Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switch from X to S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone has switched their Model X to a Model S, or is going to. What are your reasons?

I'm going to buy my wife a small SUV she wants and the X will default to me, so I'm considering the switch to an S. We have two kids and the S will still fit our needs. Might not be as easy but then again without having to worry about the FWDs is always a good thing, especially in Colorado. I'm sure despite the incentives/credit I'll take a small hit but would like to hear some other opinions.

Reactions: wesley888
We have both. The X (especially the 6-seater) is definitely a more family friendly vehicle. Not to say that the S isn't family friendly because it's reasonably comfortable for a family of 4, but whenever we go anywhere with the kids we take the X. With that said, if your new SUV will fill the role of the family hauler and you're looking for your own "fun car", then go for one of the Model S Ludicrous models. ;)

I dont like the S because I always slam my shoulder and bump my head when getting in the car. Its too small for me. I am only 6'1" so not sure why this happens but the A pillar is too far forward for me.
I am 6'2" and have no trouble entering/exiting my S but agree that it does take some flexibility. I have checked out the X and it is obviously much easier to enter/exit than the S.

I had a reservation for an X for a year and a half but finally canceled it last week. The lack of folding second row seats was a deal breaker for me. It's more a a minivan/MPV than an SUV and it wouldn't fit my needs. They do now offer a 5 seat version with folding seats but I would've wanted a 6 seat version with folding seats. I did like the ride height of the X but didn't want to make a $100,000 purchase decision after the 15 minute test drive event last March. I ended up placing an order for an S a couple weeks after test driving the X and am finally having it delivered next week.

If you search back a ways in the forum, you can find lots of other threads discussing X vs. S.

I dont like the S because I always slam my shoulder and bump my head when getting in the car. Its too small for me. I am only 6'1" so not sure why this happens but the A pillar is too far forward for me.

One of the three or four big reasons I picked the X over the S (Also the windshield, factory towing, and at the time the ventilated seats (somewhat disappointing) and HEPA filter were X only.)

Nope. S to X here. Loved the S, but like the X better. Visibility is much better. Getting in and out is a LOT easier for me, and passengers (older parents, etc.). It has plenty of cargo room, and like the ride height a lot more. S was great, did feel "sportier" and overall I think is a sexier automobile. Also like some little refinements in the X like some additional wood trim, storage spaces, adjustable seat belt restraints, and few things the S should have had by now.

Now, if they would only make a nice refined convertible S, could see that in our garage as an additional family member...

Reactions: madodel and Saghost
We had our $5k reservation on the X waitlist for over 1½ - until just a few weeks ago. Vs will be delivered in just a couple more weeks. Even at 6'-5" our decision to switch was based on dissatisfaction with company responses relating to ghosting. On the one hand we are told it's the nature of curvy glass. That response simply sounds like they're saying you just have to deal with it. On the other hand there's supposed to be a fix coming soon. Well, how can there be a fix if "that's just the nature". And how can that be the nature when the anomaly occurs inconsistently between vehicles. Yea - I'd rather have a difficult time getting in and out or bumping my head then hoping I didn't get a windshield with ghosting. Maybe when there's 100% satisfaction - we can switch vehicles.

Just talked to a friend today who has 300 miles on his S. He's getting on in years and finds himself having trouble getting in and out. After riding in my X, he's made the difficult choice to take the financial loss and trade in for an X. I hope Tesla cuts him a fair deal.

Reactions: madodel
The only reason I would switch to a S is if I really wanted ludicrous fun. For everythibg else I feel the X is a way better car and not just for confort. The windshield is a dream.

There's only a half second difference between the X and the S. The X is faster than anything else you have ever driven. I've had mine to the drags and it is a blast. I'm an old drag racer from the 60's and have never driven anything nearly as fast. Mine is "only" a P90 (no L) but the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds flat at 112 mph is better than I ever did in the old days, including the big block Vettes..

There's only a half second difference between the X and the S. The X is faster than anything else you have ever driven. I've had mine to the drags and it is a blast. I'm an old drag racer from the 60's and have never driven anything nearly as fast. Mine is "only" a P90 (no L) but the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds flat at 112 mph is better than I ever did in the old days, including the big block Vettes..

Its true I agree with you. The handling and overall drive and floor distance makes the S a sportier car is what I was try to say, still I take my X over a S anytime as I believe overall its just alot better.

I think we're going to hold off and see what happens. The SC has been fixing all of the issues but since it's snowing here now I'm just worried the doors will stop working when it's in the negatives and I have kids in the car...

Maybe it'll just work, though if there is a huge discount on a nice P90D... Maybe I'll switch to the S or upgrade the X...

We have both and while I used to take the S whenever I had the kids, I've migrated to the X. Mostly that has to do with the FWDs being mostly in order at this point. Still annoying when there's something overhead or when it freaks out a neighboring vehicle, but otherwise mostly I'm accustomed to them.

My feeling is that I'll upgrade the X sooner than I expected. I was hoping for 4 years (warranty period) but if a year and half passes, and there's an extended range X, I'll probably bite. The good news is that I'd get another X!

Reactions: ModelX
We have both and while I used to take the S whenever I had the kids, I've migrated to the X. Mostly that has to do with the FWDs being mostly in order at this point. Still annoying when there's something overhead or when it freaks out a neighboring vehicle, but otherwise mostly I'm accustomed to them.

My feeling is that I'll upgrade the X sooner than I expected. I was hoping for 4 years (warranty period) but if a year and half passes, and there's an extended range X, I'll probably bite. The good news is that I'd get another X!

Truth, issues get resolved quickly and they tend to do better, but it makes me wonder if the mechanical parts still have a certain life to them currently and Tesla is working to extend it. I think they're working this out before adding it to the S.

100D would be great, but the P ones are also very tempting, despite not having the newest tech.