my browser?

Thanks in advance.