Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with success getting a problem fixed pre-PTO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hypothetically, let's say there was some... system testing and something seemed to not be working. Continuing this hypothetical scenario, lets say that during peak times the production chart looked a bit like this:
Screenshot_20210608-153720_Tesla.jpg

And when logged into the inverter you kept seeing it cycle from on and charging to this:
Screenshot_20210610-145143_Chrome.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do now? Support told me that the system is to remain off until PTO- which didn't really answer my question.

I would press them harder. This is their standard response. Ask them to explain how PTO has anything to do with a overheating error. What version of software is you powerwalls and inverters running? Overheating Tesla Inverters seam to be a problem that is popping up a lot, so if they dont start troubleshooting now, you might wait a while after PTO for it to be fixed.

Upvote 0
In this hypothetical situation (lol), I agree with @bigblackroof. You are allowed to test the operation of the system, which is what you did, and found that information. I would call back and say "I was just testing functionality, which I am allowed to do, and saw these errors. PTO will not change these errors, so I would like this addressed. When can someone come back out and check it?

Reactions: BGbreeder
Upvote 0
I would press them harder. This is their standard response. Ask them to explain how PTO has anything to do with a overheating error. What version of software is you powerwalls and inverters running? Overheating Tesla Inverters seam to be a problem that is popping up a lot, so if they dont start troubleshooting now, you might wait a while after PTO for it to be fixed.
agree as well .. this is Tesla's standard "leave us alone for now" response . it is same excuse they gave me for a less critical issue which I had to continually push them to fix for over a month post PTO

Upvote 0
What version of software is you powerwalls and inverters running?

Well technically isn't PTO just to connect solar to grid? Once inspection passes no reason you cannot operate off grid. Just tell then that and that it is not functioning.
About that... Inspection failed due to missing labels. Inspector didn't specify what specificly was missed in the note. The guy from Tesla couldn't figure out what was missing so he tossed a bunch of extra stuff in hopes he got whatever the offending miss was. Maybe my complaints will go further after the county is appeased with the stickers.

Upvote 0
Normally, it is considered fair to ask what exactly the deficiencies are in a failed inspection, but I know that some inspectors are touching than others...

FWIW: My permitted plans included a list of all the labels and their intended locations. If your are as detailed that might help clear up what the inspector was trying to comply to.

All the best,

BG

Upvote 0
Normally, it is considered fair to ask what exactly the deficiencies are in a failed inspection, but I know that some inspectors are touching than others...

FWIW: My permitted plans included a list of all the labels and their intended locations. If your are as detailed that might help clear up what the inspector was trying to comply to.

All the best,

BG
with my first solar install, the installers seemed to have no idea what labels where needed. Took months to resolve, which only happened when I was able to grab the inspector at a house by me, ask exactly what was needed, and he called the installer and said its been in the book for years!

The second company had a person who clearly was trained in what was needed. He had a whole box of labels. He even told me of one the other installer put on that was wrong and gave me one to replace it with.

So if one fails for labels, it might be they need some training? It was not that hard.

Upvote 0
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do now? Support told me that the system is to remain off until PTO- which didn't really answer my question.
Do you have the phone number for your project manager? (not the project advisor). The person that came on the job to coordinate and make sure everything was done according to specs.

I had an issue with my solar roof and my PM (who unfortunately changed to a new position) was able to resolve it for me pre PTO.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem, been talking to handful of others w same. Installed 4/22/21, PTO 6/3/21. Called most of May prePTO, they wouldn’t touch it. Of course after PTO, “next service date available is 6/29”. So frustrating. They said it’s overheating. Losing all these sunny days, making 1/3 of what I’m supposed to making.

Upvote 0
The labels go all over, as you probably know. You must have a a whole herd from your various solar and battery projects.

I have Enphase microinverters, so the labels are panels, sub-panels, and disconnects. My favorites are the scale maps of all of the devices. For some reason, I always expect to see a little "You are here" arrow on the maps. :)

Of course, most of these are in full sun, and I wonder how long the labels will be readable, but that's not an immediate issue.

