Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 Updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am happy where AP1 is at. It does what I want it to do, and I have used it enough to know where to be careful, that is when I need to take over, or when I need to keep my foot near the accelerator for when it brakes when it shouldn't.

I would say it is 90% of the way to being as good as it could be: it could have a little more common sense going over road crests; typically roads don't have a 90 degree turn immediately after cresting a hill, so why would the car decide that turning is better than going straight by default? So I anticipate this happening and of course grab the wheel and sometimes AP cancels out and then I immediately turn it on again going down the hill.

Other times I don't like how it rides perfectly in the centre of the lane; that is where all the potholes are, and in heavy rains that is where the road is concave (from heavy truck traffic) and therefore water pools and increases the car hydroplaning. Experienced drivers position the car just to the right or left of these channels of water; better efficiency due to less drag as well.

Will a computer ever be this smart? to see a pothole and avoid it, while being aware of adjacent cars?

Or to give a little more space for passing vehicles on the side of the road with flashing lights? Or passing a wide load?

What about deer roadkill in the centre of the road: will it do the proper thing and check that the other lane is clear, and then move over? or will it be stupid (i.e.:dangerous) and travel up to it and then slam on the brakes in the middle of the highway and then say "takeover immediately!" ? Probably the latter. I haven't come across this situation yet in this car, but I have come across this situation several times in the last 10 years of driving.

Lately driving in the centre of the left lane where a meridian divides the oncoming lane is where all the left over sand/rocks are from the last snowfall, and driving over it as opposed to the clear path just beside it, hugging the right side of the lane, prevents you from spraying your own car and all the cars behind with rocks. I turn it off in this situation.

Other times I have AP1 engaged but my foot on the accelerator because everyone is travelling 20 km/h over the posted limit on a non-highway, it would be nice if I, the responsible vehicle operator, were able to choose what speed to drive at.

And in traffic I just turn it off. I don't like how much it brakes in traffic, I do a much better job. If I had 2 hours of Los Angeles commuting I might think otherwise of course.

Bottom line is it does what I expect it to do; I like it, if it doesn't get any better I am still satisfied, I can drive over 800 in one day with very little fatigue, I think that is its purpose.

But no computer will ever drive as well as I do.

Reactions: rhumbliner and bmah
You must be an amazing driver or you think computers are really crappy drivers. Either way, your statement is false. Computers may not be as good as you are now but eventually computers will be better than the best human drivers. That is inevitable.

I'm not as convinced of that. Computers will be better at some aspects of driving. Arguably they already are. Statistically autopilot tracks the center of the lane better than a person, and of course it doesn't get distracted. But I think it will be a LONG time before it comes close to handling all of the edge cases that a human handles without a moment of thought. Current AI is nowhere near capable of learning all of the contextual information that people carry with them. And that limits its decision making capacity when odd things happen.

I believe computers will be better in controlled access roads, specifically designed for auto-driving. I can certainly forsee L5 driving on "auto-drive only" lanes or roads that are well surveyed, with vehicle to vehicle and vehicle to infrastructure communications. But autodriving in typical downtown environment with people, bikes and whatnot all over the place is going to be a huge challenge. We could get to the 99% point pretty easily. But that final 1% is going to be enormously difficult.

Reactions: Science fan
I believe I drive better with AP1 (particularly for long-distance freeway driving) than without it. I'm comfortable with its limitations and I have a pretty good idea where it's likely to require intervention (and don't mind taking over for it before it gets into trouble).

Interestingly I've been driving an AP2.5 loaner the past few days, with EAP trial enabled. It does about as well as AP1 in the circumstances I've tried (over about 100 miles), and I see the potential with Nav on Autopilot. But AP1 is fine for me...as long as they don't break anything on it! :)

Bruce.

Will a computer ever be this smart? to see a pothole and avoid it, while being aware of adjacent cars?

Or to give a little more space for passing vehicles on the side of the road with flashing lights? Or passing a wide load?

What about deer roadkill in the centre of the road: will it do the proper thing and check that the other lane is clear, and then move over?

Yes, computers can do these things. The current L4 self-driving cars with LIDAR, like what Waymo is testing, can already do all this now.

You must be an amazing driver or you think computers are really crappy drivers. Either way, your statement is false. Computers may not be as good as you are now but eventually computers will be better than the best human drivers. That is inevitable.

I figured I would get a few comments. :D

You have no way of knowing that will happen anymore than I know that it won't. Neither of us have a crystal ball. So your statement is just as false as mine.

Reactions: boonedocks
I figured I would get a few comments. :D

You have no way of knowing that will happen anymore than I know that it won't. Neither of us have a crystal ball. So your statement is just as false as mine.

Except we can see how computing power is increasing over time and also look at the progress in artificial intelligence and self-driving tech and make a pretty good educated guess about what the future might hold. My statement is much closer to the current trend.