Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App to remind me to take my iPhone from car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. Saw that. At best there will be a few second delay a you walk away from your phone.
my ancient Camry prevented you from locking your car and beeped as soon as you shut the door

Still don’t know why technology available 15 years ago in cars, isn’t included here.
If I leave my phone in the car the doors don't lock (or honk since I have that setting on) that is usually how I remember if I happen to leave my phone in the car. Same for if I forget that I took the fob out of my pocket and left it in the cup holder.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
If I leave my phone in the car the doors don't lock
Yup, but the honk is soft (which I like) and easy to miss.
I have the car since June 5 and walked away (more than just a few feet) about once a week.
Yeah, I know, I'm an idiot, but I guess 15 years of having a car beep if I left key in car and closed the door have conditioned me
We're all aware of the workarounds, etc., but I guess this thread is my way of expressing frustration that this super advanced car lacks the basic technology available in cars for more than a decade

Reactions: Transformer
I have the car since June 5 and walked away (more than just a few feet) about once a week.
Yeah, I know, I'm an idiot, but I guess 15 years of having a car beep if I left key in car and closed the door have conditioned me
We're all aware of the workarounds, etc., but I guess this thread is my way of expressing frustration that this super advanced car lacks the basic technology available in cars for more than a decade
I understand. Though the other workaround is to leave your phone in your pocket, lol. Can't forget it then.

I understand a degree of frustration - but this is 2021 with a tech forward, super advanced car, not 2006.
You already have the fix - don't use your phone as the key, use the fob and leave it in your pocket.
Basic technology is still there, you just have to use it :)
Its a lot better than leaving your " $1000 touch screen computer/gps/chat/video/fitness device that's sometimes used as a phone" laying around :D

Reactions: haroldo
Or... and hear me out... you could have two phones, always keeping one in your pockets and having it connected to the hotspot wifi of the other (the one you leave in the car). When your pocket phone loses its wifi connection to the other, use Tasker to react and notify you :cool:

Started doing that for shorter trips, but for long drives, I don't completely trust Tesla map, I use Apple Maps, too. I think it does a better job of reacting to traffic conditions (plus I hate "make a turn in 700 feet" navigation, prefer "after this light, make the next turn")
completely with you on that one!
Tesla Nav was great five years ago, but its getting left behind as other navigation options have caught it up.
It's one of my concerns for when FSD eventually releases, we'll get stuck with either manually driving or using FSD encumbered by the current nav system.

I keep leaving my iPhone in the car (two sticky notes on the dashboard doesn't seem to be doing the job).
Is there a reliable iPhone app that will alert Apple Watch if iPhone is out of distance that you'd recommend?
Thanks!

One of my (many) suggestions for Tesla would be to have the car beep if the driver's door is opened and closed and the mobile phone using PhoneKey is still in the car, if there's no one sitting in the driver's seat. Really wish Tesla had a suggestion box.
Excellent, especially a Tesla warning or better yet have the car beep twice quickly.

I often leave my cell phone in my car and get out temporarily. One example is stopping in front of the mailbox to pick the mail up and get back to the car. It would aggravate me if my car would beep at me. Just stating this to indicate that it's always more complicated than it looks at first glance :)

in your opinion. I would definitely close my door if it's raining, snowing etc. Same at a supercharger for example. Anyway, doesn't matter, was just trying to say that it's not "just 4 lines of code". It's just my opinion, no more.
Other cars with push button start have the same problem as far as I know. You can throw the key in the cupholder and forget it there. I don't think the car will complain when you get out, and it's okay because you might want to leave it unlocked and leave. It's an acceptable use case. Granted, keys can stay in a purse or pockets whereas you want to charge your cell phone, I get that. My personal solution is to use Tasker to leave the screen on when it's charging wirelessly and bluetooth connected to the car. That way, as I get out I see its screen on, it attracts my attention. Imperfect I know, but works for me.

Ah yes, I believe our previous VW Golf did something similar, unless it's my wife's Crosstrek. You see, that annoyed me that a car would systematically tell me something I know (except in an exceptional forgetful situation :)) . Many car GPS system start every drive by telling you how dangerous it is to type and drive. After one time, I know thank you very much.
Yes, some might say that I get annoyed easily. I'll accept that, but I'm sure I'm not alone.

Other cars with push button start have the same problem as far as I know. You can throw the key in the cupholder and forget it there. I don't think the car will complain when you get out,

That’s not correct. My Camry (the most basic mainstream car ever built), in 2007 had this feature. A bit of technological historical perspective, that’s the year the first iPhone was launched.
and it's okay because you might want to leave it unlocked and leave.
Again, if that’s an issue, they can simply add a button in controls to turn off warning (like they do with many other warning beeps). Or add a line of code to check if there are other passengers in the car. Even without them adding these simple steps, driver jumping out for a few seconds can leave door slightly ajar.

Definitely want this phone-left-behind nudge. Sending the reminder to the phone doesn't seem too useful as the phone is not on you, it's in the car. I like pinging a smart watch, though haven't seen it work for me although my Find My iPhone settings are set on. My preferred approach is the car chiming when (at least) the (phone that unlocked the car is still in the car and) driver seat is unoccupied. Though ideally would like the option to set this to all seats being occupied - I may have one or more passengers and be stepping out of the car temporarily (to run into a store to pick up something) - as long as there are passengers in the car, it seems reasonable I may want the phone to remain in the car.

I keep leaving my iPhone in the car (two sticky notes on the dashboard doesn't seem to be doing the job).
Is there a reliable iPhone app that will alert Apple Watch if iPhone is out of distance that you'd recommend?
Thanks!

One of my (many) suggestions for Tesla would be to have the car beep if the driver's door is opened and closed and the mobile phone using PhoneKey is still in the car, if there's no one sitting in the driver's seat. Really wish Tesla had a suggestion box.
You need to get addicted to tiktok, Facebook, twitter, instagram, tinder etc.