Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 - Definitely heading in the right direction...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP2 has been working pretty great. Better than my AP1 at this point (though AP1 is a tad smoother)

You definitely need to still be the driver. But it is rock solid on highways, and better than I would think on local roads.

If this is still the beta, with only a couple of cameras being used, I can only imagine where we will be when all the cameras are on and much more data has been fed through the machine learning.

Definitely heading in the right direction...

Highway, awesome, but not yet perfect. Best in a center lane vs near the wall.

Local roads, which I advise that its not built for, I still see issues with wider roads drunk driving (seeking back and forth) and turnouts (jerking back into the lane).

I have not had any weird braking issues with overhead signs or shadows in a very long time, 3 updates ago or so.

I cant wait for the "Super Smooth" update.

Yeah, Maybe its where it should have been in November of last year. I activated it a few days ago on a local road where the right line faded and the vehicle wanted to put me in the curb. Its not near where it should be and is still dangerous.

Well i mean AP is designed to keep you inside a lane. if there are no lane markers what do you expect the car to do?

I think the majority of disappointments people have with AP2 is the unrealistic expectations of what its supposed to do. This isn't FSD by any means. This is simply a drivers assistance aid meant to keep people in the lane with minimal effort from the driver, typically on freeways/highways with clear marked lanes and minimal sudden turns.

It is called Auto Pilot correct? Auto = Automatic, If you have to keep your hands on the wheel is this really Auto Pilot?
If a line fades and the car darts to the side of the road is this not an issue?

You are so right - now I'm mad at my automatic dishwasher for making me load it! It's not really automatic!

You are so right - now I'm mad at my automatic dishwasher for making me load it! It's not really automatic!

Tell me when the car can do what it is sold as being capable of:

Enhanced Autopilot
Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.

Tell me when the car can do what it is sold as being capable of:

Enhanced Autopilot
Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.

You missed the last part of the description for Enhanced Autopilot:

The significantly increased sensor information is processed by a computer that is over 40 times more powerful than before. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage. That said, Enhanced Autopilot should still be considered a driver's assistance feature with the driver responsible for remaining in control of the car at all times.

Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software has begun rolling out and features will continue to be introduced as validation is completed, subject to regulatory approval.

@wesley888 You're quoting the "Revised Standard" version of Tesla's disclaimer that was amended months after many of us purchased and received our cars. :eek:

I would agree that AP2 is getting better. 99% of the time on the interstates, we have no issues. Of course, the other 1% will still kill you when the car abruptly decides to disengage autosteer after first making an abrupt left turn into another lane of traffic.

@wesley888 You're quoting the "Revised Standard" version of Tesla's disclaimer that was amended months after many of us purchased and received our cars. :eek:

I would agree that AP2 is getting better. 99% of the time on the interstates, we have no issues. Of course, the other 1% will still kill you when the car abruptly decides to disengage autosteer after first making an abrupt left turn into another lane of traffic.

Yes, I know.. I did not have time to dig up my images of the old wording. In any case the fact remains that its now June and we still dont have what we were promised in December. I have also tried Auto Pilot a few times and its still too dangerous to trust. Yes, If you are on a new highway with new painted lines the system can keep you in a lane but if the lanes fade there seems to still be no logic to keep in in the lane and it will still dive to the right. I have also been on the highway in the right lane and the vehicle puts me in the exit lane when the right line disappears even though the left line stays. The system is not where it should be... Has progress been made sure because it was much worse but is it safe now.. No.

I have also tried Auto Pilot a few times and its still too dangerous to trust.

I have no idea how you can think this. I used on 90% of a long drive. In city traffic a lot. And have been using on local roads here and there.

But I also don't use it on roads I know it is not going to work well on, and disengage it when the road changes from good to bad.

The only way it is remotely dangerous is if you turn it on and then think your job is done.

To each their own. I commute 70 miles to work on AP2. i run AP 90% of the time. Tesla has stated that there have been no fatal crashes with AP running except for the one guy watching harry potter and not paying attention to the road.

Yes, I know.. I did not have time to dig up my images of the old wording. In any case the fact remains that its now June and we still dont have what we were promised in December. I have also tried Auto Pilot a few times and its still too dangerous to trust. Yes, If you are on a new highway with new painted lines the system can keep you in a lane but if the lanes fade there seems to still be no logic to keep in in the lane and it will still dive to the right. I have also been on the highway in the right lane and the vehicle puts me in the exit lane when the right line disappears even though the left line stays. The system is not where it should be... Has progress been made sure because it was much worse but is it safe now.. No.

The majority of people disagree with this post. If you don't believe in its capabilities then a few simple searches on youtube for 17.17.4 will enlighten you. Im not going to give youtube posters free advertising but a lot of veteran personalities have posted long detailed videos of AP driving them miles and miles with no incident.

The system is designed to keep you in a lane. If there are no indications of what the lane is, the computer doesn't use a human brain it isn't going to know. Once again, unrealistic expectations of what autopilot actually is/does. Autopilot does not equal Full Self driving. And the fact you had to go find old images that no longer exist just shows the bitterness and obsession of what you want your car to do vs what its supposed to do.

To each their own. I commute 70 miles to work on AP2. i run AP 90% of the time. Tesla has stated that there have been no fatal crashes with AP running except for the one guy watching harry potter and not paying attention to the road.

The majority of people disagree with this post. If you don't believe in its capabilities then a few simple searches on youtube for 17.17.4 will enlighten you. Im not going to give youtube posters free advertising but a lot of veteran personalities have posted long detailed videos of AP driving them miles and miles with no incident.

The system is designed to keep you in a lane. If there are no indications of what the lane is, the computer doesn't use a human brain it isn't going to know. Once again, unrealistic expectations of what autopilot actually is/does. Autopilot does not equal Full Self driving. And the fact you had to go find old images that no longer exist just shows the bitterness and obsession of what you want your car to do vs what its supposed to do.

As someone that also purchased FSD how is it unrealistic that it will be able use logic to keep you on a road when a line fades? If that is the case how is this vehicle supposed to drive by itself in the near future when it cant with a driver in the seat?

Reactions: NerdUno
For the record, we've had autopilot disengage after sharply veering into another lane on perfectly marked roads... not often, but often enough to kill you if you don't have the steering wheel locked down to prevent turns of more than about two degrees in either direction. We've also had the car drive perfectly on roads with poorly marked lanes or missing lines. The point is it's totally UNRELIABLE without full-time attention and a level of defensive driving that far exceeds what one would normally employ in a vehicle with no self-driving capability. Over the years, I've eaten many a hamburger while driving down a highway (safely) at 70 MPH. I would never even attempt that in my Tesla with AP2 engaged, and I hope none of you would either.

As someone that also purchased FSD how is it unrealistic that it will be able use logic to keep you on a road when a line fades? If that is the case how is this vehicle supposed to drive by itself in the near future when it cant with a driver in the seat?

You're talking about a FSD that has not been developed yet. Maybe that's why the car has 8 cameras. We're talking about Autosteer/Autopilot, a feature that was designed to assist you in staying in a lane.

There's no point in arguing with each other over AP2 capability because everyone will have different experiences. AP works for some, doesn't for others. Doesn't mean its flawed in anyway. Just means circumstances permit.

It is called Auto Pilot correct? Auto = Automatic, If you have to keep your hands on the wheel is this really Auto Pilot?
If a line fades and the car darts to the side of the road is this not an issue?

"Auto" pilot in an airplane (this is the origination of the term) will surely fly you into a mountain if the pilot does not intervene. In an airplane it is meant to Help and assist the pilot in the duties of flying the plane. It is never meant to take over as the operator responsible for the safe operation of the plane. It is the same as the autopilot in the Tesla.