Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 Unlock Unavailable in MyTesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to some vehicle swaps, my wife is now driving my 2015 85D and has changed her tune on AP1 - now that she's the daily driver, she sees the value... Went to MyTesla to look at cost, but the unlock is nowhere to be found. Has this happened to others? Do I have to call service to unlock?

Due to some vehicle swaps, my wife is now driving my 2015 85D and has changed her tune on AP1 - now that she's the daily driver, she sees the value... Went to MyTesla to look at cost, but the unlock is nowhere to be found. Has this happened to others? Do I have to call service to unlock?
I called service again today and they were pretty oblivious. The only thing that they can say for sure is that there's going to be another AP trial starting April 1st and AP will drop in price from 5k to 4k at that time.

It's possible that they want to decrease AP1 owners down and wean the number off so they don't have to work too hard on AP1 support.

I'm doubtful of that. There's still too many of us out there, and I would bet the number of people who want to upgrade to AP1 is fairly small (an important set of people, but small).

OP, I'd say if you can't get anything by calling your service center, maybe try an executive escalation from your MyTesla page? The way I figure, if you try enough ways to get an answer, at least one of them has to pay off, right?

Bruce.

I called service again today and they were pretty oblivious. The only thing that they can say for sure is that there's going to be another AP trial starting April 1st and AP will drop in price from 5k to 4k at that time.

Where did your 4k or 5k quote come from? Im recalling a at-order cost of 2.5k for AP1, with a post-delivery cost of 3k.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Where did your 4k or 5k quote come from? Im recalling a at-order cost of 2.5k for AP1, with a post-delivery cost of 3k.
This was from the person in support that I spoke to. I have had to talk to people a few times and received different prices, but I think that's just a lack of understanding from new employees of Tesla of the differences in what's available from model year to model year.

My local SC did confirm that 3k is the current price for AP1 owners and I do not know if the upcoming trial will lower that price.

• Informative
AP1 unlock on MyTesla page has been missing for about two months now for me.

I’m going to call Tesla today and try to enable it *crossing fingers*

Update: just got off the phone with Tesla. I wasn’t able to unlock AP1. The Tesla rep suggested I make a service appt. Definitely not going to waste 1/2 day to bring my car into service just to unlock AP1

Last edited:
  • Informative
AP1 unlock on MyTesla page has been missing for about two months now for me.

I’m going to call Tesla today and try to enable it *crossing fingers*

Update: just got off the phone with Tesla. I wasn’t able to unlock AP1. The Tesla rep suggested I make a service appt. Definitely not going to waste 1/2 day to bring my car into service just to unlock AP1
I think that it will all be ironed out by April 1.

When I called into support they were literally no help and only gave incorrect information and in 2 calls and one transfer to another person they were all giving contradicting information and was essentially useless.

You have to take it into service center, should not be more than 3k for AP1. They may try to give some spiel that it costs 4 or 5k since they won't be able to find the price in their system for OG AP1 and try to charge you for current AP2 prices.

They have to enter it in manually(at least my SC did). They may try and give you some spiel on charging extra for calibration but most likely it's not necessary and I said any calibration should be included in the activation and the guy didn't say anything back and said they'd get the AP activated.

Brought the car in at 8AM and was done by 11AM for my case. Seems they just flipped the 0 to a 1, and test drove it up and down the street.

When I called into support they were literally no help and only gave incorrect information and in 2 calls and one transfer to another person they were all giving contradicting information and was essentially useless.

You have to take it into service center, should not be more than 3k for AP1. They may try to give some spiel that it costs 4 or 5k since they won't be able to find the price in their system for OG AP1 and try to charge you for current AP2 prices.

They have to enter it in manually(at least my SC did). They may try and give you some spiel on charging extra for calibration but most likely it's not necessary and I said any calibration should be included in the activation and the guy didn't say anything back and said they'd get the AP activated.

Brought the car in at 8AM and was done by 11AM for my case. Seems they just flipped the 0 to a 1, and test drove it up and down the street.
Yeah. Been down that path. The hang up there is that over the phone Tesla tells me I should only have to pay the promo price of 2k and the SC says 3k plus tax. Some people wouldn’t care about throwing away a grand, but I do.

When the lower AP purchase price was announced for anyone who bought a Tesla prior to 3/1/19, I decided to use that opportunity to order it for my AP1 2016 model S. To my surprise the option in my account to do so is no longer there. I have been trying to get this purchased for a week, in time before the AP price is going back up as announced recently. So far no luck:

Sales tells me ServiceCenter must do this, but ServiceCenter tells me Sales needs to do it, and Support even tells me I cannot do it at all because I need newer hardware (huh?) ....
Just to clarify: I am NOT trying to somehow get AP2 on my AP1 car which support seems to think, but is of course impossible. I just would like to use the lower price offer and enable AutoPilot AP1.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone who was able to purchase AP1 this month?

OK, so the advise is, just make a SC appointment and then can get it done? Oddly when I called the SC, they told me Sales/HQ needs to decide on this... Did you pay the reduced AP $2k promo price that was announced on March 1st?

OK, so the advise is, just make a SC appointment and then can get it done? Oddly when I called the SC, they told me Sales/HQ needs to decide on this... Did you pay the reduced AP $2k promo price that was announced on March 1st?

It is not a question of technology. It's a question of how you can get someone to do it for you. Someone who is willing to bypass the directive of not selling AP1 to anyone anymore.

It's just like it's technologically possible to upgrade 60 kWh to 85 kWh but how can you get someone to do it for you? So far, there's only 1 case that Tesla did it but never any more.

I do still plan on following up on this after the end of Q1. My limited warranty expires in June, so I'm planning a service visit for what was/what is/whatever the 4th annual service is these days...if I request AP1 activation be added at the same time, maybe they will take pity on me.

Reactions: Tam
Yep I was told the same thing when I called service, which lead to the 2 useless calls and transfer I mentioned, nearly no employees have any clue on AP1 activation. I got mine activated mid/late last year and no such discounts at that time that I remember.

Just make a service appointment and once they sit you with the mechanic/technician they seem to actually know what they're talking about.

Did you pay the $2000 promo price or $3K? Also, is it the same as AP2 vehicle where it is just lane keeping or does it include lane change on turn signal and summon? I was wonder if the AP1 cars have the features split up like the AP2 cars? I send an email to Tesla once the promotion stated asking for the upgrade and got an email 5 weeks later after the promo ended saying I needed a service appointment and they should honor the promo price because of my request email. The rep said he will contact the service center for me to confirm the price. My appoint is setup for the 19th of April, so I will see.