Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not too worried. Personally, I'd welcome any improvements in visual (and aural) alerts. More nags? I seldom get a nag since I generally keep my right hand on the wheel, but I can live with nags coming quicker when the car can't detect my hand on the wheel. On an AP1 I can't think of a way the car would add additional checks to engage autosteer, unless they made it absolutely mandatory that the camera / computer sees lines on both sides of the lane clearly (I wouldn't like that, since I drive frequently where there's only a center line). Maybe it won't engage anymore to track the vehicle in front when there are no lines. That's not a big deal for me either. As far as approaching traffic controls - I've read that AP1 sees stop signs and traffic lights, but cannot read them accurately enough for Autopilot to function based on them, so that probably won't be something to hit AP1 either (famous last words).

Reactions: bhzmark
Please test V1 Autopilot with 2023.44.30.4 to see if there are any new restrictions on its use. In particular, please see if you can still engage Autopilot on non-divided highways or on city streets. Does it restrict speeds at which it can be set? I'd also like to know what additional "nags" or indications have been added, if any.

(I'm an original 2015 Model S P85D owner with upgraded MCU2 + Radio Upgrade + LTE, and years ago got burned when Tesla removed hands-free Autopilot and reduced Supercharger charging rates -- so I'm hesitant to install this software recall until we understand its changes.)

Thanks!

Reactions: 2015-85
According to the nhtsa.gov site, AP1 cars won’t be receiving an update for quite some time. Go there, enter your VIN and you should see the timelines
Summary from site
"Remedy
Affected vehicles will receive an over-the-air software remedy, which is expected to begin deploying to certain affected vehicles on or shortly after December 12, 2023, with software version 2023.44.30. These include vehicles equipped with an in-cabin camera and Autopilot Hardware 3.0 or Autopilot Hardware 4.0. Remaining affected vehicles, including vehicles equipped with Autopilot Hardware 3.0 but without an in-cabin camera and vehicles equipped with Autopilot Hardware 2.5, Autopilot Hardware 2.0 or Autopilot Hardware 1.0, will receive an over-the-air software remedy at a later date. Neither the recall nor its remedy disables Autosteer or features that rely on Autosteer. As mentioned, the remedy will incorporate additional controls and alerts to those already existing on affected vehicles to further encourage the driver to adhere to their continuous driving responsibility whenever Autosteer is engaged, which includes keeping their hands on the steering wheel and paying attention to the roadway."

So this sounds like we should be safe until a future update to install 44.30.4 since it didn't have anything to address AP1 for recall yet

It make sense that this configuration would fly below the radar for a while - there are a lot less cars on the road with it and “Highway Autopilot” works better on the highway where it is expected to.

AP1 was a big plus for me when I bought my 2016 a few years ago. I hope the changes to it are minimal.