All the best,

BG

Upvote 0
I took up the strategy of being super annoying... calling every couple days, emailing into the black hole, web chatting incessantly....

Most gave me the line that the app would not be accurate until after PTO- and that if the system is on I needed to immediately turn it off :rolleyes:. Eventually (~6/30) I got someone who went a bit further. They said they queued up a software update and if it is a software problem it would hopefully be resolved. I did get the update overnight it did a couple things:
-I lost the 'view system vitals' button... is there a way to get back there?
-Production appears to have dropped significantly, went from mid 30s to low 20s of daily production with similar apparent sun.
-I lose production before noon now, usually at 10-11am for 15 minutes, then future production seems to cap around 4.75kwh for the rest of the day, but I don't overheat and go up and down like before.

Around 7/5 I started receiving emails that my system needs maintenance and I need to make an appointment. I attempted to make an appointment with repair scheduling, but after 45 minutes on hold I was informed that because I'm pre-PTO I need to talk to install scheduling... I was super mad, but install scheduling picked up right away. Got an appointment for 7/27- the first they had available.

Got a new round of maintenance needed messages Wednesday, Thursday, Friday of this week, and later recived a text that they scheduled a new appointment for 7/24 at 11am... I confirmed the appointment and recived back a message that it was changed to 7/24 at 2pm... Confirmed that one as well. They no-showed yesterday and the office was closed so no one to talk to about it.

Hopefully we can sort things out tomorrow or they show up Tuesday...

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
My system was installed in late June and passed inspection within 2 business days. Shortly after, I called the customer support number and selected the Powerwall option and asked them what their stance is on customer’s running the system pre-PTO. I specifically mentioned that I wanted to charge my Powerwalls up as Hurricane Elsa was heading towards us and my system was around 40% charged since my install day. I was told by the agent I spoke with that it should be fine to run the system off-grid before getting PTO from my utility company. I had already did some testing and learned my PV side of the system wasn’t working at all, no solar production after several 30+ minute attempts. I told the agent and they checked what they could but had to open a ticket for someone from the solar team to check my system. Since the next day my system has been working fine. I’ve been using it for weeks, and I make sure to turn it off around the time I start exporting excess solar to the grid.

I’ve seen spoke with 3 different advisors about other issues, and had an onsite installation audit from Tesla’s QA department. Nobody has seemed to care that I’m using the system pre-PTO. Of course, my utility company may feel differently. I guess I’ll find that out eventually once my application for PTO is submitted.

Upvote 0
I took up the strategy of being super annoying... calling every couple days, emailing into the black hole, web chatting incessantly....

Most gave me the line that the app would not be accurate until after PTO- and that if the system is on I needed to immediately turn it off :rolleyes:. Eventually (~6/30) I got someone who went a bit further. They said they queued up a software update and if it is a software problem it would hopefully be resolved. I did get the update overnight it did a couple things:
-I lost the 'view system vitals' button... is there a way to get back there?
-Production appears to have dropped significantly, went from mid 30s to low 20s of daily production with similar apparent sun.
-I lose production before noon now, usually at 10-11am for 15 minutes, then future production seems to cap around 4.75kwh for the rest of the day, but I don't overheat and go up and down like before.

Around 7/5 I started receiving emails that my system needs maintenance and I need to make an appointment. I attempted to make an appointment with repair scheduling, but after 45 minutes on hold I was informed that because I'm pre-PTO I need to talk to install scheduling... I was super mad, but install scheduling picked up right away. Got an appointment for 7/27- the first they had available.

Got a new round of maintenance needed messages Wednesday, Thursday, Friday of this week, and later recived a text that they scheduled a new appointment for 7/24 at 11am... I confirmed the appointment and recived back a message that it was changed to 7/24 at 2pm... Confirmed that one as well. They no-showed yesterday and the office was closed so no one to talk to about it.

Hopefully we can sort things out tomorrow or they show up Tuesday...

I'm still waiting for that billboard...

Upvote 0