Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well they both are limited actually. So once the car or adapter hits a current max, you see power increase with SoC increase since voltage is rising with SoC. People in non-Teslas see this at DCFCs.

See this Leaf chart:
Charge-curve-by-Fastned-Nissan-Leaf.png
Yea, you're right. I rethought that and was going to edit my post. Either limit will cause this.

Would prefer a CCS adapter, would be much less cumbersome, if that should ever come out. I know in Europe, Model 3’s use that standard.
In Europe, AFAIK, Model 3 in Europe has a different inlet than US models as well. US Model S, X and 3 have Tesla's proprietary North American inlet.

From Supercharging
Can all Tesla owners use the Supercharger network in Europe?
Yes, the Supercharger network is available to all Model S, Model X and Model 3 owners. All V2 Supercharger sites in Europe have dual cable posts to enable charging for both Combined Charging System Combo 2 (CCS Combo 2) and DC Type 2 connectors. European Model 3 models are directly compatible with CCS Combo 2 connectors. European Model S and Model X are directly compatible with DC Type 2 connectors and can access CCS Combo 2 connectors with the use of a CCS Combo 2 adapter. Please note, European Model 3s are not compatible with DC Type 2 connectors.
In the US, the flavor of CCS we have is Combo1 aka SAE Combo (upper portion is J1772). In Europe, CCS there is Combo2 (upper portion is Mennekes Type 2 since they don't use J1772 there). See EV DC Fast Charging standards – CHAdeMO, CCS, SAE Combo, Tesla Supercharger, etc under "DC Fast charging standards – CHAdeMO, CCS, Supercharger, China" for a visual aid.

CHAdeMO's a world standard w/no variation in connectors depending on what part of the world you're in.

Last edited:
Hi,
So does a CHAdeMO adaptor originally purchased for MS also work for a M3? Does the adaptor need to be updated or does it work for the M3 as is?
My adapter is very early. I bought it the first day Tesla offered it for Model S, although I don’t remember exactly when that was. I decided to keep it after switching to my P3D assuming that they’d enable CHAdeMO when Japan sales began. After ten months here it is. Mine works perfectly. It was updated once in 2016 IIRC.
This station BTW, is where I charged my Model S until mid-2015 when I finally obtained charging in my condo parking space. The other half-dozen Tesla’s in my building had no problems once I had blazed the trail, and the newer ones benefitted from the new Florida law.

823477D2-E598-4A75-85BC-AEE8D353728F.jpeg

Hi,
So does a CHAdeMO adaptor originally purchased for MS also work for a M3? Does the adaptor need to be updated or does it work for the M3 as is?

Mine was purchased about 4 years ago for use with my Model S. It's firmware was updated once about 2 years ago by a Mobile Tech. It works fine with my Model 3 now.

I don't know if it needs to be updated or not but if it doesn't work then I would suggest asking the Service Center or Mobile Tech to update it.

Mike

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo and jbcarioca
So the adaptor needs to go to the service center or can it be updated remotely?
The adaptor will be updated by a briefcase-sized device, assuming it continues to be the same one as was used for my last update in 2016. It could easily be done with a mobile service vehicle or in a service center. I'm guessing that not all service centers have one. The correct procedure is to schedule service stating you wish to have upped for you CHAdeMO adapter and give the serial number. Not all of them will necessarily need an update. When you do get an update it typically will take less than ten minutes to complete the update, based on past practice. Of course the past might not be a good guide...

Reactions: Ulmo and NOLA_Mike
Tried our old S/X CHAdeMO on our Model 3 today. It worked fine for 2 minutes, then crashed out. Same after a restart, too -- a few minutes at 44kW or so only. Not sure if the problem is the car, the adaptor, or the charger. Will try another CHAdeMO soon to see if that solves it...

Reactions: Ulmo
Happy for the existing owners, but I can't imagine many new buyers will bite given the price and 50kW limitation.
It makes sense if you have places you prefer or need to go that already have Chademo but not sufficient Tesla SuperCharger. For instance, in Watsonville, the Chademo might be cheaper than the Tesla SuperCharger, and is definitely in a much safer parking lot with more places you can safely shop, and the SuperCharger is only an urban speed one, so takes almost as long as the Chademo. In other places, only Chademo is available on your preferred route, like in Salinas if you don't want to go to the North end of 101, and you can stay to the SouthWest for a bit, also a Nob Hill.

Back before the expansions of SuperChargers, I often used Chademo because it was the only thing available on my routes. That has mostly been replaced by many new SuperChargers now, and I doubt I would use Chademo much, however, I would still get the adapter since I like new long distance routes and the likelihood I'd need it is high enough.

The prices went up for Chademo sessions, though, so you have to look into that. (I was a monthly subscriber to EVgo at the time, but they got rid of that much better rate plan.)

