Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 - Definitely heading in the right direction...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. All cars should never let you start them if you are a bad driver.

Sorry, none of these features are "dangersous as hell" only bad drivers who don't pay attention are or refuse to learn how and when to use features in their car.

It is like a guy using cruise control for the first time and crashing into the car in front of him and blaming "that darn cruise control they should have never released"

Cruise Control is different than adaptive cruise control which is different than auto pilot. You all are missing the point. Clear your head and go to the Tesla page for the first time. Your impression of what this vehicle can do would completely change verse what it really can do. I challenge any of you to find someone that is neutral and ask them to review the Tesla website and ask them to tell you what they learned. I have done it and just about everyone will say.. Wow this car can drive itself. Its what its marketed at and what its sold as. Go to the Tesla page and choose an S or X and what stands out? Tesla Full Self Driving Hardware and the infamous video of it driving on its own... Order Now! Sure stuff is now worded differently in the fine print but its still the feature they are using to sell and promote this vehicle. Imagine having 300k people getting AP2 on a Model 3 do you not think these younger people will put more or less faith than an older more experienced person. If something dramatically does not change with AP2 yes it will become dangerous out there with these new drivers activating Auto Pilot.

I plan to use AP2 when I can knowing the limitations of roads and surprises like pot holes. Why should we put the total burden on the AP2 software? We need to push the city, state and national road commissions to improve the roads we drive on. It would improve safety. Besides clear line markings, maybe they could include markers for AP equipped cars to use in known ambiguous sections.

Somebody remind me why Tesla changed vendors? Was it a cheaper contract, or are they supposed to take AP to the next level?
First of all, thank you for an excellent post @essmd.

To your question: Tesla didn't change vendors voluntarily / without pressure from Mobileye. It seems very clear that Tesla wanted to keep ME, but at the same time use MEs tech to help them migrate to a new in-house vision system. ME wouldn't have it, so they demanded more $$$$ and more control / exclusivity. Elon said f*** off so they broke up.

Reactions: wesley888
My recollection is that Mobileye was quite concerned that Elon was overpromoting what Mobileye's current hardware and software were capable of delivering safely. So... I think the divorce was mutual.

Exactly. All cars should never let you start them if you are a bad driver.

Sorry, none of these features are "dangersous as hell" only bad drivers who don't pay attention are or refuse to learn how and when to use features in their car.

It is like a guy using cruise control for the first time and crashing into the car in front of him and blaming "that darn cruise control they should have never released"

Just wondering what your credentials are for proclaiming everyone that disagrees with you a bad driver? Maybe once you master spelling and basic grammar, we can all chat about how the rest of us could become driving experts like you. :eek:

First of all, thank you for an excellent post @essmd.

To your question: Tesla didn't change vendors voluntarily / without pressure from Mobileye. It seems very clear that Tesla wanted to keep ME, but at the same time use MEs tech to help them migrate to a new in-house vision system. ME wouldn't have it, so they demanded more $$$$ and more control / exclusivity. Elon said f*** off so they broke up.

Got it, well that little Tesla milestone potentially destroyed their AP and FSD future (I used to think it was just the lack of LIDAR) , although you would not know it from the stock value and all of the new "Fan Boys" that are still optimistic that AP2 will eventually equal and surpass AP1.

Should even a quarter of the investors have real insight to this issue, I suspect Tesla stock would take a significant hit.

• Disagree
Reactions: RLC3 and dhanson865
AP1 is still very far ahead of AP2

ABSOLUTELY !!!

I think the foundation of the AP2 process is far less stable and accurate despite using upgraded hardware and CPU, so is it mostly the software and AI component that puts it behind AP1?

I don't disagree with the perspective that is not just ready for the road yet, perhaps it should be more limited or even deactivated until at least as reliable as AP1, but that would really raise some eyebrows.

Has the NTSB fully evaluated and approved it in the current form,. or is it riding on the coattails of AP1?

We used to hear about almost every little accident related to Tesla AP, but I am curious about the comparison of incidents comparing AP1 and AP2. We can only hope that for public safety, an "intelligent" government regulatory oversight is paying attention.

My recollection is that Mobileye was quite concerned that Elon was overpromoting what Mobileye's current hardware and software were capable of delivering safely. So... I think the divorce was mutual.

