Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went ahead and loaded 2019.32.2.1 yesterday and drove about 90 miles. AP functionality was very clean, but not noticably different mostly.

I did not see an increase in MY nags, but that is pretty much that it went from zero nags to zero nags. I didn't notice a change in sensitivity. The weight of one hand and forearm on the lower quadrant of the wheel still resulted in no nags.

I did not drive much on roads with oncoming traffic, so can't comment on the reported moving away from cars in the other lane.

I did, for the very first time ever, put on my turn signal and have the car take an exit from the freeway. I don't really try this very frequently, since I know it doesn't work, so I don't know if this is new, or maybe just the configuration of the particular exit.

I still got a couple of places where it felt like the car was going to phantom brake and made me move my foot to the accelerator, but it seemed to recover.

All in all, AP worked perfectly -- enough to be boring, which I guess is what we want. The only place I noticed disengaging was to move in/out of the HOV lane, which is a single solid line separation on these roads that AP will not cross.

I am having a hard time imagining that Tesla is doing anything to update or improve AP1 software, unless something drastically wrong is discovered. Why would they? Seems to me that their efforts on AP2 would keep them so busy that they have zero incentive to wok on AP1. And frankly, I hope they leave it alone -- don't fix what ain't broken!

Reactions: Droschke and GSP
AP1 is great but I know of two situations i run into daily that can be improved (hill crest and phantom braking specific situation).
AP1 still gets (small) incremental updates like @fasteddie7 reported and it’s welcome.
Though AP1 is not produced, there are still a lot running around to make many owners proud and prouder.

I am having a hard time imagining that Tesla is doing anything to update or improve AP1 software, unless something drastically wrong is discovered. Why would they? Seems to me that their efforts on AP2 would keep them so busy that they have zero incentive to wok on AP1. And frankly, I hope they leave it alone -- don't fix what ain't broken!

I know it's anecdotal but my AP1, which has been real good, was having an issue when the HOV merged with a joining HOV on my commute home. Now it's not having the issue and is perfect the whole way now.

I wish I tested extensively but I knew I had to be ready and take control at this one spot or it would drift out of the lane for some reason. Now it's perfect and stays with the lane.

I would think that existing things like acceleration/deceleration curved might be tweaked. That kind of "config file" data might even be shared between AP1 and AP2. All guesses on my part.
Agreed - I hope they just leave it alone!

Reactions: Droschke
I have noticed more frequent issues on 2019.32.2.1. Font corruption twice, and one time stuck “navigation initializing”.

Scroll wheel reboot fixed them all but that is 3x in a week.

AP1 still heads toward the double-yellow creating many hills with no car to “follow” but seems to work better behind another car.

I have noticed more frequent issues on 2019.32.2.1. Font corruption twice, and one time stuck “navigation initializing”.

AP1 still heads toward the double-yellow creating many hills with no car to “follow” but seems to work better behind another car.
Nick, check your update tab to see if you're downloading a map update. I've heard of situations where if you don't let the map update finish on WiFi, it gets stuck in a loop causing resource contention (CPU/memory) and you get glitched fonts etc.

It's a small sample size but computer issues seem more frequent. I have had 2 corrupted display (letters missing or wrong) that a reboot fixed and then this morning when charging over night the mi/hr charge rate said 0 but the car was pulling 30a and gaining charge mileage. I didn't think much of it but when I went to reverse the lines on the backup camera didn't move when turning the steering wheel. A 2 button reboot fixed the issue but the reboot process took longer than the normal 30-40 seconds more like 2-3 minutes.

Does anyone else have their car freak out near motorcycles? One just passed me in the lane to the left of me and the sensors indicated red on the IC. However the motorcycle was in the left 1/3 of the lane the entire time. It caused AP to hug the right side of my lane.
This type of issue has happened several times before.

2105 AP1 car here. I just got 2019.32.2.2 the other day. They definitely updated the AP behavior. I used to be able to satisfy the "I'm still awake" by increase/decreasing the follow length using the AP stalk. Now when I do this the nag comes right back, immediately. Only giving pressure on the steering wheel seems to satisfy the nag.

It's a small sample size but computer issues seem more frequent. I have had 2 corrupted display (letters missing or wrong) that a reboot fixed and then this morning when charging over night the mi/hr charge rate said 0 but the car was pulling 30a and gaining charge mileage. I didn't think much of it but when I went to reverse the lines on the backup camera didn't move when turning the steering wheel. A 2 button reboot fixed the issue but the reboot process took longer than the normal 30-40 seconds more like 2-3 minutes.

I too have the numbers missing issue on the display. I need to try a reboot and see if it clears.

I am supercharging at 35kw, but the display only shows 12mph not 12Xmph. So it was 124mph and when it ticked up to 125mph the 5 showed.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190917_210253.jpg
    MVIMG_20190917_210253.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 56
Running 2032.32.2.1 on an S85D. Not noticing any particular issues with Autopilot or other vehicle functionality, although when I was reversing out of my garage this morning, the Homelink menu on the CID was basically a bunch of visual static. I had to guess at what the correct menu entry was, although the actual closing of the garage door went fine.

Bruce.

Does anyone else have their car freak out near motorcycles? One just passed me in the lane to the left of me and the sensors indicated red on the IC. However the motorcycle was in the left 1/3 of the lane the entire time. It caused AP to hug the right side of my lane.
This type of issue has happened several times before.
I think it's something about the sounds the motorcycle makes freaking out the ultrasonic senors on the car. I've seen it happen too.

Has anyone jumped into 32.2.2 yet? It’s pending on my car. I was disappointed that I never saw the moving to the right on close oncoming traffic feature like others saw in .1.
I feel with all AP1 cars, the approach to update should be a cautious one. I'd wait to see if someone with a car with similar characteristics to yours updates and confirms no issue etc. I typically drive around with the annoying update nag for a week or two.

Reactions: aerodyne