Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is with Telsla’s half baked audio solutions? This time Apple Music won’t play music 70 percent of the time I get in the car with the screen showing “choose media source” until I reboot the entire Tesla.
Spotify is also half baked, FM radio crashes at least 10 percent of the time so you can’t change stations, etc.
When will Tesla actually put some effort into this? It’s like a second grader is programming these apps!
And no, this doesn’t make me feel comfortable about the quality of programming for vital car functions either!

I have the same issue with Apple Music, but I have no issues with Spotify or FM or any other platform in the car.
Just Apple music refuses to continue playback when I get into the car and drive and very often get the prompt to select media source.
I've stopped using Apple music as primary.

Reactions: lifjoy
I have had the same issues with Apple Music not playing and getting the “choose media source” problem. It is an intermittent problem but still an inconvenience. To fix the problem, I push the little person icon in the top right and sign out. I then sign in with the QR code and my phone. I hope this issue is resolved soon.

I have had the same issues with Apple Music not playing and getting the “choose media source” problem. It is an intermittent problem but still an inconvenience. To fix the problem, I push the little person icon in the top right and sign out. I then sign in with the QR code and my phone. I hope this issue is resolved soon.
I've done that a multitude of times, but I admit that I've give up on Apple music in the car. Just not worth the stress.

It's hit or miss with the Apple Music implementation (mostly miss). I don't know what the trick is - it will start a playlist and play one or two songs, then start to play another and after 2 seconds skip to another, then a third or fourth, then bail and turn on the radio. It's like it only had a chance to download a song or two and can't keep up. It has a mind of its own. Is the trick to use shorter playlists or can I download while on wifi?

I also see “choose media source” when starting the car, but I just open the Apple Music app and select my playlist from the recently played section and it plays fine. It’s only a couple taps. No need to reboot or sign out and back in. I’ve never had the issue with it switching to radio after skipping multiple times.

I get the "choose media source" thing when getting into the car sometimes when I left with Apple Music on. I've found that pushing the left scroll wheel down once or twice usually start playback where it left off.

When I first started using Apple Music I think it was getting stuck and required a soft reboot seemingly at least once a week. It has been getting longer between reboots to get Apple Music working again, so hopefully it means something is getting worked out.

I've also gotten the “choose media source” error lately. I suspect that it means that I have exceeded the 10 device limit on my Apple Id. Also, it looks like the Apple Id is profile specific (i.e. so you can have your own playlist). When I cleaned up some old devices in my Apple Id account, I was able to Sign Out, then Sign On. Now the car keeps the media source set to Apple Music as expected.

What is with Telsla’s half baked audio solutions? This time Apple Music won’t play music 70 percent of the time I get in the car with the screen showing “choose media source” until I reboot the entire Tesla.
Spotify is also half baked, FM radio crashes at least 10 percent of the time so you can’t change stations, etc.
When will Tesla actually put some effort into this? It’s like a second grader is programming these apps!
And no, this doesn’t make me feel comfortable about the quality of programming for vital car functions either!
Same problem here. I only started paying for Apple Music so I could hear it in my Tesla - and it rarely works. I get the same "choose media source" msg.

Same here; works about 10% of the time (I’m running 2023.2.12 on a 2020 M3). Otherwise the only fix I’ve found if I want Apple Music from the console (not via BT) is to complete a soft reset by pushing both steering wheel buttons which takes takes a few minutes and is beyond annoying. I believe Tesla has confirmed this as a known bug and has stated that an obverse the air update” will occur once the issue has been identified. Even more annoying for me is having to manually connect my phone/Bluetooth nearly every time I get into the car. It’s currently set as the “Priority Device” and also is the only one listed currently. FRUSTRATING!

My issues nowhere near as bad. I just wish Apple Music would continue the same playlist when I get back in the car. Rarely it does but most of the time even if I just get out of the car for a minute when I get back in I have to deselect the playlist and listen to the same music (in a different order but it replays the same songs).