Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As awkward as the Tesla photo seems, I think people should try to aim for that use pattern to avoid the twisting.
You generally just can't, though. Sure, that looks wonderful in Tesla's photo, but it's nearly impossible to get it to do that in real life. (Probably had someone just off camera holding it like that) It really would have been better if Tesla had built it with that half twist. The CHAdeMO handles are built to plug straight forward into a car, right? So the cable from the handle turns to a down angle, like a 90 degree bend. Now with the Tesla adapter in the Tesla car, the weight of the adapter makes it hang downward already (90 degree bend). So then if a CHAdeMO cable is plugging upward into that adapter that same way, it has another 90 degree bend continuing around the same circle, so the cable would be going through the rim of your wheel! The cable obviously is coming from exactly the opposite direction, from outside of your car, so it has to do a U-turn somehow, and about the only way it can do that is to twist the cable to make the double 90 degree bend into a straight path.

Reactions: Ulmo and GHammer
It really would have been better if Tesla had built it with that half twist.

Ya, that’s why I was wondering if they’d maybe done that since the one photo (silver 3, not the red 3s) looked like it had it perfectly oriented with a 180 degrees twisted.

Seems they didn’t though. So given that, users should strive for the awkward arrangement if they can manage to keep it stable (hire someone to stand off camera? LOL, use the ground to stabilize the cable?) if they want to reduce twisting wear and tear on their fairly expensive adapter.

Which revision of the adapter do you have? I tested on one of these stations and repeatedly got Error 22. Adapter works fine with other CHAdeMO stations.

I’m not sure how to tell, other than it ends in 10-D for the TPN field.

Attachments

• 1792E2CC-D2AE-484C-926F-F9C55F6D6336.jpeg
    1792E2CC-D2AE-484C-926F-F9C55F6D6336.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 72
BENCHMARK PLAN

CHAdeMO_010.jpg

I'll make three loops doing: SuperCharger, Electrify America, and EVgo. I'll leave Huntsville with a 15% SOC (36 mi) reserve and drive to Chattanooga, to normalize the SR+M3. There I will charge enough to have a 15% reserve (36 mi) to the same charger network in Nashville. Finally I'll charge to reach the free, CHAdeMO/CCS charger in Huntsville before heading home.

The goals:
  1. Cost of each SuperCharger, CHAdeMO via Electrify America, and CHAdeMO via EVgo.
  2. Charging profile at each network, the charge as a function of time recorded using "Time Lapse"
There is an Athens AL SuperCharger but it isn't clear we gain anything as I've already got a Nashville-to-Athens benchmark and a full SuperCharger record. However, there has been a suggestion that since my last video recording of a full charge, the SuperCharger profile may have changed. I will monitor and decide on the way back if another, full charge session is needed.

INITIAL TESTING

I borrowed a CHAdeMO adapter and went to the local, free CCS-1/CHAdeMO charging station to make sure everything works:
CHAdeMO_020.jpg

Past experience with my BMW i3-REx revealed we never get more than 100A from this unit. So the actual kW is driven by the battery battery voltage until the taper begins to reduce the current.

My first test, dangled the adapter and cable but it shutdown in a few minutes:
CHAdeMO_030.jpg

I suspect the tension on the adapter-cable or the heavy torque on the Tesla port cause a momentary, electrical problem triggering the abort.

Initial charging rate is consistent with the SOC of the Tesla:
CHAdeMO_040.jpg

After the abort, I draped the CHAdeMO adapter and cable over the back of the car and there were no more interruptions:
CHAdeMO_050.jpg

It looks like a strap from inside the car out the rear glass could hold the adapter and cable up to offload the mechanical stress on the connectors. I'll do some experiments.

To protect the paint, a blanket or throw rug might keep the cable from direct contact with the car:
CHAdeMO_060.jpg

However, I could try parking on the wrong side of the street so the cable does not stretch across the car.

As the charge tapered down, the voltage was higher but the current significantly smaller, about half the initial value:
CHAdeMO_070.jpg

Bob Wilson

Reactions: Ulmo
BENCHMARK PLAN

I'll make three loops doing: SuperCharger, Electrify America, and EVgo. I'll leave Huntsville with a 15% SOC (36 mi) reserve and drive to Chattanooga, to normalize the SR+M3. There I will charge enough to have a 15% reserve (36 mi) to the same charger network in Nashville. Finally I'll charge to reach the free, CHAdeMO/CCS charger in Huntsville before heading home.

The goals:
  1. Cost of each SuperCharger, CHAdeMO via Electrify America, and CHAdeMO via EVgo.
  2. Charging profile at each network, the charge as a function of time recorded using "Time Lapse"
There is an Athens AL SuperCharger but it isn't clear we gain anything as I've already got a Nashville-to-Athens benchmark and a full SuperCharger record. However, there has been a suggestion that since my last video recording of a full charge, the SuperCharger profile may have changed. I will monitor and decide on the way back if another, full charge session is needed....

Might be interesting to enter your trip into A Better Routeplanner. Then see how its estimated times, consumption, etc compare to your actuals. You can set ABRP to use CHAdeMOs instead of, or even in addition to, Superchargers.

Did a quick test at a local Walmart near me while I shopped. it worked at an EVgo station. but I noticed it works backwards, it started at 40kW then every few minutes went up and topped out at 46kW.

Other issue is that the charging station is reading is off by 2% ahead, I'd assume the car would cut connection when fill anyways.

My theory is since they are charging customers per minute they can maximize their profits starting off slowly and ramping up around 10min mark.

Attachments

• 20190726_111200.jpg
    20190726_111200.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20190726_112154.jpg
    20190726_112154.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190726_110352.jpg
    20190726_110352.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 47
My theory is since they are charging customers per minute they can maximize their profits starting off slowly and ramping up around 10min mark.
No there is a technical reason. The adapter is current limited so when the battery starts to "fill up" the voltage goes up while the current remains steady at it's constant limit hence the total kW goes up untill the battery taper is reached and then current drops below the limit and the charge progresses as if it were connected to a supercharger.

It has nothing to do with profits. :) It's because the station is limited to 120 amps at whatever your pack voltage is. So charging may start lower, and gradually rise as the pack voltage rises during the charge.

40 kW / 14% - voltage around 333V and 120A.
42 kW / 26% - voltage around 350V and 120A.
44 kW / 41% - voltage around 367V and 120A

This phenomenon is related to the station being primarily current limited. You can only draw a maximum of 120A on most stations (some equipment may be limited to 100A). Of course as the battery reaches full charge, current will reduce as part of the taper.

No there is a technical reason. The adapter is current limited so when the battery starts to "fill up" the voltage goes up while the current remains steady at it's constant limit hence the total kW goes up untill the battery taper is reached and then current drops below the limit and the charge progresses as if it were connected to a supercharger.

Precisely this.

Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
It's the Tesla adapter that's limited. If the station limit is below the adapter limit you wont see this behavior.

Well they both are limited actually. So once the car or adapter hits a current max, you see power increase with SoC increase since voltage is rising with SoC. People in non-Teslas see this at DCFCs.

See this Leaf chart:
Charge-curve-by-Fastned-Nissan-Leaf.png

Last edited: