Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adding Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (if Tesla does one, they would have to do both - due to the 50-50 market split between the two OS) would likely be considerably more complicated than adding games.

The games only run while the vehicle is parked - so those apps can be implemented without worrying about interference with other operations - essentially the MCU is in "offline mode" while the games are running - a much simpler environment.

Adding the Apple and Android screen mirroring systems would be more complicated, since they would need to run while the MCU is also busy with everything else that runs while the vehicle is in motion - including the Tesla user interface, map display, navigation display, ...

In the past, Musk has indicated they would likely go a different route - either implementing their own screen mirroring or using a 3rd party solution - and not go with the Apple or Android solutions.

Addressing smartphone integration is long overdue for Tesla - along with fixing the long standing bugs and design flaws in the software. The voice command system could do much more, reducing touchscreen interactions while the vehicle is in motion.

However, Tesla (Musk) is still moving full speed ahead on implementing FSD - and if they believe they are within 12 to 24 months of really getting FSD working, that makes it more likely Tesla will focus more on functionality that would be more useful while the vehicle is in FSD mode, such as increased entertainment options for the passengers, and less focus on minimizing driver disruptions (since the human driver would become a passenger).

Are there any security concerns by opening the system to both apple and android versions? ie: could this be an entry point for malware hypothetically?
Not necessarily to affect the driving system of the car but to cause other havoc on the media system and UI.

If yes ...then maybe that’s a factor in their decision?

Test drove the Audi eTron SUV a couple of weeks ago, the interior is just so much better than a Tesla. If a P100D would have the eTron interior (and tech), and Tesla would give me priority service (live service person to speak to, appointments within a week, guaranteed P100D Tesla loaner for however long it takes to fix the car, get parts in, etc), I'd be placing an order for one today.
Yes, I can relate to your position. I just had a very negative experience with Tesla service. I love the car (Model S 75D) but I really cannot say too many great things about the service experience

Adding Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (if Tesla does one, they would have to do both - due to the 50-50 market split between the two OS) would likely be considerably more complicated than adding games.

The games only run while the vehicle is parked - so those apps can be implemented without worrying about interference with other operations - essentially the MCU is in "offline mode" while the games are running - a much simpler environment.

Adding the Apple and Android screen mirroring systems would be more complicated, since they would need to run while the MCU is also busy with everything else that runs while the vehicle is in motion - including the Tesla user interface, map display, navigation display, ...

In the past, Musk has indicated they would likely go a different route - either implementing their own screen mirroring or using a 3rd party solution - and not go with the Apple or Android solutions.

Addressing smartphone integration is long overdue for Tesla - along with fixing the long standing bugs and design flaws in the software. The voice command system could do much more, reducing touchscreen interactions while the vehicle is in motion.

However, Tesla (Musk) is still moving full speed ahead on implementing FSD - and if they believe they are within 12 to 24 months of really getting FSD working, that makes it more likely Tesla will focus more on functionality that would be more useful while the vehicle is in FSD mode, such as increased entertainment options for the passengers, and less focus on minimizing driver disruptions (since the human driver would become a passenger).

If the map stopped being rendered that would free up enough resources for Android Auto/Carplay to be shown. I'm pretty sure the MCU has hardware acceleration capable of decoding a measly 1280x720 or even lower h264 stream, but it should be able to handle a 1080p stream probably.

I really don't think implementing AA/CarPlay would be hard if they wanted to. There are hobbyist made Android Auto receiver applications on XDA-Developers and there's even someone on TMC who is considering making a AA to webpage conversion tool so that you can use it in the web browser on the MCU.

Reactions: goRt
I don’t know the functionality required so this may be outside the box but I am OK if CarPlay never comes just change the nav to Waze. “Object in Road” is a life saving tool. I know there is a work around with the Tesla Waze app but it doesn’t equal the real Waze app. Part of being the “safest car” is situational awareness. Love the car but miss my Waze and it just seems wrong to mount my phone adjacent to the big screen.

• Helpful
Reactions: goRt and hcdavis3
We have CarPlay in my wife’s Mercedes, never likely to use it though as it isn’t really as good as the Mercedes MBUX system.

In many ways I’d rather Tesla provided a better system of their own rather than bolted on CarPlay.

Reactions: CSFTN
I don’t have CarPlay but from what I’ve seen there are only certain apps that can be used on the cars screens. Typically the native apple apps like music text etc......
Am I wrong about this?
Will the “Waze” app even work on the cars screens if we had CarPlay?
Yes, Waze works as a CarPlay app. My daughter's Kia Niro has CarPlay and it's great.

Also, a cool thing about CarPlay is you don't have to use it just because a car has the capability.

Reactions: erik_k
CarPlay and Android Auto are very simple systems, they don't (have to) tightly integrate with the car at all. The most basic form of them is the phone streams a h264 video stream that the car's display renders. Then touch, button, and microphone input is just streamed back to the phone for it to do with as it wants. It's extremely simple and once implemented doesn't require or hinder development of Tesla's on screen features at all. It's just one of many apps that can run on the MCU.

I really wish they would just add support. I do not like or want to subscribe to Slacker premium so now I have to use bluetooth audio from my phone, but I have to use the phone to do *sugar* which isn't safe.

Me too.

CarPlay in my opinion is hands down the best UI to navigate / play music / Audiobooks / Podcasts / Digital Radio

It doesn’t tie you into your phone, it is your phone. If you don’t have a phone then you don’t need it.

Various forums I’ve read the users that do t like CarPlay or Android Auto are the users that have never actually tried it.

Reactions: cwerdna
I have CarPlay in my other ICE vehicle. If I had to choose between Tesla infotainment and a nice CarPlay setup. I’d choose Tesla. Tesla’s Nav dwarfs everything. The Native Streaming is great. Sure I’d like more streaming services, and maybe we’ll get some more some day. But CarPlay can’t touch the Nav. I also like how everything else integrates in the Tesla.

I can also do other Streaming Services via Bluetooth, but rarely do because I have enough native.

I just don’t want to see things get butchered up by CarPlay or Android Auto. Those came about because Cars didn’t have good infotainment or native cellular. Tesla does.

The split really depends on which market you're looking at and also the source of the data.
https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/iphone-vs-android-market-share-3691861/ sounds about right. It's a fairly even split in the US but Android dominates globally. Ditto for IDC - Smartphone Market Share - OS.

In some countries, like Japan, iOS is dominant (Android v iOS market share 2019). In India, Android dominates, by FAR: Android v iOS market share 2019.

For the record, I'm an iOS guy, work on iOS software for a living, carry an iPhone as my personal phone and prefer iOS but I also intentionally carry an Android phone as my work phone. (Off the top of my head, we have similar data at work that concurs w/at least the India and Japan assertions.)

But yes, to me, automakers have been forced to eventually support both because it can make the difference between someone choosing one car over another, esp. if one car is missing support for the phone OS that potential customer has. My Bolt has support for both. Leafs can have support for both. Some automakers like Toyota have been behind and finally added CarPlay first to some vehicles but no Android Auto. Android Auto announcements came later.

Last edited: