Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the F150 Lightning pretty much includes all the usability of the gasoline F150 which is *THE* work truck and fleet truck for blue collar workers and companies.
Calling the F150 lineup f'ing usless and for suburban cowboys only shows complete ignorance of the truck market and the best selling truck for decades.

A hard working truck users doesn't care about a dent here and there one bit and a lined bed won't dent to begin with. a Buddy has rocks/gravel dumped into his F350 and no dents. obviously using a spray in bedliner as most truck users who work with the truck have.
I use trucks all day, its what i drive- every day, 35k miles a year- pushing 400k miles on my f350. I own a farm and a forest management business. I think I know what truck users want and I agree that for many people the lightening will be fine but no I don't see that f150 as hardened for commercial work purposes. But this may shock you ...most f150 buyers are not tradesmen. They are suburban harry the homeowners and they pay crazy money for expensive trucks. I am used to real work trucks. Tool box, external fuel tanks, dump beds, gooseneck hitch, no tailgates. If you buddy has a f350 than he has a diesel and that bed is austere, Dump 1 load of #3 or even 57 in the lightening bed and you'll likely destroy a power connection, it's ribbed not flat so you can't clean it up easily. I don't like it. I think it is great for the suburban cowboy and f'ing useless for me and I wish it wasn't. They will sell everyone they make. I'm a fan of the lightening. For an f350 owner it is not a replacement.

Will the price increase apply to people who already had reservations, or do they have their prices locked in?
All indications that I've seen from various reservation holders on other platforms (22K FB group; twitter; etc) sure show there is no locked in price.
I do NOT think there is an actual "reservation" tho. UPDATE: They apparently were called 'preorders' based on the graphics I'm seeing.
w3Ix9xy.jpg

Last edited:
it's not even just that... but functionality wise I see the CT in its current version well behind the Rivian and the F150 Lightning. Rivian offers innovative stuff like extendable bed; tunnel storage behind cabin for dirty items whereas the F150 Lightning has a huge flat (!) loading frunk and high voltage output / powering your home. Those are real features someone might actually use. Not sold on the "bullet proof" stainless steel doors and the yoke.

You can tell it took Rivian years of testing and fine-tuning to bring out the R1T and the F150 Lightning builds on decades of experience in the field.
Does anyone know whether those vehicles with high voltage outputs have a similar get out clause in their warranties like Tesla, so that you can’t actually use it?

lol yea. Demand just dropped like an anchor. It's kind of silly on Rivian's part. You just knew it was priced too low.
do you *really* think Tesla won't hike the prices for the CT either? Seems like the going price for a capable truck with 300+ miles range is $70k+. Tesla won't sell you a CT with 300+ miles EPA for $49k or $59k or maybe even $69k...

I use trucks all day, its what i drive- every day, 35k miles a year- pushing 400k miles on my f350. I own a farm and a forest management business. I think I know what truck users want and I agree that for many people the lightening will be fine but no I don't see that f150 as hardened for commercial work purposes. But this may shock you ...most f150 buyers are not tradesmen. They are suburban harry the homeowners and they pay crazy money for expensive trucks. I am used to real work trucks. Tool box, external fuel tanks, dump beds, gooseneck hitch, no tailgates. If you buddy has a f350 than he has a diesel and that bed is austere, Dump 1 load of #3 or even 57 in the lightening bed and you'll likely destroy a power connection, it's ribbed not flat so you can't clean it up easily. I don't like it. I think it is great for the suburban cowboy and f'ing useless for me and I wish it wasn't. They will sell everyone they make. I'm a fan of the lightening. For an f350 owner it is not a replacement.
never said anything else... if you tow - especially gooseneck hitch - and dump rocks/ gravel in it all day... you definitely need a F350.
for the average contractor hauling plywood and power tools and buckets of sand or whatever... the F150 is *plenty*. but so would a Ford transit van.

Reactions: scottf200
I've been seriously considering hedging my bets on the CT with an R1T, but even with the recent pricing fiasco...the charging is what most stops me. I just can't believe that their max charge rate is so slow. It really makes it almost a complete non-starter for anyone even slightly considering needing to live with it as anything other than a pure city vehicle in my opinion.

