Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait so are you using two USB cables? One for power and one for data+power? I thought I read on the Pi forums that doing that would damage the Pi?
Using the single cable for power and data results in my Pi just being stuck in a reboot loop, after some googling, people suggested the double cable method, which works, but is a manual process and isn't set and forget like I wanted.

Does the change to dash cam storage folder and sentry mode auto delete in v10 change how this setup functions?

The folder structure change will need a code change to accommodate. The sync scripts are looking in certain directories for files/directories that follow a specific path. If that changes, the scripts need to be updated.

The auto-delete function won't be a problem. The Teslacam software keeps the drive from filling up (if it has a chance to offload video clips), so this should new feature should never be triggered when using Teslacam. If it is, the oldest files are simply deleted off the flash drive, so there is no issue with that happening.

Only the car, any computer works just fine. According to some comments online, it may be the MCU looking for storage medium, not finding it and then power cycling the port and trying again, so it's the Pi taking too long to boot up.

You don't have to plug in a USB storage device into the car. The USB port could be used to power all kinds of non-USB storage devices. So the car "looking" for a storage device, not finding one, and power cycling the USB port makes no sense.

How do you know it is power cycling? If you are on WiFi at the time, it could be trying to upload content and it doesn't make the USB drive mountable while it is trying to upload. Have you plugged it in with the single cable (or double, not going to matter) and driven away from WiFi and seen if it worked after a few minutes?

I just got this set up last night. Which is to say, I got the Pi imaged and working. I have yet to test the drive-home automatic syncing. I had some issues with the "one step setup" because my WPA password has some special characters in it; I ended up having to boot the Pi up as far as it would go, log into it, and manually set up the wpa_supplicant.conf file; once I did that everything else Just Worked. Looking forward to hearing how FLAC audio sounds on the car's sound system.

Reactions: Phlier
Wait so are you using two USB cables? One for power and one for data+power? I thought I read on the Pi forums that doing that would damage the Pi?
As long as both connections are at the same ground reference and same +5V it's just adding more wires to carry the same voltage, which in the case of power limited USB ports means more total power available. Basically, as long as you're not trying to power it from two different systems (like two different computers or AC adapters) it should be fine.

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti and Tz00
Thanks for the suggestion. I got excited because I didn't realize that there were x.1 options for cifs_version, but I just tried it and no luck.

Do you or anyone else know the actual Linux command that's trying to access the shared drive? If I could try it outside of the install script it'd help me troubleshoot more quickly.

It's just running `mount $mountpoint`, it's working through configurations in /etc/fstab to fill in the blanks for `mount` to work without and other arguments. Also, there are helpful logs in /mutable/ that will help in diagnosing what's not working.

Sorry to triple-post like this, but I thought I'd share one more point of information:
I was a little leery of vampire drain from the Pi potentially keeping the car awake or vice versa, and I'm pleased to report that I only lost one mile of range overnight, which I think is about par for the course.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Sorry to triple-post like this, but I thought I'd share one more point of information:
I was a little leery of vampire drain from the Pi potentially keeping the car awake or vice versa, and I'm pleased to report that I only lost one mile of range overnight, which I think is about par for the course.
I kept a close watch on my Pi for the first few days, as I have the "keep awake through API" option set up.

The Pi stops sending the "wake" message, and the car rests comfortably shortly after the Pi is done sending the vids.

I'm more than pleased with my Pi setup.