TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP2 - Definitely heading in the right direction...

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Driver Dave, Jun 7, 2017.

1. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

doh.gif doh.gif

• Funny x 3
  2. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

Couldn't disagree more. Autopilot on a plane would never veer into the path of a plane flying parallel to you. It follows a compass heading and does so whether it's sunny, dark, windy, or raining. It would never turn itself off instantaneously and expect you to safely navigate out of a collision avoidance situation that it initiated. No pilot that I've met keeps his or her hands on the yoke every second of a flight for fear that the plane may abruptly swerve in an unsafe direction. I could go on, but you get the idea. You're comparing apples and oranges.

So let's tone down the cheerleading that confuses folks by grossly misrepresenting what AP2 can and cannot currently do.

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

#23 Lloyd, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Not true, Aircraft fly MUCH more complex flight patterns than a simple heading. Autopilots in aircraft do turn off quite frequently, in turbulence for example, and yes you have to be aware and ready to navigate on your own at any given moment!

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  4. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

In the eurowings flight a few years ago where the copilot locked the pilot out of the cockpit and deliberately crashed the plane, he did that by setting the autopilot on a collision course with terrain and simply laid back...

In a Tesla, autopilot will disengage and demand driver input if it senses a nonrecoverable incident. And like i said before, there have been no fatal incidents with autopilot running besides the one guy watching harry potter...so all this talk about AP trying to kill people is a bit much.

• Like x 2
  5. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Some folks here just simply like to complain. They will never acknowledge the progress, but simply focus one the few edge case scenarios and keep harping on it.

Keep repeating, "It will kill you", somehow makes their points by legitimate.

I drive AP1 which cant handle back roads, dives to the exit etc. But I use it in my stressful highway commute in the center lane everyday and it has dramatically relieved my stress levels so much , it is a massive improvement in my quality of life. I am no longer tired reaching office or after getting back home as I used to be. Thanks to Teslas AP.

• Like x 9
    • Informative x 1
  6. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

But! But! Tesla said 8 months ago that AP could do everything and that you could sleep in your car!

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Gibson

Gibson Member

Seriously? Do you actually read these posts before replying?

You want the cheerleaders to stop confusing people by "grossly misrepresenting what AP2 can and cannot do"? Have you read this thread at all? Everyone here touting the benefits of AP2 has clearly stated that it is a "driver assistance" system. From my reading, they all acknowledge the limitations of AP2. Don't go to sleep, don't watch a movie, don't enable on roads where the lanes aren't well marked, it is not to be confused with "full self driving". Should I go on? These statements are all taken from those you call "cheerleading" and "misrepresenting".

It seems to me that us "cheerleaders" are the only ones who are not misrepresenting what AP2 can and cannot do. In fact, the very title of this thread simply suggests that AP2 is "heading in the right direction". Exactly how does that title or these post grossly misrepresent what AP2 can/can't do? Please let me know how they confuse anyone who is about to purchase a Tesla.

No offense, but if anyone can be accused of confusing anyone or misrepresenting what AP2 can and cannot do, it is you. Virtually every one of your posts about AP2 discusses how it "will kill you." You and others claim it is not usable, even for a split second. The evidence overwhelmingly suggests just the opposite. Do you not see the hypocrisy/hyperbole in your posts?

Personally, I really enjoy AP2. Like I (and most others) have said over and over, it has it's failings. It is not perfect. Frankly, I doubt it ever will be. Not to get all philosophical, but honestly, what is? If you expect perfection, sell your car now. It will always disappoint you. Cut your losses and move on.

I get it. You wanted AEP perfection in December. You somehow feel ripped off. I picked up my car on January 26th. Have not stopped smiling since. Like the OP, I absolutely agree that AP2 is heading in the right direction. I can't wait for the next update. I hear Auto Pilot will be "smooth as silk". ;). I suspect that I will be satisfied with whatever the update brings. Something tells me you won't.

Sorry, did I go off on a tangent? Something about that statement set me off. I apologize for my tone. It's just that every post about AP2 somehow deteriorates into what was promised in December.

Be safe.

• Like x 7
    • Love x 4
    • Informative x 1
  8. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

My favorite line of the day from any thread was by @Gibaon

"Seriously? Do you actually read these posts before replying?"

9. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

When using autopilot I feel I have to be more alert than driving myself. In southern California the freeway conditions are frequently inappropriate for autopilot. Even in controlled access HOV lanes we have lane splitting motorcyclists zipping by inches from our car.

• Like x 2
  10. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

If you review the context for my reply above (which was quoted), it was the misleading nature of comparing AP2 to autopilot systems on commercial aircraft. One is safe, and one clearly is not as it stands today when BOTH are used in a similar way.

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 1
  11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

My #1 hate about driving in California. I'd gladly pay at least $20 / day while traveling through California to have lanesplitting removed from the driving experience. Scarier on average than driving in Florida -- which is a very low bar, IMO.

• Like x 1
  12. Mobius484

Mobius484 Supporting Member

13. Mobius484

Mobius484 Supporting Member

Amen brother! Autopilot is an amazing TOOL that I use regularly to avoid stress. But I am still the pilot. I like tools. They make my jobs easier. But I still operate them. Loving my 90d, 10000 miles since Jan 6.

• Like x 4
  14. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

Couldn't agree more. And, fortunately, most current Tesla owners are extremely good drivers so the AP2 limitations don't cause problems or serious accidents. But Model 3 vehicles are coming with a very different group of drivers who may have very different expectations based upon the "puffing" of autopilot that has occurred over the past many months. Let's hope Elon's luck holds, and AP2 continues to improve.

• Like x 1
  15. Driver Dave

Driver Dave Member

[QUOTE="NerdUno, post: 2140236, member: 55760"...and AP2 continues to improve.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you updated?

When AP2 first came out, yeah, not so great.

But now, if the lanes are solid, it's solid. And I use it a lot. I've never ever seen it just start driving off when it has good lanes (as you have described)

I'm wondering if for some reason you car is not updated? Or something is wrong with your cameras that you have should have looked at from a dealer.

Anyway, AP2, right now, with current software updates, and working cameras, with solid lines - is pretty great.

• Like x 2
  16. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

Something is wrong but it probably isnt the cameras.

• Like x 2
  17. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

I suspect there is a loose nut between the steering wheel and the seat

• Funny x 6
  18. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

The kindergarten comments are unnecessary. There are a number of situations where good lane markings are not enough with AP2, e.g. cresting even a slight hill, navigating some minor curves, dips in the road moving between a bridge and highway surface, and passing barrels placed close to a lane marker. All of those can cause the car to shift direction and immediately disengage autosteer. That leaves you headed toward another lane or wall with little to no warning.

• Like x 1
  19. Driver Dave

Driver Dave Member

No, that leaves you taking over. With plenty of warning because you where paying attention and saw the crest, barrels, or other problems you have seen by paying attention.

Seriously though, do not use autopilot. If it is throwing this much, you definitely should not be using it,

But don't act like it all the AI's fault. It is beta. Those of us using know that, and are having a great time with it, and have been enjoying watching it develop, and look forward to it being even better.

But for you, please stick to just driving manually.

You can't handle the AP2! ;)

• Like x 2
  20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I found something to agree with NerdUno about. Let's keep it focused on the topic not the author.

• Funny x 2