I've been seriously considering hedging my bets on the CT with an R1T, but even with the recent pricing fiasco...the charging is what most stops me. I just can't believe that their max charge rate is so slow. It really makes it almost a complete non-starter for anyone even slightly considering needing to live with it as anything other than a pure city vehicle in my opinion.
Tesla has changed their charger rate over time.

Rivian indicates they will too. Car and Driver said 300kW at some point: CnD article
Feb 2, 2022 - Launch Edition models are equipped with a 128.9-kWh lithium-ion battery pack. The pickup recharged from 10 to 90 percent in 72 minutes at an average rate of 97.5 kW. Rivian claims the peak charging rate of its vehicles will increase to 300 kW at some point in the future.

Reactions: KJD
Quite a few post like this on the FB 22K member group.

iPUPaPk.jpg
from $73 to $85 is a +16% increase. while i don't want to discount the disappointment - this is a low double digit increase and if $85k is above your financial means.... $73k surely was as well.

I dont expect the Cybetruck to go up by just +16% versus what was initially shown at unveiling.

buckle up - capable EV trucks won't be as affordable as a mid size EV sedan or compact EV SUV

Reactions: tren01t and Zer0t
The only issue for me is pre-ordered a tri-motor at 69k, that config may not exist final the truck. What will the quad motor cost? I doubt it will be 69k and following the pricing progression initially used 79k is probably more apt a starting point. However, we still don't any final pricing at this point but I find it hard to believe that Tesla will sell a 500mi capable quad-motor for 79k. If they do I'll be over joyed and happy to purchase mine.

JAN 20, 2009 3:50 PM
Tesla Raises Prices To 'Guarantee Viability'
Tesla Motors has effectively raised the price of its all-electric Roadster by at least $6,700, a move the Silicon Valley firm says is needed to ensure its survival. The price hike affects 400 people who placed deposits on 2008 Roadsters and are still awaiting delivery.

JAN 20, 2009 3:50 PM
Tesla Raises Prices To 'Guarantee Viability'
Tesla Motors has effectively raised the price of its all-electric Roadster by at least $6,700, a move the Silicon Valley firm says is needed to ensure its survival. The price hike affects 400 people who placed deposits on 2008 Roadsters and are still awaiting delivery.
Interesting...but in the evolution of the electric vehicle market...a lifetime ago. The Rivian saga has shown that the market has matured and is extremely price sensitive. Tesla took all of the ‘I must have an EV no matter the cost’ and now makes its money from family sedans and SUVs. The stock market looked at Rivian and decided that the small truck market is totally separate and that early adopters will pay anything....evidenced by its market capitalization. I guess that isn’t the whole truth

Reactions: chinney
Interesting...but in the evolution of the electric vehicle market...a lifetime ago. The Rivian saga has shown that the market has matured and is extremely price sensitive. Tesla took all of the ‘I must have an EV no matter the cost’ and now makes its money from family sedans and SUVs. The stock market looked at Rivian and decided that the small truck market is totally separate and that early adopters will pay anything....evidenced by its market capitalization. I guess that isn’t the whole truth
or that Rivian is pricing their product on-par with Ford and Chevy EV trucks and Tesla will likely do the same...

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
Agreed. EVs are no longer just experimental toys for rich folks as they were in the Tesla Roadster era. People are now buying them as *somewhat* ordinary vehicles and as such they expect them to i) be available in a somewhat reasonable timeline and ii) be at least somewhat reasonably priced.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Scaringe said the company didn't manage the communications well, nor did it provide enough insight into what was driving business decisions.

Effective immediately, Scaringe said anyone with a Rivian pre-rder as of March 1 will get the original configured price honored. Anyone that canceled their preorder on or after March 1 that would like to reinstate it will have their order restored with the original configuration for the original pricing and delivery time. Emails will be sent to preorder customers in the coming days.

The updated pricing will apply to any and all orders placed after March 1's price and powertrain change announcement.

Only did this to stop tanking stock.
Still dropping. I wonder what percentage will come back after canceling order? I didn’t cancel order as I wanted to see it through. Alas, now for those who have a preorder are guaranteed to make a profit if they were to sell their off the production line truck.

Model Y increased price 7-8k last year and those with earlier order can make out ahead even if they drove them 1-2 years before reselling as to buy a new one is more expensive. This is unlike pre-Covid times where the values for that model year drop considerably with discounts to get stuff off the lots. Keeps used vehicle prices stable.