Just wondering what your credentials are for proclaiming everyone that disagrees with you a bad driver? Maybe once you master spelling and basic grammar, we can all chat about how the rest of us could become driving experts like you. :eek:

No need to get personal, we are all entitled to opinions and perspectives, however mine happen to be correct;)

I used to preach that AP1 increased the safety of my driving, as I was more relaxed while monitoring the quality functionality of AP1 without having to get "stressed out" by responding to every speed and directional adjustment of regular driving, which I had done very well for over 40 years.

It is similar to current pilots flying with autopilot, versus those flying basic planes... Night and Day difference of an experience.

With AP2, my stress is clearly increased, as is my frustration as I am constantly comparing AP1 to AP2, which may be unique to those of us with months of experience with the current AP1.

For those of you only with AP2, I guess I should apologize for my negative perspective, since you have only enjoyed improvements over time.

ABSOLUTELY !!!

I think the foundation of the AP2 process is far less stable and accurate despite using upgraded hardware and CPU, so is it mostly the software and AI component that puts it behind AP1?

I don't disagree with the perspective that is not just ready for the road yet, perhaps it should be more limited or even deactivated until at least as reliable as AP1, but that would really raise some eyebrows.

Has the NTSB fully evaluated and approved it in the current form,. or is it riding on the coattails of AP1?

We used to hear about almost every little accident related to Tesla AP, but I am curious about the comparison of incidents comparing AP1 and AP2. We can only hope that for public safety, an "intelligent" government regulatory oversight is paying attention.

But AP1 v AP2 is irrelevant in so far as they both require you to be alert and ready to intervene. The only difference is AP1 requires less intervention, but it still requires it and always will

SiB_Logo.jpg

My recollection is that Mobileye was quite concerned that Elon was overpromoting what Mobileye's current hardware and software were capable of delivering safely

That was the PR stunt that MobileEye chief pulled, to tarnish Tesla.

It was obvious that Tesla wanted to iterate and go at a faster pace than what MobileEye could possibly do, and when Tesla started plans of using nVidia hardware, MobileEye learnt they are being shunted out anyway and then decided the pull the plug earlier than Tesla would have done. So the gradual phase out that Tesla had planned did not materialize.

Besides there was also a rumor that Mobile wanted IP rights to all the data Tesla is collecting through their hardware - which is laughable and outrageous. This is like Intel or Oracle stating that all your data belongs to us !!

Last edited by a moderator:
AP2 is very close to AP1, and the latest update strating to roll out as I write this essentially makes them equal, if not AP2 better. From now on AP2 will exceed AP1 capabilities. Oh, and 6-8 months is incredably fast for Tesla to duplicate Mobileye-functionalty that had taken Mobileye years to develop.

Not so fast :). AP1 reads speed limit signs and displays vehicles in adjacent lanes on the dash. Still some more catching up to do.

Reactions: croman

Disclaimer: I held shares in both MBLY and TSLA before and after the breakup with Tesla.

My recollection is that Mobileye publicly praised Tesla's aggressive approach to self driving technology. Short of inside information, it's impossible to know whether the fatal accident in FL, business disagreement, something else, or a combination of factors led to the split between Tesla and Mobileye.

AP1 is still very far ahead of AP2

I'm not sure this is true anymore. I have both and use both regularly.

Both are good on highways.

AP1 is smoother.

AP2 seems a little better on local roads.

At this point it is sort of a wash.

I do see how AP1 will stay as it is, and AP2 will eclipse it. Maybe with next update. Certainly when the rest of the cameras turn on.

I see you have a reservation on a Model 3, I hope people that defend the system would actually be users that are using the system... AP2 users would be preferred and not AP1 users who do not have the same user experience. My wife and kids wont even let me activate it when they are in the car because every time I activated it there always seemed to be a dangerous issue.

So ... if I'm defending, then you must be attacking?
What If I am not defending anything, just pointing out the obvious hole in this bickering. If you find AP2 unusable, DON'T use it. Demand your money back and go live your happy life without your children preventing you from turning it on.
As far as I know, no-one is forcing you to use it. And as far as I can see your children have better judgment than you.