Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone VBOX a P3D on 19.8.3 yet? man it feels faster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell a difference from dead start, and even at higher speeds. Granted maybe this is just placebo but when i first got my P3D each 'launch' was impressive. After 7 months, its kind of settled into normal. But this morning, I could feel it in my neck when I stepped on the accelerator. Also my SoC was 86% this morning, im wondering if its just more punch off the line.

Ive seen a video claiming LR AWD down to 4.1s 0-60

Personally can't tell a difference w/ regen, seemed ok prior to me but have a friend that felt regen had gotten weaker after 15.5

Reactions: is2scooby
I did a pre power bump test on a LR RWD, the car was in line with what Tesla says, but slower than all the internet claims
* didn't notice you were RWD, my bad
The video i saw was by pure tesla, was a LR AWD and he didn't know what he was prior to speed bump so he was saying at 4.1 it is an 8% improvement or its a 4% if its really 4.3 like some say.

Last edited:
What were you times, i notice you have a P3D - (non PUP). I have the same
Again, this is pre-update, at about 90% state of charge, battery warmed up, ~72°F ambient temp, 18" Aero wheels with stock MXM4 tires:
0-60 with 1' rollout: 3.21 seconds
0-60 without rollout: 3.39 seconds
60-80: 2.03 seconds

I posted the 0-60 screenshots on Twitter: Alex Venz on Twitter

I got the update last night and played with it this morning. It did feel like I was moving faster after punching it and the car generally felt more eager. But that being said, I didn't feel the blood rush or slight nausea that I typically feel, so it's really hard to say. Could be placebo like OP mentioned.

Didn't notice anything for regen.

Best improvement is that the cars around you are no longer dancing around and are a lot smoother as they/you pass them. UI also drew in 4 lanes to my right as I was driving in the HOV lane.

I can tell a difference from dead start, and even at higher speeds. Granted maybe this is just placebo but when i first got my P3D each 'launch' was impressive. After 7 months, its kind of settled into normal. But this morning, I could feel it in my neck when I stepped on the accelerator. Also my SoC was 86% this morning, im wondering if its just more punch off the line.

Ive seen a video claiming LR AWD down to 4.1s 0-60

Personally can't tell a difference w/ regen, seemed ok prior to me but have a friend that felt regen had gotten weaker after 15.5

This is probably the LR AWD video you're referencing (it's helpful to link to this stuff)

And if you look in the comments he mentions that he was using an inaccurate method with his GoPro to measure speed and his 0-60 speed is actually about 4.35 seconds, so really not much (if any) improvement there.

Especially in light of his comments that his car felt "shockingly" faster after getting the 5% power increase.

Pfffffffftttttttt.

Reactions: Zoomit
This is probably the LR AWD video you're referencing (it's helpful to link to this stuff)

And if you look in the comments he mentions that he was using an inaccurate method with his GoPro to measure speed and his 0-60 speed is actually about 4.35 seconds, so really not much (if any) improvement there.

Especially in light of his comments that his car felt "shockingly" faster after getting the 5% power increase.

Pfffffffftttttttt.
Yeah agree'd his method is as accurate as it get's with video, considering it's high framerate. However VBOX or other methods are simply more accurate and provide much more data.

People use their phones to do testing. Phone's internal GPS simply aren't accurate enough to tell you the difference between 4.1 or 4.2 sec. You need dedicated equipment to handle it. Also one thing I hate about electric car is how much SOC can have a huge difference in how a car behaves, almost more than weather. It's not really reasonable to expect a drag race where your car is at or near 100%.

There is also rollout too, people use it to get their times lower.

I tested the LR RWD with a little over 70% charge, pre power bump, the times came in between 5.18-5.30 over 5 runs. It is slower than a Model X 75D.

I've always wondered about this in terms of the energy dots beneath PRND. Will the Model 3 ALWAYS show dots when it's reducing power? Or could power still be reduced regardless of whether or not a dot is shown?
The dot in the regenerating side means the battery is too cold. Dots on the power side means the battery is too hot to give maximum power.

Also, 0-60 power is the same regardless of SOC. It’s only effected in higher speeds so I’m told. I may be wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: robski
The dot in the regenerating side means the battery is too cold. Dots on the power side means the battery is too hot to give maximum power.

Also, 0-60 power is the same regardless of SOC. It’s only effected in higher speeds so I’m told. I may be wrong.

Whoever told you is wrong.

There is a guy on the s forum that has all the power data, you will see how much power you have at 20% vs 80%. On the s/x, it is nearly half a sec. it might be true if the 3 is completely different