Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music integration…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use Apple Music without having to resort to a voice controlled workaround.

I do a fair bit of voice controlling with the car itself, so have to admit I’ve never thought of sticking ‘Hey Siri’ in front of a few of them now and again as being particularly onerous or, indeed, a workaround.

If this was full fat CarPlay I could see the point of getting somewhat enthused, but Apple Music on its own seems a bit, well, what’s all the fuss about.

Reactions: Js1977
iTunes Match was rolled into Apple Music as “iCloud Music Library,” so there’s no need to have both subscriptions. My wife’s playlists have some songs greyed out. I think these are songs that are legacy “iTunes Match” songs rather than AM songs (even though there are AM versions of the same songs, so I believe we just need to refresh the wife’s library and replace the Match songs with their AM counterparts).

iTunes will allow you to purchase tracks that you can then download (unprotected) and/or stream on your devices.

iCloud Music Library (iTunes Match) will match your own songs (e.g. from CD) that are available in iTunes to buy and allow you to listen to them on other devices, but it will also upload anything that doesn't match so that you have it available.

Apple Music is a subscription streaming service that will allow you to download protected tracks for offline playback, but they need to be re-authorised periodically. Not all tracks on iTunes are licensed to be streamed on Apple Music and not all of those that licensed are available in all markets - that may be why greyed out tracks are appearing for some people.

The three services overlap in functionality, but your particular requirements will dictate whether you need more than one of these services.

Personally I have a few CDs that are not available on iTunes so I subscribe to the match service to have them available. Oddly they have shown up in the car on Apple Music in my playlists, but I've not tried playing them yet - I suspect they will not work.

Reactions: boombap
Not got the update yet, but to date I’ve been happily voice controlling Apple Music to the car using ‘Hey Siri’ and with full access to my entire library and playlists etc.

What does this Apple Music update offer that I can’t do already?
You no longer have to interact with your phone. You have a choice now.

I prefer having the music UI on the big Tesla screen.

Reactions: Scott7 and boombap
If you open the Apple Music “app” it opens a large window over the map area showing the full UI. This shows full albums, playlists, etc. There aren’t as many functions as with on the phone (ie. no ability to disable explicit lyrics), but the base functionality seems solid.
Yes, that almost full screen screen UI what I was interacting with. It just wouldn’t show me a list of songs when I selected one of my personalized stations.

Not everyone has as much enthusiasm for voice control as you do

Maybe I’m in a minority but I find talking to a phone or a car unnatural and a bit jarring. Also the few occasions I’ve used the voice controls on the car it’s been pure garbage - it once thought “turn off wipers” was “turn off wife”…
Did it work? it may be an early Christmas software perk 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Js1977
The “+” that becomes a checkmark when clicked - I suspect that’s more like the “heart” button which means play more like this. I don’t think it adds to your library because I looked at the recently added in my library which is visible in the car, and the one I clicked wasn’t there. However anything you recently added from other devices is available in your car. OK I take that back, the + does add it to your library! I saw it in recently added on one of my iOS devices later.

I did not notice any delay in playing music. The car was connected to home WiFi, so that may be why.
Interesting, I first noticed it when connected to WiFi which definitely shouldn't happen but then I also see it on Premium Connectivity (although, perhaps not all of the time, hard to tell).

I don't understand the '+' or checkmark cause so far I have only tried playing my own playlist which is obviously in my library. Those should only apply to those not yet in your library, I think?

Interesting, I first noticed it when connected to WiFi which definitely shouldn't happen but then I also see it on Premium Connectivity (although, perhaps not all of the time, hard to tell).

I don't understand the '+' or checkmark cause so far I have only tried playing my own playlist which is obviously in my library. Those should only apply to those not yet in your library, I think?
The + added the song to my library from one of the “stations”. Yes, it would seem that if it were already in your library it would be grayed out or something.

Not experiencing delays here.

Yes, that almost full screen screen UI what I was interacting with. It just wouldn’t show me a list of songs when I selected one of my personalized stations.
I‘ve popped out to the car and had a play around. To confirm, my personalised stations and AM generated Favourites/New/Chill/etc. playlists did appear on the main screen. Selecting one of these brought up the track list. However, selecting a personalised station did not bring up the track list, instead just playing the song. The car appears to see these as a radio station, so there’s no upcoming track shown.

Attachments

• 62F62040-A340-4AE5-8EDB-895B84777922.jpeg
    62F62040-A340-4AE5-8EDB-895B84777922.jpeg
    641.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 28A941CC-C27A-4345-832E-9EF3E0E22639.jpeg
    28A941CC-C27A-4345-832E-9EF3E0E22639.jpeg
    385.6 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: AudreyHTX1
I‘ve popped out to the car and had a play around. To confirm, my personalised stations and AM generated Favourites/New/Chill/etc. playlists did appear on the main screen. Selecting one of these brought up the track list. However, selecting a personalised station did not bring up the track list, instead just playing the song. The car appears to see these as a radio station, so there’s no upcoming track shown.
Interesting. I wasn’t getting those lists at all. I obviously need to play around more.

I guess they customize those named mixes for everyone. My Chill Mix is mostly smooth/cool jazz with a little soul thrown in.

Last edited:
The mixes are personalised for each person based on their listening history. They’re fantastic.
Of course I know that. I just found the contrast interesting since I hadn’t seen someone else’s chill mix list before. Yes, I love the personalized stations. Apple Music does a great job for me.

This album popped up yesterday. Love it.
ETA: Wow, plays in-line at TMC. Had no idea!

Last edited:
OK, I looked some more, and there are lists for Chill Mix and New Music. But not for others I had previously clicked on. Obviously there are some differences in these various icons that I haven’t figured out yet.

Did anyone noticed that Apple Music app in the media player doesn’t let you play an explicit song? Whenever a song has the little E for explicit it cannot be played. If selected within an album it will jump to a non-explicit song of the same album or it will just pause music. Has happen to me in iPad or iPhone when explicit content block was turned on, but on the tesla music player there is not a setting page where you can disable the filter. I’ve tried checking on apple Music on the web, but those setting don’t seem to transfer to the car.

I’m really excited about the addition of Apple Music as I have a subscription, but to use the UI in the car, Premium Connectivity is required. I let it go after the trial, as I think it’s too much ($13.99/mo in Canada). So without paying “twice” is there an effective way I can just use my phones 5G with AM through the Tesla app? I read mixed reports about tethering, but I have to imagine that’s the only way for it work? I’ve got lots of data on my plan, and I’ve just been streaming through BT but it would be great to more safely access the AM interface in the car. Thoughts?