Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1/MCU1 and Software V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far out of this thread I tend to agree with Sorka on this one. I have a 2.5 car and really enjoy V9 better than V8 and since I get something out of V9 am willing to put up with a few issues. In Sorka's defense he get's nothing out of V9 but the issues and should be allowed to stay on V8 unless Tesla is able to confirm a safety issue. In the soon to be future Tesla will have to stop pushing UI updates to MCU1 cars and this will start a whole new issue. Apple struggles with this with each IOS because so many people hold on to their devices for longer than they were intended. It will be interesting to see what Tesla does in 5 years with all the MCU1 cars I can only imagen how the FW will be parsed out.

As an Systems Engineer in me, i have to say at some point you need to stop FW updates to please not only the customers, but more or so TESLA. The bare minimals should be covered with older cars. Security, support the app, etc. Not fart noises, and other crap nobody cares about. This is so their engineering teams can worry about the future roadmap and also End of life products. We get it, a car is a car and people hold on to them longer, but if Hardware spec is from 10 years ago, what do you think all those features 10 years later is going to need? more power. Don't give me that crap about well nvidia tegra can do this, and do that... its pure BS. Its a SPEC, its a ' LIKE TO HAVE ' requirement that i write every day.

Reactions: kavyboy and N..8
Reposting, for constructive criticism. A couple saying they like Version 9 doesn't say much, unless they identify why. The order of the versions doesn't really matter. What matters is what each of us objectively thinks.

Remember, V9:
-broke browser
-eliminated an energy display
-brought many touch controls to the bottom
-forced full time maps
-ditched app flipping, top/bottom

It is okay to say things "suck", if they suck. All I'd do if my UI improved, is stay in my car. I don't think that is what Tesla is aiming for.

Since the above, and actually right now at a SC, I've been in our Version 9 car a couple times. So, adding:
-Slow boot times, even after driving minutes earlier. V9 car needs its extra ~15 seconds.
-Low contrast. Instead of making more use of black, multiple greys make it such that you can't turn the screen down as you can in version 8.

It's a lot easier to be objective, and even impartial, if you have each a V8 and V9 car to compare (both MCU1). I'm curious how people weigh favoring version 9. Some seem more interested in hurling insults.

Reactions: Minecon_CA
Personally, I get along with all of the UI changes. I think it is because of what is important to me personally, just like everyone else. I like having navigation dominating the screen. Maybe I'm more lost mentally than most, maybe I don't have a commute and go different routes to different places all the time.

I'd like the ability to choose what is on my screen, and for it to stay that way until I change it. I have media off more than I have it on, yet it keeps taking up half my screen. But I know to others music=life so that doesn't bother them. Not a big deal to keep closing it.

I have my mirrors properly adjusted, so I never felt the need to have the backup camera on all the time. I tried it and it was somehow disorienting to my little brain. I think this is a major thing to some owners -- I know that if they had made the full screen show the backup camera and I had to keep pulling up navigation all the time to view it, I'd be complaining like crazy.

They just made the changes into directions that either work better for me or don't really affect me. I get used to the changes in appearance and functionality.

My pet peeve is adjusting the air suspension height. It should be easy. It should be voice controlled. It should be adjustable from a steering wheel scroll wheel. Did they do those things? No, they buried the adjustment an extra menu level deeper.:mad:

Anyway, my point on the UI is that Tesla does not need to decide what is important to the driver. Let the driver set the screen up how they want it and leave it that way.

How about they take a breather on the games and let us but in multiple stinkin' waypoints in the Navigation and calculate the battery! It's damn near 2020 already.
Agreed 100%. This has to one of the most useful features they could add for the least amount of work. Since the existing navigation can include multiple supercharger stops for long trips, the code and the display UI is already there. Waypoints has been one of the most requested features for as long as I've been in the Tesla community. The fact that it hasn't been added after all these years seems like obstinance at best, spite at worst.

If this in-car theater thing is supposed to run on wifi, are they going to install free wifi at all the superchargers? Or even nominal-fee wifi at the superchargers? Because that's the only place where I would ever use netflix or youtube, etc. in my car. Apologies if I missed this in the articles or forum posts.

Reactions: Pluto
So still no reports on anyone with early access V10 with S/X? I want to see what we get and what we don’t get. Also want to see MCU1 S vs MCU2 S. Will be big surprise if MCU1 gets theatre but someone mentioned Tegra 3 supporting video codecs in its specs so here’s to hoping...

Reactions: DaveBC and Dutchie
Do you mean it takes 15 extra seconds before you can start driving, when you get in your car?

Longer boot times, around the time of V9, were reported as people being away from the car and then witnessing a delay between stepping on the brake pedal (which will typically bring up PRNDS on the main dash) and when they can drive by shifting into D. The screen identifying the selected gear doesn't come up, nor does shifting produce any result during this delay.

Some speculated that V9 Navigation stores every destination you program into it, and if you don't delete them your MCU goes through the motions of mapping each route from your current location to the ones programed. I kind of bought into this, since Version 9 NAV is fast (faster?) at planning routes to common destinations, once you are already going. The V8 car does not have NAV, to compare. Anyway, deleting a couple hundred stored destinations, as recommended, didn't (entirely?) solve the issue with boot times. I can re-park the car in the driveway, climb back in and have to wait for it to sort itself out. Better than 9 times out of 10, I can step into the V8 car, step on the brake and select a gear w/in 2 seconds.

Tesla coming with something, like a game instead of fixing the problems they've introduced, has become a long standing problem. It isn't something that broke, and needs to be fixed. It's things they broke, and won't fix. The sooner they recognize how this has rubbed a few (more than a few?) Model S/X customers, the better off they will be.

Longer boot times, around the time of V9, were reported as people being away from the car and then witnessing a delay between stepping on the brake pedal (which will typically bring up PRNDS on the main dash) and when they can drive by shifting into D. The screen identifying the selected gear doesn't come up, nor does shifting produce any result during this delay.

I have a 2016 P90D with AP1/MCU1 and have not experienced this issue with V9. Very rarely my car goes into a "deep sleep" and it takes time to wake up, but I haven't seen that for months. Other than that, I find as fast as I can get in the car and push the brake pedal, it's ready to shift into D or P.

Do you have mobile access turned on? I'm not doubting the problem exists, but I suspect it may be related to a specific combination of settings and use cases that are rare enough where Tesla has decided it's not worth the focus of their engineering time.

Energy Saving mode will have things go to sleep, resulting in that delay by design. I have not found v9 to be any worse about this than v8 was. It's worth the occasional delay to me to avoid the vampire drain. At the same time I get that having to make that choice is an annoying compromise. If the boot time were worse than it used to be it would get on my nerves.

Has V10 for AP1 and MCU1 been seen yet? I know AP2 and MCU1 has arrived.
It has not. We probably won't see it until the wide release in a couple weeks. From what I gleaned so far looking at what the other MCU1 folks are getting, we can really only expect Spotify (the USA folks have been wanting this for years), and other than that there won't be anything earth shattering. We probably won't even notice the difference between V9 and V10.

Reactions: supratachophobia