Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have 2019.32.2.2 build da05838, and I also have the FSD capability upgrade. It might be worth booting the Zero up and fscking your SD card's partitions.
Thank you, good suggestion and I will check. I also have a PI 4 on its way to try out. I don't think firmware would make a difference as I think I had the problem already when I was on your firmware, I'm on 2 12 atm

Pi 4 will definitely be much faster if the storage can keep up (the biggest bottleneck is usually not the SD card unless it's garbage, but the speed at which it can do the whole fake USB translation to actual storage thing - though even then the latencies add up on both ends and limit throughput, so better cards still help). I tested an orange Pi zero as being a tiny bit faster than a pi zero w, and a pi 4 was a lot faster.

If the card worked then became too slow, perhaps try using a tool that can perform TRIM operation to erase the entire card, then reinstall everything again (or if you know your way around Linux, get into the Pi and remove the USB mounted images, trim the filesystem(s), and then recreate the USB mounted images).

When becoming full, cards tend to get slow, and it's possible the way the teslacam Pi software is set up doesn't provide a way to automatically trim unused space even after normal deletion of videos (so eventually the card things it's 100% used even though a bunch of it is nothing). Especially with using FAT for the videos, since deleting files doesn't even zero them out where they could be detected as empty space...

The full Pi doesn't have the OTG functionality though, so the image may need some reengineering. I'm happy with the Zero, and if worse comes to worst, I can get two high-endurance SD cards, and when things get wonky, swap them and re-image the one coming out of the car.

I was just talking to the mobile tech who installed my HomeLink adapter. He said that everything runs through the FSD computer and when the computer gets overwhelmed it will start to shut down non-critical systems to keep the car going. He said when you get that "too slow" message that it can actually overwhelm the computer and cause it to start shutting down. He said it can also cause the screen to be slower to react to input and can sometimes randomly shut down the LTE connection. (Which I've actually seen once)

So if you're suddenly getting that too slow message you shouldn't ignore it as it could lead to other issues.

Things I've learned:
Bigger SD card means that fsck takes much longer on boot. o_O
I can't successfully find an Android app that will connect to the SMB share on the Pi when the phone is connected to the Pi via the Pi WAP.

Hopefully somebody here has some insight on the second one.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I can't successfully find an Android app that will connect to the SMB share on the Pi when the phone is connected to the Pi via the Pi WAP.

Hopefully somebody here has some insight on the second one.
Look into Astro File Manager; it has plugins for the various things you can connect it to, and I think one of them is CIFS shares. You should also be able to connect to remost SSH filesystems with it; IIRC look in `/mutable/.

A little late for this warning, but if you're using Marcone's fork of the teslausb project, unplug your Pi before you download and install the V10 firmware for the car. Otherwise, your Pi will be very unhappy and need to be reimaged. He's also got development in the works to be aware of the new Sentry video archives. He's also accepted a patch I submitted to make the configurator not Halt and Catch Fire if your SSID or WPA password has a slash in it.

A little late for this warning, but if you're using Marcone's fork of the teslausb project, unplug your Pi before you download and install the V10 firmware for the car. Otherwise, your Pi will be very unhappy and need to be reimaged. He's also got development in the works to be aware of the new Sentry video archives. He's also accepted a patch I submitted to make the configurator not Halt and Catch Fire if your SSID or WPA password has a slash in it.

my Pi is sitting on my desk for now, because of the “USB Device too slow” Messages I started getting with the later V9 updates. Any word on whether that’s been solved yet? Last I saw, it was the USB gadget driver that looked like it could be the culprit ....

A little late for this warning, but if you're using Marcone's fork of the teslausb project, unplug your Pi before you download and install the V10 firmware for the car. Otherwise, your Pi will be very unhappy and need to be reimaged.
I installed 32.10.1 and 32.11 while leaving my pi zero connected without issue. I did notice on my first drive after 32.11 that the dash cam icon didn't display, but I was only going about 5 min from my house. When I drove back home, it was one per usual.

my Pi is sitting on my desk for now, because of the “USB Device too slow” Messages I started getting with the later V9 updates. Any word on whether that’s been solved yet? Last I saw, it was the USB gadget driver that looked like it could be the culprit ....

I started getting that immediately after V10, and then after a bit the Pi was just not getting seen by the car at all. Booting and checking the logs had the filesystem in a very bad way, and it needed re-imaging. This was replicated by some others using the same build; a fresh build should be immune, as it were.

I installed 32.10.1 and 32.11 while leaving my pi zero connected without issue. I did notice on my first drive after 32.11 that the dash cam icon didn't display, but I was only going about 5 min from my house. When I drove back home, it was one per usual.

Marcone mentioned that there were some recent changes he made, so it depends on how recently you make your SD card image. Just be forewarned, I suppose, that if it tips over, a re-image should resolve it.

I just started with the macrone fork of teslausb and it is working great. I'm just trying to understand what the best setup is. I have a fast 128GB SD card and currently my camsize=16GB and musicsize=0. I noticed that the video clips get copied upon boot from the 16GB bin file into /backingfiles/snapshots. So I suppose you only need a larger camsize if you endure lots of Sentry video's in one go.

I figure teslausb only reboots after the car goes to sleep and cuts power to the Pi Zero W. So if Sentry mode is on all the time and you are never connected to your home wifi the Sentry clips will just accumulate within the 16GB until it is full? Couldn't teslacam detect the 16GB is filling up and empty it into /backingfiles/snapshots during such time?