Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Activated on all CPO cars???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure this has been answered before but I can't find the answer. Can anyone confirm that every and I mean every CPO car that has autopilot hardware has the software activated?? Some of the listings state the autopilot features and some just say it has autopilot. Has anyone bought a CPO Model S in the last 6 months that had autopilot activated? Did you have to ask or beg or was it just done automatically?? I can't get a straight answer out of Tesla since they laid off half their staff. The attached screenshots are from two different 2014 Model S cars on the CPO sire. Thanks

Auto2.jpg

Auto1.jpg

It’s not very clear but if I had to guess:

1st screenshot: the car is priced with AP features enabled

2nd screenshot: AP software is not enabled but can be (for a fee)?

Both cars have AP (cannot ascertain if AP1, 2 or 2.5)

At least that’s how I interpret it..def could be wrong.

Thank you guys for the answers but this is what I get from everyone I ask (including Tesla). One person says yes you get autopilot activated if you have the hardware and another will say no unless it says it has the features you get it. Does anyone know 100% that every CPO Tesla comes with autopilot activated?

Reactions: Willjou
...yes you get autopilot activated if you have the hardware...

Hardware is included since October 2014 but activation requires additional money.

The above statement does not deal with how much is the activation cost. You can interpret it as free but it doesn't say free.

...every CPO Tesla comes with autopilot activated?

Every single Tesla produced since October 2014 comes with autopilot hardware. That's a fact. For no additional fee. All included.

Activated Autopilot is another issue. Not all used Tesla (CPO) are acitvated because it costs more to do so. Some previous owners did not pay for it. Tesla typically does not upgrade whatever previous owners did not pay such as from 60 kWh battery upgraded to 75 kWh battery. If previous owner did not pay for a feature, you can ask Tesla to let you pay for the activation.

Here we go again two more post and both sound convincing. No, autopilot is not activated and yes, autopilot is activated on every CPO car. Which one is it guys??? I understand about the hardware (no questions there) I just want to know about the AP activation for a CPO car bought from Tesla? Is it activated on all cars that have the hardware regardless of how is originally purchased? Thanks.

...Here we go again...

My answer is based on the description of each used car that Tesla sells.

It might be true that all autopilot hardware have been activated with autopilot functions, included, with no additional fee.

However, to be safe, just read what you buy please:

This one below does not have Autopilot included.

gcFfeXv.jpg

This one below does have Autopilot included for no additional fee.

9Fj4iuS.jpg

Autopilot hardware comes with all 2015 and newer cars. Some late 2014 cars have it as well. That I understand. What I want to be crystal clear on before I put a $2,500 non-refundable deposit down is the autopilot software activated on these cars?? Some list the autopilot features in the description some do not, that is where the confusion is for me.

Very few cars on Tesla's site show this info regarding the Autopilot features:
Auto2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you but again it is not the hardware I am worried about. That is very easy to figure out even on a 2014 model. I want to know if the software has been activated on the car so I don't have to spend more money down the road to get AP. Several people have mentioned that all CPO cars that have the AP hardware get the software activation for free as a perk. I want to know if this is still true as it is not documented anywhere and Tesla is notorious for changing things.

...not documented anywhere..

It doesn't matter what people say. One salesperson can be laid off tomorrow and there go all the assurances.

What counts is documentation.

First of all, the Tesla used website is very clear as in post#10 .

If it mentions "Autopilot with convenience feature," then it is there with no additional fee.

Then, all other documentation must be consistent with that also.

When you get "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement Vehicle Configuration", it should list "Autopilot with convenience feature" too!

As in post#10, you should avoid listings with the absence of "Autopilot" under the "Feature Options".

If it is absent, other documentation will consistently make sure it's absent and your "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement Vehicle Configuration" will have the absence of "Autopilot" too.

When something is absent and you demand to list it on a document, it will cost you money.

My answer is based on the description of each used car that Tesla sells.

It might be true that all autopilot hardware have been activated with autopilot functions, included, with no additional fee.

However, to be safe, just read what you buy please:

This one below does not have Autopilot included.

gcFfeXv.jpg

This one below does have Autopilot included for no additional fee.

9Fj4iuS.jpg

I don’t really know if it is always activated or not, it was my understanding that it was, but I’m far from an expert. During my search I couldn’t find a single example of a P85D or a P90D that didn’t have it included. Your posted comparison isn’t likely applicable though, a P85 work AP hardware is incredibly rare.

Thank you Tam. I guess the main thing is to get it in writing. I guess I just wish it was more clear on their website and their reps knew what the hell they were selling.

It might be true that all used car autopilot hardware now have activation included. What I mean to say is: You should be able to see them reflected in the documentation whether it's true or not.

Would you please send me a confusing link?

For example this link:

85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1H11EFP64764 | Tesla

Its first summary page says:

Featured Options
  • Autopilot with convenience features
Then its detailed page is consistent with the summary and says:

Features

85 kWh Battery
Rear Wheel Drive
265 miles range (EPA)
5.4 seconds 0-60 mph
Grey Metallic Paint
Black Leather Seats
19" Silver Cyclone Wheels
All Glass Panoramic Roof
Piano Black Décor
Black Headliner
Autopilot with convenience features
Free Supercharging
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Smart Air Suspension
Keyless Entry
Power Liftgate
GPS Enabled Homelink
Tech Package with Autopilot

And it will also list "Autopilot" when you get other documents including "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement Vehicle Configuration" form.

This is not a confusing ad because when it says 85 kWh, it's 85, not 40, not 60. "Grey" you'll get "grey". It says 19", you'll get 19"...

I see that you might think it is a trick because some Autopilot would include an expanded list of what Autopilot features are and some don't.

Whether they include the detailed list of features or not, "Autopilot" is certainly included in the price for both groups.

I see you got a point for confusion.

But at least, all different kinds of Autopilot/Enhanced Autopilot/new Autopilot would have at least 2 features in common:

1) TACC (smart cruise)
2) Autosteer within a lane

Some as you pointed out has an additional feature:
3) Self parking.

If it is not listed, then assume it is absent and you should expect to have only 2 features, not all 3. If 3 is not listed but you got it, then it's a nice surprise, not a disappointment.

I don’t really know if it is always activated or not, it was my understanding that it was, but I’m far from an expert. During my search I couldn’t find a single example of a P85D or a P90D that didn’t have it included. Your posted comparison isn’t likely applicable though, a P85 work AP hardware is incredibly rare.

Yes, the P85 is my first used choice but you are right to find one with AP is almost impossible.