Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I did the impossible yesterday. I locked myself out of my Plaid!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that this would not be possible with a Tesla due to the way the access is designed. Lots of things have to happen for you to lock yourself out of the car.

So, I was at a free CCS charger. Just before connecting the car to the charger, I checked on my Tesla app on the car and the app was not able to communicate with the car. I thought that the problem was the app, so I rebooted the phone. Left the phone on the charging pad and got my RFID card for the CCS charger from my wallet and left the wallet on the passenger seat. I get out of the car with my RFID card to start the charger and that moment, the auto close feature of the door slams the door closed and locks the car. The phone had just rebooted and I hadn't entered my pin yet, so it did NOT act as a phone key. My key card was in my wallet on the passenger seat. So, I first try to call my wife from somebody else's phone but her phone was off. Left a text message for the wife to unlock the car from her Tesla app from the other person's phone as well. After several messages and no response from her, I called Roadside assistance (again, from a borrowed phone). Unfortunately, they told me that my car was offline and they could not remotely unlock it :(
After 1 hour, my wife finally called back on the borrowed phone I called her from and the lady whose phone I borrowed came back to where I was so I could talk to my wife. She tried again to unlock the car via the app with no success.. So, she ended up driving 30 minutes to meet me at the charger to unlock the car with her phone key..
Had to reboot the car for the car to come online again.. For whatever reason, car lost connectivity and would not re-connect to the network until I rebooted it.
That was almost a perfect storm.... something that should never happen in a Tesla.. Luckily, after a total of 2 hours, I was finally able to get back into my car. Lesson learned.

In my head as I always leave the car

Is the phone on your body?
Is your billfold in your pocket?
Is there a phone still in the car that will allow the car to be accidentally opened by bad person.

If answer = Yes the resolve and go through checklist again.
I usually do the same BUT I was not planning on stepping away from the car.. I just got out to inititiate the charge with the RFID card of the charger and get back into the car.. Never thought about auto close closing the door on me and locking me out..

Reactions: Phil Stasik and GSP
Then you may be due.

Isn't it about time for the battery to die?

But honestly, for most people, it is MUCH MORE PROBABLE that they will have their cellphone than a key fob.
That's hilarious!

I was cleaning out the car (MY) in prep for our trip and found an 2032 battery in the centre console and thought it was leftover when I moved the 'useful stuff' from our priusV to the MY almost 3 years ago. On the trip, we got the fob battery needs changing message on the screen. I forgot my husband has a fob and so I was being proactive carrying around a spare battery. I'm lucky I saw it recently. Had I not, I would have been sure there wasn't one in the car.

As for me getting locked out it was brief due to backup stuff working: dump purse on passenger seat, put baby in car seat, shut doors, walk around to unplug, hear the car lock, think "No problem, it won't lock if the phone is in the car" (true), try handle, it asks for key card. I look through the window at my purse sitting there on the seat. I pull my phone out and wave it at the pillar, still no luck. Finally realize I can turn on data and use the app, so I got into the car. But I was damn lucky the car has connectivity in our underground parking spot.

Edited to add: my husband has the fob because he has a very old cell phone that is very unreliable connecting (and BT used to eat his battery so he keeps it off.) He also gets 250mb (no typo) per month with his cell plan. So he figured buying the fob was cheaper than buying a new phone. I had similar connection issues but bought a new phone and later added data to my plan. Being female, I don't get pockets in which to carry a fob so carrying a fob and phone would be asking too much of the female fashion industry.

Then you may be due.

Isn't it about time for the battery to die?

But honestly, for most people, it is MUCH MORE PROBABLE that they will have their cellphone than a key fob.
The car warns you way ahead of time that the battery is low and I replace mine at the first warning. I also find I'm much more likely to leave my phone in the car on the wireless charging pad than I am to take the fob out of my pocket in the middle of the day for some reason.

Not once they leave the house. I do sometimes get into my car in the garage and have forgotten my fob. Just have to walk inside the house and grab it. Once I am out and about it would never come out of my pocket and therefore I cannot get locked out.

Reactions: Shuttlecraft X