Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone thinking about running 21 inch model s rims on the model x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may want to visit this site and check out the tire circumference of the various options you suggest. Tire Size Calculator
Your mileage and speed may be off depending on what aftermarket size wheel/tire set you choose.

I ran the four front wheel/tire sizes that you mentioned, for ease of comparison.

wheelSizeDifference.jpg
model s

Front: 245/35-21
Rear: 265/35-21

I was thinking maybe go with 255 40 21
275 40 21 instead

model x
The 22" tires are 265/35R22 front and 285/35R22 rear. Rim widths are 9" front and 10" rear.
The 20" tires are 265/45R20 front and 275/45R20 rear. Rim widths are 9" front and 9.5" rear.

So, I have been told two different, but interesting things. First is that you can enter your new tire size into the screen and it will adjust as needed. Second is that instead of entering it in, the car will automatically recognize a new tire size. The first came from my DS and the latter from a tesla sales guy. Does anyone know if either is true?

tesla service techs strongly recommend against installing the 21s. why? the circumference difference is too big (5.6%) over 20" oem. i bought a set for the x but may need to either install them on the s or sell.

245/35/21- Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires from the S
265/45/20 - Conti all weather on the X

@rayng,
I have the first from my S and the second are on my X. If you have similar and specs from Mikejr are correct, the circumfrence is actually smaller on the 21s. Maybe I am reading the specs wrong?
Not an expert in tires so help me understand why you said the circumfrence is 5.6% greater on the 21s?