Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious to see whether any CT reservation holder is switching to a Rivian after seeing the initial reviews. I have to say that the Rivian looks really really good, though becomes quite expensive if opting for the max pack. I'm probably stick with the CT anyway, but I'm interested in getting others' impressions.

That being said, if I weren't a CT day 2 reservation holder, I'd probably order the Rivian. At least with the Rivian, it looks like one has a decent shot at getting it by the end of 2022 if ordering now. I'm guessing that CT current new orders won't be fulfilled for at least another 2 years.
Great specs but I just can’t understand or accept the front design 😬🤷🏻‍♂️

it's not even just that... but functionality wise I see the CT in its current version well behind the Rivian and the F150 Lightning. Rivian offers innovative stuff like extendable bed; tunnel storage behind cabin for dirty items whereas the F150 Lightning has a huge flat (!) loading frunk and high voltage output / powering your home. Those are real features someone might actually use. Not sold on the "bullet proof" stainless steel doors and the yoke.

You can tell it took Rivian years of testing and fine-tuning to bring out the R1T and the F150 Lightning builds on decades of experience in the field.
Oh the CT is a fantastic work truck for anyone doing work. Forget loading stuff from the side, have you ever been beside a full sized f350, you can't reach over the side really. The CT won't dent. Come look at my truck or my neighbors. Anyone that puts animal feed or bricks or chainsaws in a truck will appreciate the CT. Dent proof. BRILLIANT. Rivian and Lightening look like trucks but they look like suburban cowboy trucks - they will sell well. They look pretty. F'ing useless to me. But i like the tailgate, that's neat. I expect the CT to have power output when it finally gets released, that's too obvious a need and I don't think Tesla can let Ford do them the one up like that.

Reactions: outdoors
Oh the CT is a fantastic work truck for anyone doing work. Forget loading stuff from the side, have you ever been beside a full sized f350, you can't reach over the side really. The CT won't dent. Come look at my truck or my neighbors. Anyone that puts animal feed or bricks or chainsaws in a truck will appreciate the CT. Dent proof. BRILLIANT. Rivian and Lightening look like trucks but they look like suburban cowboy trucks - they will sell well. They look pretty. F'ing useless to me. But i like the tailgate, that's neat. I expect the CT to have power output when it finally gets released, that's too obvious a need and I don't think Tesla can let Ford do them the one up like that.
the F150 Lightning pretty much includes all the usability of the gasoline F150 which is *THE* work truck and fleet truck for blue collar workers and companies.
Calling the F150 lineup f'ing usless and for suburban cowboys only shows complete ignorance of the truck market and the best selling truck for decades.

A hard working truck users doesn't care about a dent here and there one bit and a lined bed won't dent to begin with. a Buddy has rocks/gravel dumped into his F350 and no dents. obviously using a spray in bedliner as most truck users who work with the truck have.

Also have to point out that not only has the F150 been the #1 selling truck in America for most of the last 30 years it has been the #1 selling car…. Very far from useless. I think Tesla is going to have a very hard time competing directly with a f150.

I put in a reservation for the CT day1, own a model S and 3. My current truck is a built out LX570. I use it off road fairly hard and to tow a ~6800 lb camper 15-20k miles a summer. I also have a reservation on a Rivian max pack

My concerns with the CT that would make me not purchase one: first off the goofy roof line, unless there is some way to put aftermarket roof rails (not the crappy Tesla ones like for the 3) so I can mount my RTT, carry our canoe, put dip nets up there it will be a no deal. Next concern, rims, if I can’t fit at largest a 18” (17” would be optimal) it will be a deal breaker, rims >18” have no place on any vehicle especially a truck. Next up air suspension, air suspensions suck off road and in cold weather. No one has been able to get one to perform well. The cross linked hydraulic (like on my LX and oshkosh) is a far superior system. Unless Tesla really comes up with something unique. Next up, door handles. If it really has some banana belt out open doors without handles will be bad for Alaska. I’ve broken 2 door handles on the S from ice damage. Sometimes it is very difficult to pull my doors open from being frozen shut. Next storage, don’t know much here yet on the CT but Rivian nailed it here, gear tunnel, under rear seat,….

When I saw the Rivian in person almost canceled my CT reservation, they did so many things correct. But Rivian also has air suspension and can’t fit <20” rim. Getting less and less likely that a Rivian will be my first EV truck.

Now if Ford does a EV f150 Raptor I would consider one.

nah ... because the CT looks absolutely ridiculous and way too much Mad Max or 1980s Sci-Fi. It looks like what someone in Silicon Valley - with little travel to other states and outside their bubble - is imagining truck buyers need or want.
Couldn't help but notice the crowd at the unveiling who went on the cybertruck rides all looked kinda like...
iu