Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP made a mistake then saved us a couple times from accident - Stupid Porsche road rage driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday the AP braked unnecessarily because of a car in the left lane and the car behind me got mad. He started to harass me by really really tailgating and then came in front of me and braked. The AP did brake perfectly 2-3 times to avoid collision. It was insane that he was also driving an expensive Porsche SUV and did this. I wish I had front camera up and running and recording this incident. I'd file a report against him. He endangered the lives of me an my family.

Reactions: PrGrPa
My guess is he didn't know you didn't try to brake check him and thus...

Yes but why would I do that while driving in constant speed on the highway? He might not know about AP braking but he should have known it's not intentional. Also this was in the right lane close to the exit ramp. Anyway without auto braking there would be an expensive crash.

Unfortunately, with AutoPilot you have to be ready to hit the brake or the accelerator at any time. It requires constant monitoring. Anytime that I feel the car braking in a way that a fellow human driver would not expect or appreciate I immediately hit the accelerator a little to override the behavior and then let AutoPilot resume. From reading the reports on "self driving cars", it seems the most common cause of fender benders are the very safe rules built into the self driving logic. Humans expect a certain type of behavior from their fellow drivers and if they don't get it, it could mean a hit in the rear or elsewhere.

Despite what Elon may lead you to believe, there is still a decade or so of work to be done as far as self driving is concerned. The regulators have yet to agree to a set of standards to make coexistence with human drivers work well or agree to isolate the automated cars (at least in some scenarios on the road). I purchased the FSD package so I can stay up to date with the latest features as much as possible with my current Tesla. But, I never anticipated that the FSD will be able to safely drive itself while I turn my attention elsewhere. At least during the entire time I own my current Tesla.

Yeah, the Porsche driver was an a$*. But, we also have the burden of responsibility of playing well with others. Of course, we know a ton of Tesla drivers will never be responsible enough to take that responsibility on. The unwillingness to take on that responsibility of actively monitoring a car is why Waymo and some others skipped Level 2 + 3 (and Level 4) and just focused on Level 5.

So now that you know what can happen using ap in traffic, keep your foot in ready position in front of the accelerator and be ready to press it or be prepared for the same event happening again.

The same thing happens when someone changes into your lane with not enough room in front of your car. As soon as you see the turn signal (if they are courteous to even use it) be ready to hit the gas or else.

Personally as soon as I saw him go in front of you I would have turned off ap and given plenty of space knowing his next move. Would have saved some unnecessary braking.

Dude shouldn’t have reacted that way, but AP does brake check people a lot. It’s the biggest thing I dislike about it. It esp. does it when someone up a head makes a left turn even though there’s no chance in heck we’re going to hit them. (Probably a result of the semi crash that killed that guy). Getting brake checked is annoying and AP is guilty of it.

So “brake checking” is when you hit your brakes and someone following too closely has to use their brakes?

And some of you think that gives someone the right to pass, pull over in front of you and repeatedly hit the brakes risking collision?

That’s just nuts.

Reactions: JohnnyG and croman
So “brake checking” is when you hit your brakes and someone following too closely has to use their brakes?

And some of you think that gives someone the right to pass, pull over in front of you and repeatedly hit the brakes risking collision?

That’s just nuts.

Sounds like NASCAR mentality. I agree with you though. I have no idea why people tailgate because it's just going to further infuriate the tailgater; never mind the fact it endangers the safety of themselves, the car/driver they are mad at, the cluster of cars around them, and all the folks behind them who will have to tap their brakes in response.

I use to get mad at drivers who broke my momentum, but I matured and grew to understand that people make mistakes and getting mad really isn't productive or good for our mental health. Sometimes you have let it slide.

"Why spend the next 20 years in jail cause someone smudged your Pumas." -Chris Rock

Reactions: croman and PrGrPa
So now that you know what can happen using ap in traffic, keep your foot in ready position in front of the accelerator and be ready to press it or be prepared for the same event happening again.

The same thing happens when someone changes into your lane with not enough room in front of your car. As soon as you see the turn signal (if they are courteous to even use it) be ready to hit the gas or else.

Personally as soon as I saw him go in front of you I would have turned off ap and given plenty of space knowing his next move. Would have saved some unnecessary braking.

On your latter comment, that’s exactly when I’d want AP on. I usually have distance set at 4 and have had AP react faster and more appropriately to sudden pulling in and/or braking of the car, or cars, in front than I can.

I thought brake checking was when a driver wants to signal to a tailgater that they need to back off?

The driver applies the brake sufficiently to light the brake lights without changing the speed of their car. Perhaps by pressing the brake pedal with their left foot while retaining control.

It can turn a dangerous situation into an even riskier one.

As we cannot know what is in the mind of anyone else remotely, ascribing intent is a waste of time. We just have to deal empirically with the situation.

Here it sounds like the OP’s AP performed like machines do and another driver reacted by trying to emulate the machine’s behaviour. They overtook the OP and dabbed their brakes at a short distance. Potentially disastrous.

Just wait until someday, 6 months maybe, when FSD starts appearing and see the reactions to that.