Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the US there isn't much CCS, yet. The most compelling reason to "update" would be to regain access to the cell phone, or remote, app. Would be great to get that back, but I am worried about what could go away. ingineer / Phil Sadow once had an app, almost a couple years ago, but I don't think he does that anymore. I'd be curious of alternatives?

Do you know how to downgrade? Or do you have a link where this is explained?

My bad for bringing this up, since the topic is explicitly "...life after 2018.50.6" and thus kind of offtopic, albeit 2019.12.1.1 technically was released afterwards... To close this and then go back to topic: In another thread is someone describing his experience with a downgrade after the CCS upgrade: Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Yes, lane changes works for me, but was indeed nerfed and only works on high ways.

Used to work also on national roads previously, but indeed thanks to EU (and suspiciously EU car manufacturers lobbies), not anymore.

For German Autobahn I also can confirm that automatic lane changes work with 2020.36.11 on my 2015 S85 AP1. Yet, the first couple of times it did not seem to work, I've even got the message: Lane change aborted due to time out" or something similar (freely translated from German and my memory). Then I've realized a bit of a difference in engaging automatic lane change than before:

- Autopilot engaged with two blue lane lines in IC.
- Checking mirrors and blind spot, engaging turn signal.
- Giving the steering wheel a nudge up or downwards and here comes the difference: release any force towards the steering wheel.
- Automatic lane change starts, disengage turn signal when >50% of lane change is done.

=> I was used to move the steering wheel into the direction of the lane change and keep the force, but apparently with 2020.36.11 I need to give a t only a short nudge and then release any force to engage, weird, but then it worked. I actually did not recall trying it on Kraftfahrtstraßen without physical barrier between directional lanes...

BR! Oaito.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
- Autopilot engaged with two blue lane lines in IC.
- Checking mirrors and blind spot, engaging turn signal.
- Giving the steering wheel a nudge up or downwards and here comes the difference: release any force towards the steering wheel.
- Automatic lane change starts, disengage turn signal when >50% of lane change is done.

=> I was used to move the steering wheel into the direction of the lane change and keep the force, but apparently with 2020.36.11 I need to give a t only a short nudge and then release any force to engage, weird, but then it worked. I actually did not recall trying it on Kraftfahrtstraßen without physical barrier between directional lanes...

BR! Oaito.

Must be a UK thing to have to nudge the steering wheel first? I don't have to do that; I don't have to touch the steering wheel at all; just hold down the turn signal halfway (no point clicking it down as you then have to unclick it up) until blue line becomes dashed, wait until car has just the left wheels over the dashed line on the road, and release turn signal, car completes lane change.

A while back (not sure which update changed this, maybe it was 9 months ago?) Half the car needed to be in the desired lane before you let go of the turn signal or it would swerve back into the lane you come from.

My bad for bringing this up, since the topic is explicitly "...life after 2018.50.6" and thus kind of offtopic, albeit 2019.12.1.1 technically was released afterwards... To close this and then go back to topic: In another thread is someone describing his experience with a downgrade after the CCS upgrade: Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

As much as I hate having lost SuC speed, I must say that I'd have second thoughts if I could revert to 2019.12.1.1...

In our case, SuC is needed twice a year (summer & winter vacations).
On any other days (350 of them roughly), I don't miss it. (*)

I would however miss the new convenience features added since summer 2019, like
- Text message
- Scheduled Departure
- New TuneIn and it's improved podcasts handling
- New Spotify and it's uninterrupted play between songs (eg Live concert)
- New media Search
- Priority Bluetooth
- New notifications of open windows, trunk...
- Third party charging stations in Nav
- Maps improvements, showing details of places
- The new voice commands

Obviously, I'd chose both keeping the added features and restoring of SuC speed if offered :rolleyes:

(*) And though I do see a longer charging time, and extended total travel time, it's partially absorbed by the time eating or shopping on our way.

Last edited:
What you see in the video is what happens when I long pull the AP lever. Instead of the detected 80 (+3) it sets 133 as new limit.

Yes, and this is so annoying!... They changed the "long pull behaviour" with an update in late 2019. It seems to use the recommended speed on german autobahn of 130 km/h instead of the detected speed limit...
I almost never used the long pull again since then. Last night I got 2020.48.30 on my 2015 AP1 S85 and will check if something has changed.

Yes, and this is so annoying!... They changed the "long pull behaviour" with an update in late 2019. It seems to use the recommended speed on german autobahn of 130 km/h instead of the detected speed limit...
I almost never used the long pull again since then. Last night I got 2020.48.30 on my 2015 AP1 S85 and will check if something has changed.
Any chance you could supercharge and check on the new charging taper?

I am on 2020.48.12.1...

88% of AP1 folks are with me, at least according to Telsafi.

I see no reason to go higher.

I have not tested SuC yet, but I believe faster SuC will never happen for the older cars. Just live with the extra 15 min to charge.

Future updates will not be about the older cars, unless they are done to reduce warranty expenses.

I am on 2020.48.12.1...

88% of AP1 folks are with me, at least according to Telsafi.

I see no reason to go higher.

I have not tested SuC yet, but I believe faster SuC will never happen for the older cars. Just live with the extra 15 min to charge.

Future updates will not be about the older cars, unless they are done to reduce warranty expenses.
The latest release has improved speeds on the 90 and 100 packs. 48.12.1 is not the new release with improved charging taper.

The latest release has improved speeds on the 90 and 100 packs. 48.12.1 is not the new release with improved charging taper.

I'd sure like to see the data...although I'd have to think about small fonts vs SuC speeds, and it may not apply to 85's

Currently, my low mile, low SuC, 85 pack is 45 min to go from 30-80%. Before 2019, was 30 minutes.

Reactions: Droschke
I'd sure like to see the data...although I'd have to think about small fonts vs SuC speeds, and it may not apply to 85's

Currently, my low mile, low SuC, 85 pack is 45 min to go from 30-80%. Before 2019, was 30 minutes.
There have been lots of posts on Twitter from folks with 75, 90 and 100 packs of improved speeds at lower soc. Seems like very few mcu1 cars have gotten the update so far.

Do we have confirmation on this? Anecdotally I've heard people reporting improved peaks, but don't have any videos or SOC curves reflecting better overall times or sustained improvements.

Last edited: