Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if I had $70k to spend... I'd buy the Rivian in a heartbeat. The size is the winner here... I'm sure the F-150 Lightning Platinum trim for $70k is *nice* (Ford truck interiors at Platinum and KR level compete favorably with nice luxury sedans) ... but it is a very large truck. About a foot too long and several inches too wide... makes garage parking challenging in any double garage.

Reactions: scaesare
When you try to take a Tesla in for service, that’s when you realize maybe Fords dealership network is way better.
There is so little service needed on an electric vehicle that a service department is almost unnecessary. Sure, I had to take my Tesla 115 miles to my closest service center, but in a dozen years of ownership of four Teslas, I've only been to the service department a couple times, and that was mainly with my first one. Seems they have most of the bugs worked out, as my last two have not needed anything, and now Tesla has opened a new Service Center only 40 miles from here, where they did some warranty work on my S once. Never had the 3 in.

If a car has a lot of problems it would seem that a wide service network would be good, and I'm guessing Ford needs their bigger network. They've never been all that good, as the saying goes, Fix Or Repair Daily. Ford was the reason we have a Model 3, as they wouldn't let Tesla use the name "Model E" so Teslas would line up as Models S, E, X, and Y. Pretty petty of them, in my opinion, but I've never owned a Ford, and won't.

Reactions: rhumbliner
There is so little service needed on an electric vehicle that a service department is almost unnecessary. Sure, I had to take my Tesla 115 miles to my closest service center, but in a dozen years of ownership of four Teslas, I've only been to the service department a couple times, and that was mainly with my first one. Seems they have most of the bugs worked out, as my last two have not needed anything, and now Tesla has opened a new Service Center only 40 miles from here, where they did some warranty work on my S once. Never had the 3 in.

If a car has a lot of problems it would seem that a wide service network would be good, and I'm guessing Ford needs their bigger network. They've never been all that good, as the saying goes, Fix Or Repair Daily. Ford was the reason we have a Model 3, as they wouldn't let Tesla use the name "Model E" so Teslas would line up as Models S, E, X, and Y. Pretty petty of them, in my opinion, but I've never owned a Ford, and won't.
you have a point ... *if* your Tesla has no issues or minor issues being addressed by the mobile service network ... then it's a great experience

the moment something larger breaks and it's service center time - the experience is vastly inferior to most OEMs:

- uber credit and no loaners for most
- no human to talk to, all done over app
- wait times for fixes and "waiting for parts"

Tesla’s require less service. That’s true. Of course when you need service and can’t get it be I see Tesla’s service system sucks, that’s when you know your screwed.

Tesla’s require less service. That’s true. Of course when you need service and can’t get it be I see Tesla’s service system sucks, that’s when you know your screwed.
My experience has always been positive with Tesla service, but I certainly acknowledge that the human communication that was present 4 years ago is no longer there. It'll be interesting to see how Rivian will deliver service, which I assume won't be that great for early adopters as they try to scale up.

My experience has always been positive with Tesla service, but I certainly acknowledge that the human communication that was present 4 years ago is no longer there. It'll be interesting to see how Rivian will deliver service, which I assume won't be that great for early adopters as they try to scale up.
I think your right, new Rivian owners are going to face the same thing.

it's the lack of consistency too... well before Covid in 2019 my windshield got a crack. Was replaced *the same day* and super easy experience. A friend of mine had a cracked windshield a month later and it took 4 weeks to get that part (...). Ford might not fix that windshield the same day - but they also don't struggle 4 weeks to order a new windshield...

ironically as they scale up service they also have only very few trucks on the road and service will likely be stellar... think of Tesla in 2013-2017 when it was only Model S/X and everyone was treated like royalty with loaners. That changed quickly once streets got flooded with Model 3s but the Service Center network wasn't scaled up at the same pace...

you have a point ... *if* your Tesla has no issues or minor issues being addressed by the mobile service network ... then it's a great experience
the moment something larger breaks and it's service center time - the experience is vastly inferior to most OEMs
MTBF matters.
I'd rather service a Tesla, with all the hassle, once every few years - rather than have to take my Fords in every couple months.

MTBF matters.
I'd rather service a Tesla, with all the hassle, once every few years - rather than have to take my Fords in every couple months.
unless you are talking oil changes every 6 months... the average Ford truck experience isn't equal to taking it in for repairs "every couple of months". There's a reason they dominate the truck segment for decades...

Such has been my experience, on average, over 5 Fords and 2 Toyotas. Am looking forward to "built to million-mile specs with very few moving parts" for good reason. Pardon me if I fail to give a complete stranger exact details spanning decades.

The Tesla service center is 5 km from my house. I can come back jogging.

The last time I went to a Ford dealership for repairs, it was the worst experience ever. They changed 2 other parts which were not even the problem. Finished with a $3000 invoice that should have been a $500 fix in an indépendant garage.

There is no Rivian service where I live and no charging yet for road trips.

so the rational decision will be the Cybertruck of course

Reactions: 907XCP