Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple CarPlay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least what android auto does is to host a server through USB where it renders an offscreen user interface which is sent over as a compressed stream. The infotainment in the car is actually a client which subscribes to that stream and shows it while sending touch screen feedback.

That's essentially how CarPlay works too. It's a separate screen than the iPhone screen, as the pictures above show, not a mirror.

In terms of implementing a head unit (stereo) that supports CarPlay, Developing CarPlay Systems, Part 1 - WWDC 2016 - Videos - Apple Developer has some high-level info. I've not watched the whole thing and have only skimmed bits of the transcript. Googling for stuff like developing carplay systems site:apple.com might turn up more.

Also, beside CarPlay not being screen mirroring, only a very small subset of iOS apps actually work and can be used w/CarPlay. I believe Apple only allows certain classes with them: Introduction - CarPlay - Human Interface Guidelines - Apple Developer. And, IIRC, you have to have a certain entitlement to even submit an app with it. P

Plugshare answered a question as to why their iOS app doesn't work on CarPlay at Mario Caballero. You may need to be logged into FB to see it.

Last edited:
I love CarPlay and get very envious every time I am in a rental that has it. I will make sure my wife’s next lease has it next year. That being said, Tesla is improving their propriety system to the point where it’s almost becoming good enough for me. When I got the car a couple of years ago, the navigation and music options were terrible. Now with Spotify and a much improved navigation system, the only thing missing in my eyes is better voice/SMS integration which Elon did tweet at one point was coming. I hope soon.

It’s clear that Tesla has no desire to integrate CarPlay/Android Auto and wants to continue down their own path. As long as they continue to have zero competition in the Model S/EV space, it’s not a competitive disadvantage.

Reactions: CarlK
I love CarPlay and get very envious every time I am in a rental that has it. I will make sure my wife’s next lease has it next year. That being said, Tesla is improving their propriety system to the point where it’s almost becoming good enough for me. When I got the car a couple of years ago, the navigation and music options were terrible. Now with Spotify and a much improved navigation system, the only thing missing in my eyes is better voice/SMS integration which Elon did tweet at one point was coming. I hope soon.

Agreed. Voice controlled operation is the only additional feature I would like too. For that Carplay would not help either.

It’s clear that Tesla has no desire to integrate CarPlay/Android Auto and wants to continue down their own path. As long as they continue to have zero competition in the Model S/EV space, it’s not a competitive disadvantage.

Or when Tesla becomes as big as Apple or Google and has resources to develop even better integrated drive control and infotainment interface. That I believe is the plan.

I have carplay on my current car. All it is as far as I see it is a system to patch the cars own inadequate infotainment system.

to be honest, the only things I will miss on getting a Tesla will be audible app and maybe whatsapp - for music I can simply change over from Amazon Music to spotify, no problem.

Seeing as you can play audible books still through bluetooth, the loss of carplay will be pretty irrelevant to me.

The carplay interface, even in its latest incarnation is pretty chunky and simple, and designed to fit in every cars display - as such there are big compromises in its design/layout. Carplay I think would look pretty ugly if ever integrated into a Tesla.

To each his own I guess.
I would not want either Apple car play or Android play. Car and the tech inside should be able to develop and be independent of the phones we carry.
Just my 2 cents.
I’ve been in some of the newer cars like the Lexus that has “tech overload” with tons of buttons that make it all work. It’s insane sometimes with knobs and switches in every corner that do something.

I love my Tesla and one of the biggest reasons is simplicity and clean look but still with many great features that are automated or under glass.
Again to each his own.

I couldn't disagree more. Tesla is great in building electric cars, no doubt. But look how youtube and netflix is integrated. It is slow, it is not flawless, and frustrates every user I have seen trying it out in my Model 3. Tesla's interface for entertainment is, forgive my language, rubbish!
You are totally in your right not wanting to use CarPlay but if the feature was available, you could just opt out of using it. There are so many Tesla drivers I know that would love to see a better integration of their phone with the tesla screen. I would totally use CarPlay as I have used in previous cars. Tesla should be more humble and give the user the option.
I mean, what game is tesla playing here by opposing integration of CarPlay???

• Love
Reactions: Reeler
I couldn't disagree more. Tesla is great in building electric cars, no doubt. But look how youtube and netflix is integrated. It is slow, it is not flawless, and frustrates every user I have seen trying it out in my Model 3. Tesla's interface for entertainment is, forgive my language, rubbish!
You are totally in your right not wanting to use CarPlay but if the feature was available, you could just opt out of using it. There are so many Tesla drivers I know that would love to see a better integration of their phone with the tesla screen. I would totally use CarPlay as I have used in previous cars. Tesla should be more humble and give the user the option.
I haven’t thought about this thread in some time.
But lately...especially with Tesla’s attempt at having Text messages displayed and read aloud, I’m actually coming around to your way of thinking. I have read many other insightful arguments FOR the features from Apple and Android and I think I’m being swayed in this direction. Ok Ok .....“UNCLE”
I would try it. I might even find I love it. I was clinging to an idea that Tesla could make the system better, but it’s not happening that way.

Netflix has been absolutely flawless for me. Great implementation. only used YouTube once or twice and don’t recall any trouble.

Reactions: Scott7
Not a MS, but a MX which shares the tech:

My biggest disappointment with the MX (2020.8.1.1.1) car is the primitive infotainment. All cars @$85k slaughter it. Nearly all $30k cars maul it. Without Spotify (something I'd never used prior to the MX) I would have returned the car because you can't replace the head unit. "Play One Headlight by the Wallflowers" > "I'm afraid I can't do that Dave." And that's the USB system which only has a single front row USB available. The Cellphone Music mimics a $20 Bluetooth iPhone speaker from China. I was incredulous that I would have to fiddle with the cellphone while driving, which is illegal in my state. A stripped rental 2019 Ford F-150 is better in every way but locating recharging stations. You don't have to believe it, rent one.

I assumed Tesla would have a complete infotainment module, but Tesla still comes up short for 2020. It has so little functionality, that I stopped exploring it within 3 days and become giddy when a common function actually worked. Note that if it had an AM radio, I would listen to Talk Radio and the issue would be non-existent for me. Yeah, a 1968 Chevelle suits my infotainment needs but a 2020 Tesla does not.

Maybe it does much more than I can make it do. I'll never know. I'm just crossing my fingers that Spotify doesn't get nerfed.

For those claiming Carplay does nothing? hahaha... Sure. Keep telling yourself that. F'g SIri works! Yes indeed. "Eevee tell me the weather" > "Not in my job description, take it up with my union steward."

The bizarre thing is that none of the major auto review outlets reported on it. They trash the infotainment on cars costing 1/2 as much that do twice as much.

Why the rant? I did research the car prior to purchase. There is so little unbiased information on it, that I had no idea it was so primitive. Yes, I read some complaints but they were out numbered by "WOW the new MCU is soooooo grand! I'm in heaven!!!". It is inferior to all 5 of my other EVs. None were as expensive.

• Love
I was just travelling where I have a Chevy Bolt. Using Apple Carplay with my podcasts, maps, Siri, and messages was such a joy. Now I am back home and am reminded how sucky the proprietary Tesla nav is.

For those that play the security card every time as a fanboi last ditch effort to keep everything Tesla does perfect, I call shenanigans. If Tesla can get code from various streaming companies and random arcade games going on their platform, Android Auto and Apple Carplay should be no different. In fact, modern code is probably much more secure especially in the case of Android Auto that is Open Sourced.

For those who will defend Tesla to the end, please give me time to get a bottle of Teslaquila first so I can at least enjoy the drinking game.

Android Auto and Apple Carplay for Tesla screen shots.
89639139_1061326117569850_8091237761643708416_o.jpg
89763851_1061326057569856_6757456610131443712_o.jpg

Photoshop credit goes to Roberto Mezquia Jr. on the Model 3 forum in Facebook.

The CarIndigo site:

2021 Tesla Model S Electric Review- Release Date, Changes, Interior, Specs, Performance, and Rivals

appears to claim that Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are coming to the 2021 Model S. Can this be confirmed? Or is it simply a mistake by CarIndigo?

On another page of the same website:

2021 Tesla Model X Review- Changes, Features, Specifications, Range and Rivals Comparison

it states that Carplay and Android will not be in the 2021 Model X. I assume that if Tesla were to add these popular music control programs to the Model S, it would do so for the Model X (and hopefully Models 3 and Y) as well.

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

The CarIndigo site:

2021 Tesla Model S Electric Review- Release Date, Changes, Interior, Specs, Performance, and Rivals

appears to claim that Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are coming to the 2021 Model S. Can this be confirmed? Or is it simply a mistake by CarIndigo?

I'm sure it's a mistake by an eager editor copy-and-pasting to make an article. If there is somehow support coming (which is very unlikely due to the nature of the agreements carmakers have to sign to support carplay and android auto), the odds of it being only leaked and picked up by CarIndigo are de minimus.

I'm sure it's a mistake by an eager editor copy-and-pasting to make an article. If there is somehow support coming (which is very unlikely due to the nature of the agreements carmakers have to sign to support carplay and android auto), the odds of it being only leaked and picked up by CarIndigo are de minimus.

Yeah, I think Greentheonly would have found carplay long ago.

Similarly, I'd be shocked that software would go to the S and not the X, as they have the same exact set up.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352