Oh you are right; there is 1 car listed that is 3 (Not S or X) listed of there. Well that's progress as only S,X had it when I checked day before yesterday.

Also in other questions... Do you connect the CHAdeMO adapter to the car first or the charging cabinet first?
Try both.

It can be quite troublesome.

If you ever get stuck with low battery in the freezing cold in the middle of the night and can't get it to work, here is my considered advice: keep trying, using various different combinations, trying not to repeat the same combination, at least 50 times.

Yes, I'm serious. It's happened to me. The key problem I had with CHAdeMO is not trying enough. There's times that it worked on the 25th try and I needed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: darth_vad3r
Many 50kW CHAdeMO stations are limited to 120A output, hence with a nominal 350V battery, they charge in the low 40’s at low SOC and ramp up to near 50kW at higher SOC. The CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 125A and thus a higher power station will let it charge at the full 125A vs 120A. In reality this difference is not very significant though; it will still take a long time to charge.

Bingo! That is exactly correct, and is consistent with everything I knew back when I had my CHAdeMO adapter.

I often got 32kW at lower states of charge, and could never get more than about 52kW, with my CHAdeMO adapter. It depended on the charger, too. This is the opposite of SuperChargers where lower states of charge are faster. This is due to the 125Amp bottleneck.

A few more notes: Tesla used to have a SuperCharge counter that it used to limit your battery after a certain # of SuperCharges, but they said that the counter was a DC counter, so even all those 23kW and 32kW CHAdeMO charges counted toward the total.

The stations don’t have a “power” limit in kW that is standalone, they have two underlying limits, a voltage limit (Volts) and a current limit (Amps). Power (kW) = Volts x Amps.

Almost but not quite. They have all three limits. The power (kW) limit is often an aggregate limit in the station from the utility, utility connection, utility cost structure, utility transformer, utility supply, or utility market rate dynamics. Add in there occasional possibilities like power being added in by batteries and solar panels that gets counted for that site, and power can be a limiting factor in addition to volts and amps. So, all three can limit. But, it is true that usually the power limit is not in the direct AC-DC converter charger you are plugged in to, but as a load balancing limit imposed on the site from the external factors I described. It can be experienced in a number of ways.

Those three limits are in ADDITION to whatever limits your car battery BMS has: pack too cold, too hot, too much chemistry stress, ramping, DC charge counter limiting, etc. Since the Tesla CHAdeMO 125Amp limit is so limiting, you almost never run into those car battery BMS slowdown issues with the 125 Amp CHAdeMO adapter, but those limitations are also still there nevertheless.

Last edited:
First demo I've seen with it working!
FINALLY! JULY 15, 2019! What a wait! (Typical Tesla.)

Anyway, watch that video. He obviously has extensive experience with CHAdeMO, since he said everything precisely correct. He must have used it with a Model X or S in the past frequently. What you will learn from him will give you a lot of the real true experience of CHAdeMO, including that initial try with the ones that didn't work.

Great pics guys. I have a question about them ...

View attachment 433870View attachment 433874 View attachment 433867
View attachment 433870 View attachment 433874 View attachment 433867

Is it just me or do these pics make the CHAdeMO plug from the station orient "upside down"... I'm wondering if there is a half-twist induced in the Tesla adapter cable forced because of gravity? or is the adapter actually oriented "upside down" so that the handle side would naturally want to face up to the sky if you plug the Tesla end into the car?
Anything that works would be the best way to do it. Sometimes that's dictated by how you chose or choose to park. CHAdeMO allows you to park pulling in or backing in, and often you have a choice of up to 6 parking spots that can reach it depending on the direction you park. Sometimes you would need to park in a certain angle or put the plug under or over the car for a distance. (That's dictated by cord length, obviously, as well as politeness in picking spots.)

Since letting the CHAdeMO adapter hang obviously wears out the adapter and the Tesla car charging socket, I advise people to put a stand underneath the hanging adapter, such as a cardboard box. I used to keep one in my trunk next to my CHAdeMO adapter just for this reason. I'd recycle it and get a new one every few months since they would inevitably collect dirt from the ground. Of course, in a pinch, this isn't totally necessary, but it just seems to make sense to me. What I would do when I didn't have the cardboard box is kind of push the station plug up a bit using the friction of the cord dragging on the ground to hold it a little upward, putting less pressure on the adapter and car socket. You can push it up about an inch and a half and the rubber will hold it up a bit. Of course, if it slides back down, it will yank hard on everything, making the situation worse than carefully dangling it to begin with, so I preferred to push it up only half an inch or so as a result. Maybe that's OCD, but I've seen lots of socket failures on other electronics.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbcarioca