Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 on submitted orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find that hard to believe. The software for the two chips is entirely different, and I don't think they would fragment their AP development by trying to support different sets of hardware.

I am not sure if they will eventually upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0 for free or at a discounted price for us, but I am pretty sure if you order full autonomy now then you will need to pay for the difference ($8000 - whatever you paid for AP). I am also debating whether I should stick with the original AP features and hope that they will offer me the 2.0 feature for free in Dec, but by then I will have to pay $1k extra for full autonomy feature after delivery. My feeling is they will make you pay the difference at the end.

I ordered a MX60D and got a call from DS today and he clearly stated that we will only get autopilot 1.0 with the original purchase. We will need to make up the price difference for either enhanced autopilot or full self-driving.

I got the exact same call on the MS order , saying I need to pay $2K delta to get the new AP 2.0 - doesnt make sense that they can just downgrade. Its just going to cost them more to maintain all these different software/hardware versions combination. I requested to hold off the decision and asked for time for the noise to settle down. I suggest not to pay anything now until the dust settles. @Tony8489 thanks for the update if this is true - that is awesome news. Would help if others confirm too.

I got the exact same call on the MS order , saying I need to pay $2K delta to get the new AP 2.0 - doesnt make sense that they can just downgrade. Its just going to cost them more to maintain all these different software/hardware versions combination.
It depends on what they define as AP1.0 features with AP2.0 hardware. If it's "Only use 1 camera, and run the AP algorithms on that single feed" that would be a significant maintenance burden (basically they have to mantain two AP1.0 code bases - one for MobileEye hardware, and one for Tesla Vision hardware). But if instead it means "you get only only the features of AP1.0, but they may perform better than if you only had AP1.0 hardware", it would be doable. This would mean that autosteer is better, but it won't change lanes on its own, or take off ramps based on navigation, etc. (the latter, which was originally announced as a feature of 8.1, I suspect will require Enhanced AutoPilot).

i placed an order a few days before the announcement. my DM basically said the same thing:
  • i will get AP1 functionality on AP2 hardware
  • i can upgrade to EAP for $2k before delivery or $3k after delivery
  • i can upgrade to full self-driving capability for $5k before delivery or $6k after delivery
i'm going to let the dust settle and decide right before delivery in december.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I can also confirm the DS I spoke to confirmed they would require the difference for enhanced. They would of course waive the change fee.

I do believe in Dec when the software works it will mirror AP 1.0 features. At some future date, cars that paid for enhanced will get new features.

It would be nice to get a freebie, but I'm sure I would not have paid the $5,000 for AP, so I'm glad I got the order in pre AP 2.0 announcement. AP 1.0 is more than I really need. If I have to pay $7,500 later for full autonomy it will be worth it. I'll risk my $2,000 savings by not ordering it now.

Last edited:
i placed an order a few days before the announcement. my DM basically said the same thing:
  • i will get AP1 functionality on AP2 hardware
  • i can upgrade to EAP for $2k before delivery or $3k after delivery
  • i can upgrade to full self-driving capability for $5k before delivery or $6k after delivery
i'm going to let the dust settle and decide right before delivery in december.
Exactly as I was told on my order that confirms tomorrow midnight.

i'm getting conflicting messages from different people at tesla regarding when i need to decide on AP1 to EAP upgrade.

DM says "Since we will need to make the necessary adjustments to your configuration prior to the vehicle entering production, we will need to finalize if you want to add the upgraded Auto-Pilot no later than November 7th, as at that time your Model X will be locked in our production queue."

owner advisor says "It's a full software that needs to be installed on your car. We give everyone a 7 day window from ordering to change the configuration on their car. If you want to add it later that is fine but it is a $3,000 upgrade."

It would be nice to get a freebie, but I'm sure I would not have paid the $5,000 for AP, so I'm glad I got the order in pre AP 2.0 announcement. AP 1.0 is more than I really need. If I have to pay $7,500 later for full autonomy it will be worth it. I'll risk my $2,000 savings by not ordering it now.

I was planning on doing the same. Honestly they are going to use us as the guinea pigs to collect test data. The idea was even if AP2.0 and self driving is not enabled the car is always going to be in "shadow mode". i.e log what the sensors and computer would have done if it was completely autonomous. Now to collect that data from some cars with lesser hardware capability doesn't really make sense to me. My bet is tesla will realize this and will give us free upgrade. Its not worth their while to manage such a short window of transition orders.

I booked a MX in July this year but was waiting for AP 2.0 and had scheduled my delivery for Feb14th,2017 , since the enhanced aoutpilot announcement last night ,I wanted to get my MX asap with new upgrade hardware so I went to Indianapolis sales office today and I was told by the manager that I have to pay $5500.00 more to get enhanced auto pilot and self driving capability and even showed me the company circular saying this and it said they are waiving a $500 fee for making changes to the original order. He also told me that if I decide not to pay the difference the car is still going to come with the upgraded hardware but I will not be able to use any more features than AP 1.0 so I decided to wait and see which way the camel lays.

• Informative
Why did my order change to "AP Hardware 1 with Convenience Features"? My car isn't delivering until next year and I only get AP hardware generation 1??? Shouldn't it be hardware generation 2? Or maybe it just means I haven't opted yet for the Enhanced Autopilot?

Common practise with custom built things, isn't it?
I appreciate the fact that we do have the option to save a few bucks if you want to. However Tesla is now far from being a custom shop. The are rapidly approaching mass market status - again a very good thing for our planet. I honestly don't mind paying the premium just for the cause of human advancement and the dream of a sustainable future for the planet.

Why did my order change to "AP Hardware 1 with Convenience Features"? My car isn't delivering until next year and I only get AP hardware generation 1??? Shouldn't it be hardware generation 2? Or maybe it just means I haven't opted yet for the Enhanced Autopilot?

That is the point your order hasn't changed. You did order "AP hardware 1 with Convenience Features". They updated the descriptions to accurately reflect that. What they haven't done is update the orders to show that they aren't making AP hardware 1 cars anymore. I'm sure that will happen soon, but they will probably try to upsell you on one of the full AP hardware 2 packages first. If you don't bite you will get "AP hardware 2 with AP 1.0 Convenience Features" and you will likely be able to upgrade to Enhanced AP at a later date for a bunch more money.

I was told an email will go out soon encouraging those of us with cars in the queue and AP Convenience Package to upgrade to Enhanced AP for $2000. And additional $3k will get you the Autonomous Driving feature. No car that has not rolled off the assembly line should have "only" AP1 hardware.