Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can confirm that the TACC nags are now very different with 32.1. It requires almost constant feedback. At 65mph, it requires feedback around every 7 seconds. If you don't provide significant movement to the steering wheel, your next alert will be a loud beeping tone and flashing red text. In the past when I was in bumper to bumper stop/go traffic, I was able to let the car manage the traffic with no wheel feedback required for quite some time (5 + minutes sometimes). Now, after about one minute, the car suddenly put it's hazards on and just shut off TACC. This may have been an anomaly/bug because I couldn't recreate it, but it nagged me about every 30 seconds in stop/go traffic.

There's definitely a difference here.

32.2.1 for a few days now, nags aren"t so bad, and I know a lot of folks say no change has been made to the codebase for mobileye hardware in a while, but something is different. in 300 miles i've either seen some pretty significant changes, or i've got one heck of a placebo effect going on. I've got 100% success so far on summoning out of a garage I couldn't before, completed some very sharp turns, moved over for oncoming traffic on non-divided highways, crested some hills successfully that would fail before, seen much better off/on ramp performance, and finally the car stops slamming on the breaks when a car would turn off of a road, then pause while trying to follow them, only to take forever to get back on course. I recorded a bunch on my long commute to work over the past few days. It sure does feel like it's acting like my AP2 car. Anyone else seeing this? or am I just imagining things?

completed some very sharp turns
I've noticed this. Sunday night I had AP set at 80 MPH, and I just let it cruise down the highway. Usually it would give up in a particular area with some sharp turns, but not that time. I haven't tested it much more beyond that.
It's been a while since someone confirmed the code hasn't changed. Maybe it's time to look into it again.

Life has been downhill since FW 7.1 - I have disabled the nags after fw 8.0 but it is sad to see what has happened over the years. We were initially promised "hands free" a/p (which we had with the initial fw release 7.0) and look how far we are from that. I will say that for my daily driving A/P works exactly as I would like it to.

@fasteddie7 I watched your video via Reddit yesterday after my car had been prompting to update for a few days. I finally updated last night in anticipation of some of the improvements you noticed. I’m most excited about the car moving over to the right of the lane for oncoming traffic on undivided highways. This is a natural movement that 99%+ of “real” drivers make. I can’t imagine that’s a placebo effect since from your video I have never seen that consistent behavior in my car.

• Helpful
Reactions: fasteddie7
Wow. @Grumble reports something that makes me not want to load the update waiting in my car, and @fasteddie7 shows a video of improvements that are impossible to resist for an AP1 owner.

Very conflicted.o_O

I'm also conflicted, but in a different way. I drove a few hundred km's yesterday on 2019.32.2.1, and while some aspects were better, maybe the crest situation, I feel some other areas were not as good as before. A little perplexed given the video quoted above. It definitely did not move away from oncoming traffic. But maybe AP1 woke up on the wrong side of the driveway that day and next day will be better.

• Funny
Reactions: rsg123
Drove around 100 miles today. 0 phantom breaking events. Moves over for oncoming traffic 90% of the time, even around curves. Seems to move when oncoming traffic is too close to the center lane. The improvement when the car in front of you is turning is incredible. I used to hate when that happened and a car was behind me since it would slow way down, and sometimes start to turn with the car before straightening out then taking forever to get going- no more of that crap! I was on 32.2.1. I'm impressed with how well it has been working. Still not perfect, but there is definitely improvement.

Can confirm noticeable improvements on AP like the curved turns, smoother braking or slowdown when someone moves to your lane on the freeway. Thanks @fasteddie7 on a great video review. On another note, what do you all think we are getting from v10 and what excites you on this upcoming major update?

Can confirm noticeable improvements on AP like the curved turns, smoother braking or slowdown when someone moves to your lane on the freeway. Thanks @fasteddie7 on a great video review. On another note, what do you all think we are getting from v10 and what excites you on this upcoming major update?
I have more dread than excitement, honestly. I think every update will bring more improvements to newer cars and little or no benefits to AP1. I also think changes to the UI will be to make the screen better for those with a different format than us (Model 3 horizontal screen). It will really get bad once they change all new cars to that format.

Everything works okay for me in the current UI. I don't anticipate any improvements for me personally, just change.

I went ahead and loaded 2019.32.2.1 yesterday and drove about 90 miles. AP functionality was very clean, but not noticably different mostly.

I did not see an increase in MY nags, but that is pretty much that it went from zero nags to zero nags. I didn't notice a change in sensitivity. The weight of one hand and forearm on the lower quadrant of the wheel still resulted in no nags.

I did not drive much on roads with oncoming traffic, so can't comment on the reported moving away from cars in the other lane.

I did, for the very first time ever, put on my turn signal and have the car take an exit from the freeway. I don't really try this very frequently, since I know it doesn't work, so I don't know if this is new, or maybe just the configuration of the particular exit.

I still got a couple of places where it felt like the car was going to phantom brake and made me move my foot to the accelerator, but it seemed to recover.

All in all, AP worked perfectly -- enough to be boring, which I guess is what we want. The only place I noticed disengaging was to move in/out of the HOV lane, which is a single solid line separation on these roads that AP will not cross.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Is 2019.32.2.1 really any different from 2019.32.1 for AP? I ask because I was prompted to connect to WiFi in order to download 32.2.1, because (the car said) it was a navigation update, which I took to be maps data. I received it yesterday. My car is parked too far from my condo for my WiFi to reach it reliably, so normally my updates come over the air. Tesla has a policy of sending new map data only by WiFi. The release notes for 32.2.1 are identical to those for 32.1, which I received about 10 days ago. So, I wonder if it actually was anything other than maps data...Would they mix other things into a release with map data? But I admit that I have not yet used AP since the 32.2.1 update was installed last night.